Disputes: PayPal or Credit Card?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Mike-48, Oct 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self Thread Starter

I have done many audio transactions online. This is the first in a long time that seems to be going sour.

A used integrated amp ($800) was received in fine condition as promised, but its remote was received with damage from leaking batteries. I believe that although the seller was unaware of this, he should make good on it. No such remotes are on eBay; a new one from NAD is about US $95, including freight.

After some communication, the seller seems to be ghosting me.

Have people had better results using PayPal or credit-card companies to resolve such issues? Unfortunately, just shipping the unit back to the seller costs over $100.

2. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

If you used PayPal, I would definitely report the issue to them. They will mediate it.

Shoes1916 and Mike-48 like this.
  3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

If you used your CC via PP, start a complaint with them (CC and PP). It may take time but unless the seller disclosed the issue of leaked batteries in the remote, I suspect they will make him make it right.

Mike-48 likes this.
  4. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Hit the sellers with both barrels-cc and paypal. Take a pik of the leaking remote and include it. You should be ok.

5. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Years ago, I accidentally bought counterfeit software licenses on eBay using PayPal.
    Verified that the keys were counterfeit in chat with the software developer.
    Made a screenshot of that confirmation and opened a Paypal dispute.
    I used the screenshot as proof - it was accepted by PayPal and the sellers’ phallacies were ignored.
    The PayPal transaction of that purchase got reverted back to me.

Mike-48 likes this.
  6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

One time I had to do that-but one of them (the credit card? I forget) dumped the complaint as they said the transaction was already being disputed. So I would start with PayPal.

Shoes1916, Mike-48 and csgreene like this.
  7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Actually, you're right. I had a situation some years back and the same thing happened. The OP should start with PP and see where that goes. Good point!

Shoes1916 and Mike-48 like this.
  8. Mike-48

Thanks for the idea. I think that (as @head_unit notes) PayPay won't accept a dispute if it's already in progress with the CC company.

I'll give the seller another few days to respond, then file the dispute with PayPal. Seems to me that most of the gripes I've heard about PayPal were from sellers, complaining that PayPal sides with buyers too often.

9. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Can you just clean the remote?

10. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Yup.

PayPal is WAAAY better than any CC company; faster, easier & will actually listen & help.

CC companies will ignore, ask for more info., require long letters, and then just ignore and/or decline to assist.

Dave likes this.
  11. Mike-48

That's what I asked for. I don't know if PayPal grants partial refunds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.