Do I have to decide between having an automatic turntable and a good turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oscillation, Apr 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

I guess you missed the point. The pics were to show the mess of excess mass under the hood that many automatics have compared to a higher performing tonearm, which has no unnecessary mass.

My highest performing deck, which is also my end-game deck, doesn’t even have a cueing lever :cool:

2. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

I have the plinth packed with about 3 pounds of plasticaly (non-hardening modeling clay).

Dr. J. likes this.
  3. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I think anyone would conceed that's a lot to have attached to the bottom of a tonearm, and I wouldn't be surprised if it affects sound. On the other hand, it looks to be about four times the size and much heavier (you're right, the weight is substantial) than what's attached to the bottom of the tonearm on my Technics. Will an auto-return Technics outperform a manual SL-1200? Not likely, for a number of reasons that include (but are not limited to) the tomearm. Will the difference make you run screaming from the room and destroy your ability to enjoy the recording? If it does, you've got bigger issues...

McLover, Oscillation, jtw and 4 others like this.
  4. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

Excellent appraisal! If it was that bad, no one would ever buy one.

5. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses? Thread Starter

Is 700 bucks a good price for a serviced technics sl-1200 mk2?

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Today, assuming it was actually serviced *properly* and not just cosmetically cleaned, yes. Watch out for hack jobs like crappy RCA cables and self grounding mods, non-working anti-skate, bad bearings, etc. Test before buying if at all possible. Don't buy anything that cannot be returned.

7. Oscillation

Here's what he says, I actually bought my amp from him which is working great. Funny that all of a sudden he's selling a turntable I may want too. Some of this may have been lost in google translate

Test on delivery!

First-hand !

Including Ortofon Concorde DJ silver

with original rubber mat

Work:

cleaning

Div Elkos replaced

Control frequency set

Pitch fader cleaned and calibrated

Replaced thermal paste in the voltage regulator and motor control IC

Set Brake Start Stop

Replaced needle lamp

Bearing shaft cleaned and re-lubricated with original Technics oil (SFWO010)

Tonearm height adjustment Cleaned and re-lubricated (special grease Original Helicoid Lubricant)

Sme headshell holder cleaning contacts

8. Oscillation

Well the guys at "fixmydual.com" Said they could sell me a restored Dual 1219 with 220V 50 Hz and a solid walnut wood base for about 1K with shipping. This is ranking pretty high on my list right now, and I think I would be super happy with it.

9. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

But is a Dual 1219 worth 1k?

10. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

A good chunk of that is probably for shipping to Switzerland.

11. Oscillation

Yup, If I spoke the language here better I might be able to find some service comparable in Germany, but then again it seems as if these guys are ahead of the race in terms of refurbishing these things.

12. Oscillation

I think it might be...just for the convenience factor. I mean it's basically got everything I want, and I know the sound, or at least I think I remember the sound, of those old duals. Fond memories anyway. I'm still a bit on the fence, cuz that would buy a p3 in good condition, but then, you know, walk over and pick up the tone arm :D

13. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

You speak or communicate perfectly in English with your writing.

McLover likes this.
  14. Oscillation

I have no problem with English, it's the German that confuses me :D

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  15. Oscillation

Good luck with that when the mushrooms kick in :D

16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

That's top dollar for sure!

17. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Or one too many beers…that’s when you want the fully automatic table. Just punch that button!

18. Oelewapper

Wow how much does that cost?!
    I mean, from Germany to the Netherlands is about 20 bucks with insurance...
    Some additional taxes since Switzerland isn't EU, but I didn't expect costs to exceed well over 200 bucks...
    That's even more expensive than when I import something from the US or Japan!

19. Oelewapper

Same issue here... while living about 30km away from the German borders, I always prefer them to speak English lol

20. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

There's no date on the article , but Bill at fixmydual.com was offering a fully restored 1219 with cart for around $425 and restoring them for less money. 1219's are selling for $500 and under on ebay in the US.

Dual 1219 Turntable – Old School | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

And although nostalgia is a powerful aphrodisiac, just be aware of what you're getting into:

Dual 1219 Idler-Drive Turntable Major Service & Repair

Slick Willie likes this.
  21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Big issues. Motor is a high risk bet (and no new replacements available). Motor on the weak side, sealed, lubricated for life bearings. Servo circuit stressed highly when motor has issues, often not practically repairable. Same goes for all belt drive Technics models.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, and provided you stay away from Mark II models. Get a Direct Drive model (a SL-1300 or SL-1600 are good fully automatic models, the SL-1700 a good semi automatic). If belt drive is your thing, get a good Sanyo TP-626 or a Realistic LAB 300 semi automatic. The Pioneer PL 514 is another solid choice along with the PL 518 semi automatic Direct Drive.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have Cerebral Palsy (mixed, mainly athetoid), I handle manual tonearms fine sans cueing lifts. That is professionally and at home.

Michael Macrone and rcsrich like this.
  24. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I recently purchased a SL1700 and love it!
    Great for when I want auto shutoff.

McLover, Oelewapper and rcsrich like this.
  25. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Hope my attempt at humor didn’t offend! Truthfully, I don’t think I’ve ever owned a fully automatic turntable, at least not as an adult. I believe the very first combo unit I inherited from dear old dad when he upgraded in the late 70s was a full automatic/changer. Since then, it’s always been direct drive semi-autos up until my Orbit purchase. I just find it easier to control the lowering of the stylus with a cue lever.

Hats off to folks who can smoothly cue without a lever, especially with challenges like you face. I’d be terrified!

McLover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.