Disney comics - any fans?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JulesRules, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Huge Barks fan. Always wanted the CB Library as a kid. Now get to buy them from Fantagraphics (and formerly Gladstone/Gemstone) in COLOR. Shouldn't be too many sets left. Don Rosa is also great. And the Floyd F. Mickey strips r gold. Anything with Dippy instead of Goofy is the sh@t

2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

Yes, topo is mouse, so Topolino is literally "little mouse", and paper is goose (!), which makes Donald a "little duck".
    In German, Donald Duck has always retained his name, Mickey was Germanized into Micky Maus (see post 3) - same goes for Minnie, who's been Minni for ages (just like in Italy), but recently Disney requested that she grow an "e" so she's now Minnie in German too. Some of the side characters got really different names though.
    I think a lot of comic fans are making a distinction between the Disney comic universe and Disney as a company.
    The latter has never been much involved in the former, ever since Walt stopped drawing the comic strip in, what, 1929?, and Floyd Gottfredson took over. They still have to approve things but other than that, the comic has evolved relatively on its own.
    So the fact that there is a lot of product out there is down to the respective license holders, which are different publishers in different countries - Egmont and Sanoma in Northern Europe, Panini in Italy, Culturama in Brazil (all of which also produce their own material). And as long as they sell well, they will continue to produce product. I don't see how that is any different to other comics which have been going for many decades.

Mind, I'm not talking about merchandise and the like; I have very little interest in that. I'm interested in the art and storytelling, not the characters as lifeless icons (see the article "A Panel Shaped Screen" I linked above about the distinction).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Shoes1916 and beccabear67 like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yes, I agree...a lot of "fans" are willing to look the other way when it comes to giving them permission to purchase something they want.

As for myself, I have only two Disney-based comic books, which I prize dearly. They are two issues that were re-printed by another company in the underground comics tradition, and did so when they found out this material had been allowed to lapse into Public Domain. The Disney lawyers were particularly brutal to them afterwards, having determined a thing they no longer had ownership of, was a slight they could not let civil negotiations resolve. The books were not so much intended as a source of income, but rather to show the world they could do it, and Disney's lawyers couldn't stop them.

I treasure these two issues as I do my initial two copies of Beatles Ultra Rare Trax, or as one might a brick from the Stonewall Inn.

lambfan68 likes this.
  4. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Don't keep us guessing. What r the 2 books?

5. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Shoes1916 likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not really the two I was referring to, although these are of course highly significant.

It would take some digging to locate, as my collection is in relative disarray in the basement. Back in the 'aughts, there was a basement flood, and what survived of my 3000+-issue collection...were in the boxes sitting on the tops of the boxes which were on the floor the night the sump pump failed...and, we were all the way over in Bethlehem at a show. Didn't realize what happened until midday the next day, when I was walking the dog, and saw dozens of neighbors bringing stuff out of their own basements, thinking to myself, "well, we've never had a problem with our sump pump...!" I only checked downstairs on a whim that day. But bottom line, even my cataloging is in disarray at this point, so I'd have to look through dozens of surviving boxes that may or may not be in some semblance of alphabetical order, just to see if these two survived, in my 1500+-issue collection. I've told this story before here.

But I was referring to two actual Mickey Mouse re-printings drawn by Disney himself, which had lapsed into Public Domain. I purchased both at a comic store in the Des Moines IA area, published in the mid-1980's. They came in black, sealed plastic bags, and they were the original article, reprinted by a legal loophole. I don't recall if they were strips anthologized, or actual pages from actual comic-book-format originals, themselves re-formatted and anthologized in their original comic format release. Perhaps somebody can help jog my memory, please? After all, this is a thread for Disney comics enthusiasts...!

7. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

8. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

The best news I've received in the first days of 2021 and hope for an omen of bester(sic) news to come. Reading Don Rosa wasn't like a tale from Unca Carl as much as a story from an older brother.

JulesRules likes this.
  9. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

It looks like these were also reprinted in the Fantagraphics MM series.

Speaking of Fantagraphics, I need to organize my library and figure out how fat behind I am on the Barks and Rosa volumes while they are still available.

JulesRules likes this.
  10. JulesRules

Don Rosa will be on livestream again this Saturday! Here's the link.

11. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I bought (nearly) every issue of the "Donald Duck & Co" magazine between June 1986 and October 2001. Many of them are collected in binders and my son (8) reads them before sleep most nights now. I am also a big DonRosa fan like you guys and I got a signed Captain Kentucky book signed by him.

JulesRules likes this.
  12. JulesRules

Seems the Don Rosa link was removed, so here is the new version... set your clocks to Saturday

13. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Oh yeah! Being a cartoonist myself, I love all comics! All stories don't interest me, but I learn from all the different artwork, from the more serious to the more comedic.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

15. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

That is the charm of Unca Carl. He was serious about his work-serious comedy,especially aimed at 10 year old boys. Imagine if George Pal teamed up with Barks on a project. I wish for a real Time Machine that could achieve this,with Spielberg bankrolling the results

JulesRules likes this.
  16. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Aimed at children of all ages... :love:

JulesRules likes this.
  17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

My Mom was a big Carl Barks Donald Duck fan without knowing it (he was never known until the '70s, supposedly all the comics could only say Walt Disney as if he personally created everything); she had a lot of those classic stories from the late late '40s and early '50s (though many were probably the Canadian editions). She remembers they were in a box that fell off the truck when the moved house once so I never got to see those. Pressing her for memories of comic books she also liked Little Lulu and a DC comic named Peter Panda but would read my uncle (her brother)'s Roy Rogers, Blackhawk, and Bobby Benson B-Bar-B Riders comics too.

She went to some big local premiere for Cinderella and the kids were all given Disney stuff (also long gone now).

JulesRules likes this.
  18. JulesRules

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Micky Maus just reads so wrong to these American eyes :p

JulesRules likes this.
  20. JulesRules

The German names are pretty inconsistent. Micky Maus sounds exactly the same as Mickey Mouse, but Minnie used to be "Minni" until Disney ordered a change. Goofy is Goofy but Clarabelle Cow became Klarabella Kuh (verbatim translation there), and Horace Horsecollar Rudi Ross, although in older issues he was sometimes called "Horaz". Donald Duck is Donald Duck but Huey, Dewey and Louie are Trick, Trick und Track, and Uncle Scrooge is Onkel Dagobert... (and he lost the McDuck, which is a bit stupid since it suggests that all the Ducks are related. At least due to Don Rosa's interpretation, Scrooge's sister Hortense McDuck married a guy named Duck, which is why Donald is called Duck and not McDuck...)

Best of all are the German names that sound vaguely English but have no relation to the originals - like Kommissar Hunter (Chief O'Hara) or Mac Moneysac (Flintheart Glomgold)!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. JulesRules

Here we go again

22. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I like Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck

JulesRules likes this.
  23. JulesRules

Sadly, the amount of viewers was less than last time... so no Scrooge figurine giveaway… :sigh:

24. JulesRules

Easter special

beccabear67 likes this.
  25. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Beautifully illustrated, imaginatively written adventure stories. Barks was incredible.

JulesRules and Uncle Miles like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.