Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

The Smile version all the way. A solid substantial part of the whole thing. 5

2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

The "Good Vibrations" stereo extraction is good enough for my ears, I'm not super picky about these things.

"our Prayer" available in stereo on Made in California (smile version) or 20/20 (20/20 version.)
    "Heroes and Villains" is on the Smile Sessions as a bonus track. Though if you use the theoretical single mix, I go with soniclovenoise. Otherwise, the stereo single is on the 2012 Smiley Smile, as well as earlier compilations.
    "Cabin Essence" from 20/20.
    "Surf's Up" from Surf's Up or from the vinyl Smile Sessions side 4.
    "Vega-tables" from Smile Sessions or Made in California.
    "Wind Chimes", ditto.

Just about everything else I go with soniclovenoise, some vocals are missing though.

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

WC 5/5

One of the core tracks, imo.

4. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I should have clarified. I am wanting the SMiLE Sessions versions of the songs. Is the SMiLE Sessions Surf's Up available in stereo?

Thanks!

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

My Smile is like 90% stereo.

Prayer - made in cali
    H&v cantina- verses still mono, everything else stereo pieced together from sessions
    Wonderful - mono synced up with stereo backing track
    Holiday - from.sessions
    Cabin - 20/20
    Fire - from sessions, crackle added
    Child - stereo verses and bridge from sessions, chorus 2 different vocal choruses panned into a pretty good pseudo stereo (I forget who made this chrous)

Gv - Smiley Smile
    Wind Chimes - made in cali (removed prolonged intro)
    Look - sessions
    Vegetables - cali (removed intro)
    Do You Like Worms - session parts aligned with vocals from highlight track
    Surfs Up - Brian fly in lead vocal, from vinyl

Phew.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  6. Luke The Drifter

So not an easy task at all.

7. Lance LaSalle

It's on Side 4 of the vinyl smile. It has some studio chatter at the beginning, though that needs to be edited out.

Aftermath and Luke The Drifter like this.
  8. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Having the "tinkling winds" piece before or after is lovely! I should have given "Holidays" a higher score because of it. The "On a Holiday" version makes me think of pirates now when I hear the instrumental version. "Wind Chimes" - My favorite is the stereo version on MIC, or it's mono counterpart. The GV take has a bad edit @1:09, but I like it, as well. But! I grew up with the Smiley Smile version, so that's also fantastic with the stoner vocals. And, that one has the "whispering winds/tinkling winds" as the tag. A youtuber, Summertime Blooze, has a mix I like, too. It's a 5/5 song in all variations. "Dorothy, it's time to go!

9. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

soniclovenoise does some wonderful stuff. Should have mentioned him, myself.

pablo fanques likes this.
  10. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

Wind Chimes is another favorite. The first time I heard the Smile version I thought the abrupt change after the first two verses was a bit jarring. Now I really like it. I think of it as an insight into Brian's creative process. He's chilling, listening to his chimes tinkling in the wind and a melody occurs to him. He then takes his newfound musical idea and turns it into a big Beach Boys production. So you have a soft, dreamy section (perfect for Carl's voice) followed by a big rollicking chunk of kitchen-sink style Brian Wilson weirdness. I can't help but want the song to end with Brian returning to his chimes-induced reverie via the whispering winds coda. So I always tag it onto the end. Not really that revisionist since that's what he ending up doing on Smiley Smile. However you approach it, it's a fun listen and an unusually ear-pleasing piece of avant-garde music. 5/5

11. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yeah, the GV boxset has that clunky transition but it is more concise than the SMiLE sessions, which goes on a bit too long for me. 4/5

Chris M likes this.
  12. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

In response to your first question, yes indeed. Nice analysis and I concur, re: Water Chant. :righton:

13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Wind Chimes:
    Goes from a relatively humble beginning to something big and quite amazing. The Smile Sessions version is nearly perfect, IMO. The layered piano verses---three of them, from about 1:42 to 2:11---are terrific and (to me) show how Brian was thinking big with this project. The cool bass riff just before the end of the song is so inventive. Brian really outdid himself on this one. 5/5

My only complaint about the version on the Smile Sessions box is they omitted a fourth and final layered piano verse (a stunner) that would have begun at 2:12, but I think that was probably because of damage to the session tape for this take.

14. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

15. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Wind Chimes [SMiLE Sessions Ver.]:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-2 votes
    4-1 vote
    5-8 votes

The MEZ likes this.
  16. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Today's song is The Elements: Fire:

17. Lance LaSalle

Big fat 5.

Love the flown in vocals. Wish we had a stereo version with them.

18. Uncle Ernie

Essential (elemental) piece of the Smile project. I prefer it without the intro, though. Placing that shortened Fire piece between whispering winds and some iteration of Cool, Cool Water creates a powerful and dynamic flow for me. 5/5

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm angry at myself for missing all of the Smile action here! "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" is powerful, frightening piece of work, quite unlike anything else in their catalog. I don't know if I can give it top marks as a composition because it's a bit too monotonous, but I still dig it. It definitely evokes a sweltering inferno. 4/5

For my own personal mix, I nixed the "H&V Intro" part and replaced it with that little bonus crackling effect from the end of disc 4 on the box set. It's like the figurative lighting of the fuse.

20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Fire - 5/5

Really amazing piece of music. He conjures fire with sound. As I only listen to my own version of Smile my "Fire" doesn't have the fly-ins, but they are pretty well integrated here. The remake earned Brian a Grammy.

The addition of the H&V intro was a modern idea (David Leaf) but I like it's placement and use it myself, shamefully.

21. Uncle Ernie

It’s a very interesting piece of music and I’d like to know the inspiration for it. It always made me think of the scene in the 1960 movie The Time Machine where the Eloi are entranced by sirens and led to the Morlocks’ underground lair. It even has the pounding underground machinery for percussion. And the protagonists’ pounding on the metal door at the end of the scene reminds me of the fire extinguishing percussion at the end Fire. In addition, the Smiley piece derived from Fire—Fall Breaks and Back to Winter—reminds me of the underground scenes with the Morlocks and their creepy grunting. Both the music and the title of FBABTW make me think of creatures burrowing into the earth. So maybe that piece has some connection to the earth element. Anyway, I wonder if Brian liked that movie or was impacted by it. I know it freaked me out as a kid.

Here are some clips from the movie to show what I’m referring to:

The Time Machine (1960) Morlock Fight

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  22. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"Fire" is great.. The sessions we have are very interesting to me.. it's very well thought out. Controlled chaos..
    and maybe the only time flown in vocals on "The Smile Sessions" worked.

5/5

23. Luke The Drifter

Fire - 3/5

Should probably be higher. It does evoke fire, and I love the percussion at the end. I take off the intro, and I meld it to Water Chant for The Elements (still thinking about adding the Tinkling Winds also, and following it with Wind Chimes although I do love the Water Chant into Good Vibrations). I also really like the flown in vocals here.

24. Lance LaSalle

The percussion at the end reminds me of a house collapsing in upon itself.

25. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

Fire 4/5

The ones I missed:
    Wind Chimes 5/5
    Vegatables 4/5
    Surfs Up 5/5

WIND CHIMES IS MY FAVOURITE BB TRACK AND TO MY EARS IS MILES AHEAD OF THE Smiley-Smile version

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.