Disney Treasures DVD collections

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by floyd, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

There's no mention of it here. This site is pretty anal about that kind of stuff. I'll keep looking though.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Gotta grab them as soon as possible...before the ebay secondary
    market prices soar. Especially with Disney.

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

here's the link that I mentionned above:
    Mouseplanet

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Doesn't that just mean They transferred it as non-anamorphic letterboxed widescreen? I'm not sure why they would do this, but when it is done with a show that includes 4:3 clips, they have to decide whether to windowbox the 4:3 stuff in the middle of the 16:9 frame, which only uses about half of the screen area on a 4:3 television, or to show them at full resolution, which will crop them if you are watching on a 16:9 set in zoom mode.

The Stanley Kubrick: A life in Pictures Documentary is non-anamorphic letterbox with the film clips from the 4:3 stuff not letterboxed at all, for instance.

Regards,

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

You're guess is as good as mine. THe author states that he picked it up for under $10 - almost worth it just for Duck Dodgers, but I'm holding out for a LT/MM collection.

6. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Damn glad I got my copy when I did. Low number too. #1449. I told my neighbor to get it for their children, but did they listen to me??? NNNOOOOO!!!. Oh well. I tried. Great set of DVDs. I recommend them all. I really like the Disneyland USA and the Micky Mouse in Living Color. Cool!!!!

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The only one I have is the Silly Symphonies set, and it's a winner. My favorite(although for some reason it's at the end of disc two)is the 1929 B&W short Dance Of The Skeletons. Some incredible vintage Ub Iwerks animation makes this a classic.

8. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

My 19-month old daughter LOVES the Micky Mouse in Living Color set! We play a couple of shorts for her every few days. Her enthusiasm spurred a wonderful trip to Disney World a few weekes back.

9. Ken_McAlinden

If you like these sets, The Digital Bits Rumor Mill has some information about what will be coming in the series in late 2003.

The gist of it is a "Disney in Space" set, a "Wartime Cartoons" set and another character set - possibly Donald Duck.

Regards,

10. RDK

RDK Active Member

Sounds great, Ken! I have the three "Disney in Space" episodes that I recorded off of Vault Disney a while back, but I'd pick this up on DVD in a second (especially considering the bonus stuff).

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Maybe someone can help me on this...On a weekly episode of Walt Disney's World Of Disney from the 60's...Billy Mumy steals a prize watermelon or pumpkin and learns the consequences of his dirty deed? I posted this earlier, can anyone remember this eppy?

12. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I think it was called For The Love Of Willadean

13. Ken_McAlinden

They updated the Rumor Mill. It looks like Disney in Space will not make it as part of the 2003 batch, but we will likely be seeing The Chronological Donald, Disney: The War Years (including "Victory Through Air Power") and Mickey Mouse in Living Color 2.

Regards,

14. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

I look forward to these, I've really been enjoying all the ones I have. The Complete Goofy is great and I saw it around in several stores. I was in Disneyland a few days ago and they had lots of Davy Crockett sets that one I havent seen outside of Disneyland lately but you can get it relitively cheep on ebay ( I guess I should do that)

15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I bought the Reluctant Dragon a couple weeks back when I saw it at a Borders in Denver. Man, it's SO cool!!! I used to see other sets around town but they're all gone. :sigh: The one I really need to get is The Complete Goofy.
    I won't make the same mistake with the next batch. The War Years and the Donald sets I'll snap up immediately.

Dan C

16. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

After much searching over the weekend, I finally found the two titles I was missing. The Reluctant Dragon one and the Disneyland one. Now if I can just find time to watch them. I bought Goofy and Mickey B&W months ago and haven't finished them yet. For that matter, I have a stack of DVDs on the floor to watch if I can tear myself away from the stereo.

17. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

These sets seem to be something you've got to grab it when you see it because there is a big market on ebay and the prices go well over retail. I thought I was lucky to find the Complete Goofy in a "Boarders Books" in Madison for $30 only the next week to find 5 or 6 copies at a "Disney Store" in a mall in Phoenix for $22.50. You never know.

18. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

If anyone is looking for either the Reluctant Dragon tin or the Disneyland one I saw them this week at Downtown Disney in the World Of Disney store. I'm fairly sure they will take phone orders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.