DIY Tube Phono Pre ~$500 - Tubes4Hifi PH16? EAR834 clone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ProfessorC1983, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProfessorC1983

ProfessorC1983 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking to upgrade from my Schiit Mani phono stage and definitely want to go with a tube-based solution. I'd prefer the DIY kit route so I can customize parts like caps, etc. I'd describe my soldering skills as moderate and chassis construction/modification skills as lacking.

I've seen some good things about the Tubes4Hifi PH16 and also have been reading up on building EAR834 clones based on either the Douk or Xuling PCBs. Can anyone comment on the SQ differences between these two options? Or is there something else I should be considering?

I'd like a solution with a wide range of gain and loading options (though I don't necessarily mind breaking out the soldering iron to make those changes), as ideally this would be my endgame phono stage to last through several carts. My current source is an Ortofon 2m Blue on a U-Turn Orbit, but I plan to upgrade sometime later this year, perhaps to a VPI Classic with Grado Reference series cart. Though I also may want to experiment with MC in the future.

Remainder of system is an Elekit TU-8200DX tube amp powering both Zu Omen MkII's and Senn HD650's. To which I'll soon be adding a still-in-progress DIY preamp based around a relay stepped attenuator (Twisted Pear Joshua Tree) and possibly an Aikido unity-gain tube buffer stage thrown in for good measure.

Suggestions appreciated!

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Suggest you put Bottlehead on your list. I've no experience with their phono pres, but have built a handful of their amp kits. Great products.

3. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

I moved from a Lehmann Black cube 2 se, to a PH16 with a SUT for theHana SL.
    More 3D bigger soundstage , and the ability to tube roll.

4. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I have the prebuilt Douk 834P clone. It hummed and blew fuses the first day I had it. Turned out to be nothing more than a bad JJ ecc83 tube. Swapped all the stock JJ tubes for NOS Mullard and Telefunken and has been amazing ever since. I’ve been tempted to upgrade the caps but it sounds so good (much better than the SS Phono pre in my Mcintosh preamp), just with NOS tubes that I haven’t felt the need to do upgrades.

5. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

I built a Xuling 834 that is modified to use 6N2P-EV tubes. It took some time and effort to get it dead quiet, but it’s a stunning photo stage and was a really fun project.

6. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

Can second Bottlehead. The Seduction (now the Reduction if I'm not mistaken) served me for many years. Great piece and fun to build too.

EDIT: I now see that you wanted something with loading/gain options. You won't find it easily with the Bottlehead phono kits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

waaguirr and timind like this.
  7. thetakeout

thetakeout Forum Resident

mdelrossi - What Step Up Transformer are you using? I have been jonesing to hear that Hana SL!

8. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

Cinemag, 1254, setup as 600 ohm.
    Sounds great!

9. Fdee

Fdee Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.