Disney buys some assets of 21st Century Fox?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Lets see whats happens to Disney by 2023 ..
    when most franchises maybe die under there tight leash and lack of originality
    Disney is like the Titanic in way to big to sink .. we will see.

2. The biggest threat to Disney is ESPN, which is shedding subscribers left and right. The cable business model is dying and ESPN's brand has been badly tarnished over the past decade with sport fans.

Disney wanted to spin it off because they know it's a fading business model with no real long-term growth prospects. Leagues are cutting ESPN out of the action more and more with their own networks.

AlmanacZinger and Crimson jon like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I couldn't even stand one hour of that Spiderman film. Awful.
    I did like the Lego movie they did before Solo.

5. budwhite

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You'd be surprised. I think Sturgeon's Law has merit: 90% of it was probably crap, but the corollary is that 10% was probably pretty good... which means 25 potentially-good film scripts & deals killed due to politics or philosophical differences. Doesn't make them bad films, let alone sequels or reboots. We don't know.

You mean Spiderman: Far from Home? I believe that has made $1.10 billion dollars and currently is at a 90 on Rotten Tomatoes and a 69 on Metacritic, which is fairly positive. I only thought the film was "OK," but it was not horrible to me. Note that was technically a Sony film in association with Marvel/Disney, so it's not a Fox film per se. The more interesting wild cards are what Marvel will be doing with X-Men, Wolverine, the Fantastic Four, and Deadpool, all of which are now under the official "Marvel Cinematic Universe" at Disney. I suspect there will be many more films for you to dislike in the near future. Me personally, I hope they don't screw them up.

Stormrider77 and longdist01 like this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

8. budwhite

No the animated Spiderverse movie

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

In the world of accountants and lawyers, this is paradise :righton:. No shortage of work for them to report, maintain and build on that structure.

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Not a good analogy as they were only producers on the Spiderman film, they didn't direct it.

11. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Vidiot likes this.
  12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Given the recent track record of Fox films, can you blame them? After pulling so many rotten apples out of a barrel, at some point it just makes sense to chuck the whole barrel...

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

This is also the best argument yet that Rian Johnson didn't go too far off the rails Disney had in mind for Lucasfilm with Last Jedi because if he did, he'd have been gone too.

sunspot42 and Vidiot like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought Spiderverse was a wonderful film -- in the look, in the story, and in the characters -- and I believed it hit a 97 on Rotten Tomatoes (stunningly high) and 87 on Metacritic, plus it made $375 million on a budget of $90 million, which is a big success by any measure. Critically and financially, it did very well; I believe they've already committed to doing two animated sequels on the basis of that one. So if you hated it, you might be the only one. I agree it's not the same Spiderman in the comic books or the live-action films, but I give them respect for trying something new that's original and interesting.

15. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Yep I have mostly tuned out myself. There used to be a time where I would pay for cable just to watch sporscenter after work with a drink or 3. Now I watch everything online through my tv, phone, laptop including highlights.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  16. budwhite

I know. I was expecting to really like it. But it didn't click at all. I usally watch a movie all the way through even if it's bad,
    but I fell asleep after one hour and didn't resume it the next day. And that was a month ago.

17. Does this mean that all the Sky networks around the world are now owned by Disney?

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Fox sold their stake in Sky to Comcast.

Sky UK - Wikipedia

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm guessing you and the public & I have vastly different tastes.

20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I didn't realize Disney scored National Geographic in the merger.

This could ultimately be a good thing. They have deep pockets and could exploit the brand while keeping the print/online publication going.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Beforehand, The Disney Channel shared the same building as The Playboy Channel for years, and both of their (critter) mascots had exaggerated ears!

budwhite likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And in case anybody wanted to know what the Fox-less "20th-Century Studios" logo would look like from Disney, here it is:

This logo just came out a few days ago, released on a handful of films.

Deuce66 and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The film library of National Geographic must be deep and of quite good quality, and the strong synergy with the Disney brand was a no-brainer. Great content for streaming.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I didn't either. That is quite an archive of information!

sunspot42 likes this.