Do I have to decide between having an automatic turntable and a good turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oscillation, Apr 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I run two tables on my main system.
    My manual for when I'm doing focused listening.
    And currently a Technics SL1700 semi auto for when I may not be available to jump up.
    The 1700 is almost time capsule and shipped cost less than my Music Hall 2.2 that I drove 3 hrs round trip to pick up.
    And sonically the 2.2 (now moth balled) is bettered by it.

Stanton56, rcsrich and McLover like this.
  2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Techmoan wanted an auto deck and found one:

Snazzy jacket as well.

3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

There are always trade-offs when it comes to turntables. You have to prioritize features for yourself.

For instance, I use a Pioneer PL-S30, which I have had since the mid-80's. It has auto-return. The tonearm with counterweight is decent. The anti-skate actually works after all these years. (New Audio-Technica tables are notorious for failing anti-skate.) The platter is metal, but sturdy.

On the other hand, the lightweight aluminum and plastic base would be completely unacceptable for most on this forum.

Putting an AT-95E cart on it (with an upgraded stylus) has given me sound quality that I can live with.

If this turntable ever gives up on me, I will likely replace it with a U-Turn Orbit. That doesn't have auto-return, but I know that going in. I simply decided that it wasn't a deal-breaker for my next table.

If you want one option, you may need to sacrifice another.

You may have to go vintage. Maybe a new Denon or Audio-Technica is more appropriate.

As with everything, perfection is not possible, but you should be able to find what is right for you.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  4. Bruno Primas

Bruno Primas Forum Resident

I own a Kenwood PC-400U Belt-Idler manual turntable and a Elac Miracord 50H that are both in a system in my rec room. The Elac gets waaay more use simply because of it's automatic functions. The Elac has a 5 lbs. platter, compared to the 6.6 lbs. platter on the Kenwood. I don't feel like I'm missing anything using the auto over the manual tt. Cartridge and stylus choice have more to do with it than the table, IMO.

If I'm feeling particularly naughty, I might even stack a few.....

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  5. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Damn, son, you nailed it! Well said.

6. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

My understanding is that they design them in Germany, source and manufacture parts in Taiwan. Germany, and Czechoslovakia and assemble in Germany.

Fremer noted in Analog Planet, Nov, 20, 2019:

Last year Thorens returned to Germany, reorganized as Thorens GMbH under new CEO Gunter Kürten—an audio industry veteran and former CEO of ELAC. While many charge that Thorens is more a marketing company than a designer and manufacturer of turntables, it does and has had a design team that works with companies like Pro-Ject and the German company that currently builds turntables under the Dual name among others.

Unfortunately, over the past decade or so, the company’s precise manufacturing history became somewhat cloudy. In other words, among the company’s many offerings, it’s not clear who makes what or from where the parts are sourced.

Big Blue likes this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Ever heard of background music (and not from tapes or digital). I am physically challenged, I own both manual and semi automatic turntables (and one Dual record changer).

Angel66 likes this.
  8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It doesn’t turn the record for you, though, right? So all it’s saving anyone is some time in the runout groove. Which isn’t nothing, but I don’t see the huge benefit in terms of background music. You still have to change it yourself...

Gregalor, McLover and trd like this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And bear in mind, that electronic servo arm is at the stage in life, where many are not functioning correctly. Too complex for it's own good today (as Denon had too few technicians in this country trained to repair one, nor are spare parts available). Same goes for the JVC and Sony servo tonearms. I love Techmoan's YouTube channel.

Pinknik likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

How many turntables ever did that, and were acceptable for Stereo use? None. Sorry, does not hold water. Likewise compact discs, and 1/2 track Open Reel tape (Superior to 1/4 track open reel).

11. Slick Willie

In my house, the kitchen and dining room are I loft configuration overlooking the listening room.
    If I'm cooking, washing dishes, eating, cleaning records..... or whatever, I feel no rush to lift the arm.
    There is a reason so many autos were made.

12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

But that’s what I’m saying. What is the difference between automatic or manual for listening to records while not being close to the turntable to change a side? Just some time in the runout groove. The need to go to the turntable to change a side is not alleviated by automatic.

13. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

This is thread is a fine example of why I stick to CDs and streaming with no intention of ever trying vinyl. I'd never be able to quit worrying about "vinyl things" and actually enjoy the music, and this is coming from someone who likes finicky maintenance requiring tube amps.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    vwestlife and csgreene like this.
  14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Nah, I don’t worry at all except for when I’m actually handling the records!

April Snow likes this.
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Please name me a high quality plays both sides automatic turntable? Sorry, Sharp's is not it. Name me a two side Redbook compliant compact disc? The only plays two sides good turntable/changer is the short lived Fisher/Lincoln offering (which was offered in one console that year). If made today, it would cost as much as a new Lexus. The other main offering which was automatic on a side level, was the Seeburg HSC (Home Stereo Console) which used a modified version of the Seeburg Select-O-Matic mechanism used in their jukeboxes. And could play multiple LP sides.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  16. Slick Willie

You've just chosen a different poison.

17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Why would I name something for you when I am not saying any such thing exists? I have no idea what you are responding to when quoting my posts here...

Gregalor and TheVinylAddict like this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

You were discussing automatic, plays both sides as in turning the record over. I just told you which automatics could, and for the benefit of the forum. Carry on.

19. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I'm looking for similar.

It comes down to vintage gear on the verge of breakdown or the new Thorens (There's a DUAL version too.)

20. If you want a "stacker" fully automatic new turntable, you are out of luck. The best thing to buy is a vintage changer, like an higher-end Garrard or Dual. For an aurto-lift TT, there is the Technics SL-1500 series. Myself, a few years back, I went with an Accutrac +6 programmable changer, that gives me the option or playing a stack of records or playing a single LP in any track order I choose.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I'd put the Dual 1009 forward to the Dual 1226 as their best changers. Comparable era ELAC/Miracord models are also excellent. Garrard I recommend sticking to the LAB 80 for best HiFi performance with modern cartridges. Technics built the superb SL-1350 and SL-1650 changers, both DD and take Ortofon/SME/JIS headshells (superb changers especially with all spindles present).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

No, you don't have to decide :) buy both.

dlokazip likes this.
  23. Those are good, but I would have to say that the Garrard Zero 100 would be the best of the bunch. You can probably put any cartridge you want into it that pleases you. Garrard sold tons of these changers and almost nobody wants to get rid of theirs, so, they are hard to find.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I don't know when you grew up, but this statement is very far from any facts.
    Yep, that's why a consumer auto table is not anything to write home about. Does it play records Yes, can someone totally enjoy one of these sure, it's good to have options. Options can also not be the greatest but they are there for people to choose.

You don't have to, but you should be open to learning.

It rides the groove in the dead wax until you stop the table and cue it up.

Your question
    Do I have to decide between having an automatic turntable and a good turntable?
    No, but everything depends on what you feel is good or good enough for you.

25. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

I remember a lot of automatic turntables back when I was a kid. I don't remember specific brands or models, so they were likely all crap, but I don't remember any of them ever actually working correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.