Disney+, long-rumored Disney streaming service, launching in late 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I wish they'd publish the list of titles available (on this and other streaming sites).

I'm curious if they have old live-action movies available like The North Avenue Irregulars, The Strongest Man in the World, Apple Dumpling Gang, etc.

2. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Yes to Strongest Man and Apple Dumpling, no North Ave.

3. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Not having kids is the key. Disney doesn't market to you. They have two cable TV channels that are very popular. Their yearly animated movies usually rank in the top 5 grossing movies of the year. Their theme parks are packed nearly year round. Disney World, in particular, is mind-bogglingly huge now, they have something like 30,000 hotel rooms spread across 25 resorts feeding into five theme parks, and two water parks. Stores that carry toys often will have a separate Disney section (our local Target does.) Not to mention, of course, the Disney stores themselves. The flagship locations, like the stores in Chicago and New York, are gigantic.

So Disney branding is definitely a thing.

coffeetime and Stormrider77 like this.
  4. Yeah, that must be the case. Other than that whole Disney streaming service ad campaign (and maybe the extremely occasional Disney theme park advert), I don't think I've heard the brand-name "Disney" more than a handful of times in any given year -- for maybe 20+ years.

We watch certain cable channels (and definitely NEVER watch plenty of others). And I *never* watch sports on TV, so I'm always astounded at the ad campaigns I here when my wife tunes into her KU Jayhawks basketball games, and the whole March Madness thing. We live in Washington DC, but she listens to Sports Talk radio (an old Kansas City station, from where she grew up, and where we moved here from), and occasionally she won't have that on headphones on, and again -- it's like A WHOLE NEW WORLD, in terms of different advertising that I'm used to hearing otherwise.

(I also listen to a ton of NPR, so no adverts there, so to speak, other than sponsorships - to entirely different demographics than the sports stuff.)

jbmcb likes this.
  5. forthlin

You are a carrier of Disney infiltration...and you never even saw it coming;)

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm probably late to the party but I just happened upon the "Vintage Disney" section. WOW.. This is some of the stuff I was hoping to see on day 1.
    Better late than never! Some Silly Symphonies, Mickey Mouse Club, etc.

7. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Nice. I have heard that it's a sampling of classic Disney but is anything complete? I hate paying for a service and then getting distracted with other things and not watching. I'll probably investigate on this rainy Saturday.

8. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Disney properties likely to suffer in the short term:
    ESPN (no sports being played)
    Theatrical films (gotta do that social distancing)
    Theme parks (they're closed and it's Spring Break)

Disney properties likely to prosper in the short term:
    Disney Plus (adults doing the "cowering in fear" - excuse me "sheltering in place" thing)
    Disney's cable channels (see above, but for children whose schools are closed)

Licensed products are probably a wash: kids'll want more toys to occupy their free time, but nobody's buying new clothes

The only subscriptions D+ will lose are the Star Wars folks who (1) signed up; (2) watched the Saga in remastered 4K and S1 of Mandalorian; (3) unsubscribed. And surely the suits and pencils at MouseHouse factored those folks into their P/L projections.

forthlin and Michael Rose like this.
  9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

For me, $6.99 a month for Disney+ is the deal of a lifetime and I'm not even interested in 95% of the content. I like things like the Mandalorian, the Imagineering Story, the old documentaries, and the animated shorts from the 30s and 40s (of which a few hundred are not yet available). I couldn't care less about all the 90s/00s stuff, sitcoms and all that.

My kids are 7 & 5 and they've never cared much about TV at all. I have to be like "hey, dad wants to watch a movie with you, come on." As a single dad I don't have the time to watch TV like I'd like to. I am more for music and sleeping. But I am very pleased with Disney+. I really hope they keep adding the old vintage stuff.

Jrr, coffeetime and forthlin like this.
  10. Sunflower

Sunflower Senior Member

My work will be shut down from tomorrow for 3 weeks and I’ve just signed up to Disney + what do people recommend to watch.

BILLONEEG likes this.
  11. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Zootopia and Up are great Pixar movies if you’re into what they do. I also liked the Good Dinosaur. These are all made for children but I enjoyed them as an adult. Hope that helps.

905 likes this.
  12. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Disney + is seriously the best deal for streaming. So much great stuff. Being a young kid in late 80s early 90s all my favorite cartoons from that era are on there especially The new Adventures of Winnie the Pooh because that not even available on DVD. Plus get to watch all of the Pixar and Disney films from the last 15 years that I haven't seen yet. Just watched Frozen II was a lot better than I expected. The graphics are incredible.

The Vintage Disney live action movies and documentaries are what I've really been hooked on and especially the Mickey and Friends classic shorts.

Recently watched both of the Davy Crockett films and loved them. Also watched That Darn Cat and that was a lot of fun to watch.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I noticed that The Sandlot already got removed again.

14. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

If you're a Disney fan, you'll find a lot to love. Enjoy the searching & surprises. One thing I will recommend is "Star Girl" with Grace Vanderwaal. I watched it, loved it, & now I want it on Blu-Ray. I also hope they do a sequel.

Mr. H and Sunflower like this.
  15. forthlin

I think some titles will come & go due to licensing agreements struck before the streaming platform was created. Over time I'd expect most of these titles will end up exclusively under the Disney umbrella.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I did see this:

[​IMG]

forthlin likes this.
  17. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Read that Star Wars The Rise Of Skywalker was released early on Disney+ in the States to cheer everyone up.

Did they do the same on the UK/Europe service?? Did they f**** - you can wait until April 13th!

18. OneChance

OneChance Forum Resident

Here's a good site to see what's new: JustWatch

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

20. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

How comes my LG TV apps haven't been updated to have a possible trial on it?

Is it only viewable on a Samsung as with the Britbox service?

21. forthlin

If you have an Amazon Fire stick you can get Disney+ At least here in the U.S., not sure if it's different on your side of the pond. Of course the app also works on computers & mobile devices.

Quadboy likes this.
  22. NickCarraway

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Don't forget, there's a live action Robin Hood in the pipeline. :)

24. NickCarraway

Here are the LG models with D+

Quadboy likes this.
  25. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Watched Onward yesterday. It’s definitely my new favorite Pixar movie. Surprised by all the mixed reviews. But being a total fantasy nerd may be the reason I enjoyed it so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.