Disney+, long-rumored Disney streaming service, launching in late 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

2. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Does the *8 LG OLED WebOS offer a native Disney+ app?

3. NickCarraway

That's in reference to the crows, and it's an improvement from the original plan which was to excise those shots.

Now they need to copy the path taken with the Breakfast At Tiffany's blu-ray release, and release Song Of The South with a featurette discussing the objectionable depictions in that film.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I prefer the disclaimer and to leave the contents of the films alone. If someone doesn’t want to see those scenes, no one is forcing them to. Leave it alone for those who appreciate the films as art.

porieux, Dude111, PTgraphics and 6 others like this.
  5. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I agree with you that it is much better than (typically quiet) censorship, but why does it need any discussion at all? "Cultural depictions" have become "obsolete" (pathetic wording btw) throughout the ages, without the audiences of the times losing their minds over it. What's different about the modern mentality that people can't handle it, I wonder, and need their hands held?

funhouse, IFP, budwhite and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The kids can handle it and don't care... it's for their woke parents.

7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

That’s why I can’t abide “political correctness”, I see it as a more insidious form of censorship, especially regarding literature and art. You learn from history and art, you don’t sweep it under the rug or lock it away just because you find a reason not to like it. :mad:

Frangelico, Dude111, Exotiki and 7 others like this.
  8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Just got this. Glad is works on the Fire Stick and Roku TVs.

9. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

Too bad they still removed that joke blooper from the end of Toy Story 2.

10. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

"Cultural depictions" may have become obsolete "throughout the ages", but that's an utterly irrelevant generalization. We are talking about a streaming service geared towards children, that includes content not from "ages" ago, but from the last seventy years or so, some of which is rightly considered racist.

*You* seem to be the one "losing your mind" over a bit of text that precedes an old film in one specific 2019 context. It bothers you so much, that you have to vent about it here. Yet the idea of buck toothed "Asian" cats looking right out of WWII propaganda, singing in a poorly stereotyped accent and acting shifty and untrustworthy, is something everyone else is, in your estimation, supposed to just ignore. Do you need *your* hand held, because of a disclaimer before a sixty-five year old cartoon upsets you so, that people just can't "handle" racist stereotypes? Why is the idea of people being sensitive to racist caricatures and depictions so unthinkable to you, yet some of you are so sensitive to the idea of "political correctness" that is sounds like you're headed towards cardiac arrest over it?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

well I found this on Google Play on my Sony set, I sure its great for some ,But I own all he Disney Films I want ,and was more Interested in seeing what Fox movies they have, and was surprised that they had next to nill, While some of The National Geo stuff is great,its a tiny amount of whats in the Nat Geographic Vault, Unlike Netflix and Amazon they do have 4k movies (Netflix has little to nothing movie wise in 4k,and Amazon doesn't have any that don't cost extra)

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Apparently the Disney+ and Apple TV+ content show peak streaming rates of over 60 Mbps, which is on par with discs but using more efficient codecs. It is the highest quality of any streaming service, by far. So if you care about quality, I'd seriously consider getting an Apple TV 4K and supporting both services. Of course I'll be sticking with discs and going down with the sinking ship. If anyone recovers my body, please bury me with the other luddites.

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I have a question I can't seem to find the answer to - I see that there are some currently running Disney shows that have new seasons that started this year and those new seasons are not in Disney+ - how long before currently running programming makes it to Disney+?

14. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

Not in my future. I still prefer physical media, as streaming of that magnitude would be almost impossible for one living out in the sticks with subpar satellite internet. Although to be fair I haven't jumped on the 4K thing since 1080p is enough for me for a good long while. But the streaming-only thing is still an issue in non metropolis based areas with too many limits.

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I have no interest in Disney+ to begin with, but even if I did, the cropping of the Simpsons would be a huge deal breaker. Totally unacceptable.

16. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I wonder if they will show GOOD MOVIES like Song of the south and The Sound of Music :)

17. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

It appeared on my oled b8 After a firmware upgrade on November 11th. This Disney app must be the native one as it was part of a firmware upgrade which is now 05.10.35. John M.

18. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Sound of Music is on Disney+. Would be nice if they gave folks the choice to see Song of The South. Those who don’t want to see it don’t have to.

Dude111, BeatleJWOL and Pawnmower like this.
  19. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

I saw a pop-up message on my LG C8 saying the Disney Channel was now available for streaming, if that helps.

20. NickCarraway

Look upthread, "Dude".

Dude111 likes this.
  21. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

We started up our account last night on our X-Box One. So far we have just watched the first episode of The Mandalorian, but I'm planning on watching quite a bit. My first goal will be to make my way through the catalog of Disney Animated Studios films. I love Disney films both from a nostalgia perspective and from a historical/animation perspective so I'm really looking forward to seeing them, including some I've never seen. The 'Disney Vault' and the price of Blu-Rays has made it hard for me to collect them in physical media, so this is a great alternative. I'm going to start at the beginning with Snow White and work forwards.

The interface seemed okay, though perhaps a bit hard to navigate. It seems to be doing what Netflix does with the generic categories on the main page. I wish there were more specific tiles like 'Disney Animated Television Shows,' 'Disney Channel Original Movies,' 'Pixar Shorts,' etc.

We were sad to see that they don't have my husband's childhood favorite The Barefoot Executive on there, but they do have The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. I also didn't see shows from Disney's One Saturday Morning like Recess and Doug. But maybe in time. For now, the amount of content available is really quite something. And the price is extremely fair.

forthlin likes this.
  22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm trying to commit myself to re-watch "Spider-man and His Amazing Friends". Haven't seen these since I was a kid.

Does Disney own the 60's "Spider-man" cartoons? I have the DVD set but it would be nice if those and the other 60's Marvel cartoons got added in the future.

"Doc Bruce Banner... belted by gamma rays...."

guppy270, PhantomStranger and vinnie like this.
  23. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

24. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Disney+ is missing one episode of Spidey + Amazing Friends, the one that was taken out of syndication years ago. It's the one with Adolf Hitler and Nazi imagery in it.

They do also have the strange, rarely seen (I think) other early 1980's Spider-Man cartoon that uses the same animation and character designs as the Amazing Friends show, but Iceman and Firestar aren't in it, and I think Spidey's voice is different, which is an odd thing when you are familiar with the other show. But what I've always found funny about it is that Spidey is always swinging around talking to himself, so that the audience can understand the plot. He seems very lonely and truly needed his amazing friends!

I don't know about the 60's show except that I think the DVD set in the U.S. was released by Buena Vista (Disney), before they even bought Marvel. It would be nice to have all those easily accessible because there's so many episodes, and the final run of them get nicely weird.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  25. NickCarraway

David Campbell and BeatleJWOL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.