Disney to produce self-destructing DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ascot, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

What are the odds on this? Two threads on the same topic posted at the SAME time!

I removed mine.

mud-:D

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

That's discusting!...LOL! Hey all you DVD Burners out there. fire 'em up and start copying...leave it to Disney..although I'm surprised Lucas or Spielberg didn't have a hand in this...What's next???

4. Michael

50/50? LOL! We all just think alike!:laugh: :thumbsup:

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

They never learn....DIVX died an ugly, deserved death....self-destructing DVD's? They've finally lost their minds....:rolleyes:

All assuming it actually works. Be funny if they 'self-destruct' a bit prematurely, or somehow manage not to self-destruct at all. Imagine MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE if that tape doesn't burn up in five seconds....

ED:cool:

6. Michael

Good! That'll give a lot of people movies for a great price!...It'll backfire right back at 'em...:laugh:

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, who knows? Every time a scheme like this is hatched, it never goes anywhere or, if it does, not the way the inventors anticipated. Them's the breaks. Even if this does work, what's the point? Seems senseless...

ED:cool:

8. Michael

MONEY...there is no other point when it comes to DISNEY or any of the major players....They see no point if it doesn't have a HUGE number attached...

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I will not "buy" into this scheme.

10. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

This sounds like Divx all over again. One of the reasons why DVD is so huge is because people collect them! Can you imagine all the waste that will be created with thousands of people potentially throwing away these discs. Leave it to Disney to think up something this awful.

11. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, but there's only a 10% chance of that! :D

12. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I saw a report on this about two or three years ago - the more complicated they make a system to use and the more variables that can go wrong the more will go wrong - Disney has a long way to fall.

Disney release many discs that are not technically DVDs they are DisneyDVD and the DVD logo doesn't appear anywhere on the packaging. One of the reasons this has been implemented is to enable them to incorporate additional non-standard encryption/copy protection mechanisms - with the result that their discs sometimes exhibit problems playing.

Not the right way to go about creating happy paying customers IMHO.

All the best - Andrew

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hey great! Another chance for me to vote with my dollar and watch another ill-conceived format fail :thumbsup:

Will those lawyers ever learn?

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Most people I know would rather buy a DVD than rent one...

15. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

It's the environmental thing that worries me. Suppose it does work and people do rent these - what happens to the waste??? Being an American living in Europe, I often am priviledged to hear my European friends discuss American culture. One recurrent issue is that we waste far too much of everything. This is just another case in point... :(

Dave

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

This smells like Eisner somehow.......:sigh:

17. Ere

Ere Senior Member

What if it backfires and instead of getting destroyed, they actually split into hundreds of pieces and each piece morphs into a duplicate CD:eek:?!

Ere

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.