Disney buys some assets of 21st Century Fox?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 6, 2017.

1. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

The obstacle to the remastering/re-release of the OT's theatrical versions is not legal, it's Kathleen Kennedy's loyalty to George Lucas - "I wouldn't dream of tampering with George's vision" - those films, in their original iterations, could theoretically be given immaculate new 2K scans tomorrow from secondary 35mm sources (like an IP print, for example), remastered, and reissued before year's end if the will was there...

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Kathleen Kennedy clearly didn’t understand the strangely worded question. Many believe that she was under the impression that she was being asked if further alterations would be made to the trilogy. The interviewer asked if the final cut would be altered. She said that she hadn’t touched those and that the final cut will always be Lucas’s. The pertinent exchange comes near the end of this video. Disney will release the theatrical versions when it’s in their best interest to do so.

enro99 and Luke The Drifter like this.
  3. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Hopefully Disney will realize the are leaving $$$ on the table by not releasing the original trilogy theatrical versions on bluray.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What's your source for this opinion? I haven't seen any statement from Kennedy pro or con. I think she has her hands full trying to hold the franchise together at the moment.

I think another way of saying it is, "Disney will release the original theatrical versions of Star Wars when they feel like it." Predicting what large corporations do is almost impossible -- so much has to work its way through committees, endless meetings, discussions, arguments, marketing issues, economic concerns, and so on. And they have a very real problem of what to prioritize at the moment. At many studios, they're mainly worried about what's coming out between today and maybe 3 years from now. They don't spend a lot of time worrying about films that came out 35-40 years ago, no matter how important the films are.

At least Disney has sewn up the rights now, and that's the biggest missing piece of the puzzle. Now that they own everything, it's a lot harder for them to argue that it's "too much trouble" or "costs too much" or "they don't have the time." Kennedy could just hire a dozen people and appoint them to be the "Lucasfilm Archival Committee" and put them in charge of restoring everything, once a release date is established. And they most likely won't announce a date until the work is well underway. I think it's not inconceivable that they could release a 9-film boxed set in Summer 2020, which would be 6 months after the release of Star Wars IX.

Dan C, Luke The Drifter and Encuentro like this.
  5. The Hermit

Yep, you're absolutely right; I had read that quote from Kennedy and presumed it was a direct answer to a direct question relating to the OT theatrical versions, but I was wrong to presume not just that's what she was talking about when I hadn't actually heard it myself, but also that she was being quoted correctly in context (yeah, I know, proper context on the internet? Silly me for even thinking such a thing!)... the interviewer was clearly talking about the Lucas SW films in their current forms and the possibility of altering them further in the future... naturally, Kennedy wouldn't touch them in that respect... but that declarative statement on her part certainly did not imply anything relating to the OT theatrical versions or the possibility of a remaster/re-release thereof in the future.

That's actually rather encouraging then... so when the Mouse owns the Fox, shall we expect some progress on the OT theatrical versions front sooner rather than later?

See above... and yes, I'll have that extra large slice of humble pie too, while I'm at it... just put it on my tab, you know I'm good for it.

:tiphat:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Encuentro likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

dewey02, David Campbell and Encuentro like this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

A big box would be a big mistake. I only want the old films. I'm not buying the prequels again and the Disney Star Wars I'm not buying at all. Streamed them once or twice, that's enough.

And I also feel that to much time has passed. I'm not that interested in Star Wars like I was ten years ago, and the old films can be had for free thanks to the many fan restorations.

I'm sure the old trilogy could sell somewhat good, but only a fraction of what could have been 10-15 years ago. Young people don't buy 40 year old films

audiomixer and ElevatorSkyMovie like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

apesfan, Dan C, audiomixer and 3 others like this.
  9. I'll be heartbroken if Disney completely axes Fox's iconic fanfare. It's an indelible piece of cinematic history. I also hope they leave Fox Searchlight alone.

enro99, Dan C, Frederick Mars and 2 others like this.
  10. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Apparently, the unpersoning of the 20th Century Fox logo has begun.

TCM deleting logos? - CLG Wiki

Did I mention how much I hate Rupert Murdoch? I never liked him. Never.

Dan C likes this.
  11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

The movie division of FOX still makes some of the industry's best films.
    My fear is that era is soon ending...

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I try not to get emotional about corporate mergers and such, it’s just part of life. But this one kind of hits me in the feels. It does feel like an obituary to something great.

dan c

13. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

It's funny how things turn out. Until now, one of the greatest lost treasures among the logo community was the United Artists/Transamerica T combo, seen on virtually all UA films from 1968 to 1981. The logo was lost after 1981, when Transamerica sold UA to MGM. Now, with MGM licensing its films to various video labels that perform new scans and remasters, many, if not all of these logos in particular, have been restored.

The 20th Century Fox logo might become the new United Artists/Transamerica T combo.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    PhantomStranger and sunspot42 like this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Disney will have the best Movie streaming service soon as - Netflix loses a massive number of vintage films from its service.

15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

The best?!?
    That’s highly debatable.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Kiko1974, alexpop and BeatleJWOL like this.
  17. Anytime there's less jobs, less chance for interesting films and less competition, it's rather sad. I was never a fan of Murdoch (or his political beliefs and abhor Fox news) but he was true to his word for the most part Fox operated with little oversight on his behalf.

Vidiot, sunspot42 and longdist01 like this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Disney is very likely to gut Fox. Thirty years ago, no one could have anticipated Disney taking over Hollywood like this.

RobRoyF, andrewskyDE, Deesky and 3 others like this.
  20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Curiously, 30 years ago nobody would have thought Apple would ever be the #1 tech company either - they'd already entered what we presumed would be their long decline.

Jobs had a hand in both turnarounds. Remarkable track record.

RobRoyF and longdist01 like this.
  21. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Any possibility of Disney streaming classic TV shows like "Adventures In paradise"?

22. The Hermit

Jeez Louise, the author of that article just couldn't resist unnecessarily politicizing it even whilst writing about the end of an historic studio :rolleyes:... get a grip, man!

The trouble with the Mouse/Fox union, as I see it (aside from thousands of job losses), is that under the new regime FOX itself will only make around 5 movies a year as opposed to the 14-15 they produce now... and we all know those half-dozen or so movies will almost all be big would-be tentpole releases; there's a lot of really good movies that FOX were producing once they finally got rid of Rothman a few years back that wouldn't have been made under their new Disney overlords.

And they wonder why the talent is going to television these days...

enro99 likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The author of the piece is Peter Bart, who's one of the leading experts alive on Hollywood history from the last 50 years. He was a reporter for The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal who became a Hollywood studio exec in the late 1960s/early 1970s, and eventually wound up as the editor-in-chief of Variety in the late 1980s through the 2000s. Very, very astute, aware, and informed reporter. This is identified as an opinion piece, and you either agree with it or you don't. But I think Bart makes very good points.

supermd, davidarob and sunspot42 like this.
  24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It's sad .. and end of era .. But, nobody stays on top forever..
    I roll my eyes on streaming .. I'm just waiting for it get hacked like computers..

apesfan likes this.
  25. I didn't know that Marc Rich had something to do with Fox for some time. The details about Mr. Rich are not right, he first came to Spain and got Spanish nationality till the end of his days.