Disparaging Beatles reference in 1964 film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wie Gehts?, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

I was watching a certain well-known movie the other night and was amused to hear the following dialogue from the film's male star: "My dear girl, there are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs."

Name that movie! (The Dom thing should be a dead giveaway.)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

"Goldfinger".

3. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Yeah, and who would have thought at the time that both Mr. Bond and the Beatles would still be going strong, or stronger, nearly 40 years down the road.:)

Jeff

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

THAT's the amazing part, that both James Bond and the Beatles would still be both part of our culture more than 40 years later!

Evan

5. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Doesn't he do an about-face and make a pro-Beatles statement in a subsequent film (maybe Thunderball or Diamonds...). I remember thinking, "Wow, to stay hip, he had to eat his words!"

6. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Or that one of the Beatles would do the theme for one of the movies!

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Excellent point; one I had forgotten to make myself!:D

Evan

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

You know you're really a pop culture icon when you become an adjective:

Bondian
    Beatlesque
    :cool:

9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

To be fair, in 1964, most everyone, not just a particular screenwriter, assumed The Beatles were a passing fad.

10. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

True

OTE]Originally posted by Ron Stone
    To be fair, in 1964, most everyone, not just a particular screenwriter, assumed The Beatles were a passing fad. [/QUOTE]

>>>this statement is very true, in fact, the buzz around the record business in July 1964 when Vee Jay won the right issue Beatles Product until Oct or so was that Vee Jay got the best of the deal.. even EXPERIENCED record company people thought The Beatles would be long forgotten by Summers end. They thought that by the time Capitol had the right to take over The Beatles releases that another new group would be the rage.

TO be fair tho, they had seen this happen many times before....a group is all the rage, their next record bombs and they quickly fade away as the next group has their day in the sun.

It just didnt happen to The Beatles, thats all.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'll say.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I love finding things like circa-1964 music articles debating the relative merits of The Beatles versus The Dave Clark Five and speculating about which one will truly stand the test of time. :)

Regards,

13. RetroSmith

I think the DC5 have gotten a raw deal. Their music rocks as hard as ANY act, and I mean ANY act from the 60s.

"Any Way You Want It" is about as raw a record as anyone, including the Beatles ever recorded.

"Catch Us If You Can" was a brilliant Pop record, and if the DC5 hadnt used it in THIER movie, it would have been right at home in a hit movie.

"Because" was a beautiful ballad (and so was "Always Me", the great "lost" DC5 song) that really showed how talented this band was.

There were also lots of Lp and B sides that would have been hits had they been released as singles. Stuff like "Forget", "Say You Will" "You Never Listen" and "Thinking Of You Baby" could hold their own with anything The Stones put out during the same period.

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I was not bashing the DC5, only pointing out that to most people following pop music in 1964, The Beatles and the DC5 had about the same potential for future success, and that the idea of a Beatles vs. Dave Clark 5 poll seems pretty silly now that we know what happens.

Regards,

15. RetroSmith

Oh I know, Kenny.

I was just pointing out that the DC5 was much better than how history remembers them now. Theyv were right up there the Beatles and The Stones at that time. Todays writers dont relay that, but it was TRUE!!!!

16. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Agreed!!! It was not just true, it's fact!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.