Do I need an integrated amp or a receiver?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pericles, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident Thread Starter

Having recently become gainfully employed, I am now considering building a new system. I've never incorporated video into a system, so I'm not even sure whether an integrated amp or receiver is necessary for what I'm looking to do.

These are my viewing and listening habits, which I believe are quit simple:

- Stream movies/TV shows via Apple TV
    - Listen to lossless ALAC music files from iTunes and/or my iPhone via AirPlay or Bluetooth
    - Stereo only, may a sub one day
    - Maybe include a turntable down the road

Do I need an integrated amp or a receiver? Any recommendations for about $500?

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

This will largely depend on your speakers and whether or not you want to stream the files to an internal DAC. If you are just sending analog signals to be amplified, an integrated is enough. If you want to stream to a DAC, you will either need an external or either an Integrated or a Receiver with an internal DAC.

The rest of that stuff can be handled externally or within the device. Figure out your speakers first then find a device that meets your needs. An A/V receiver will likely have all these capabilities.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

if you don't listen to the radio a receiver can be unnecessary, but I always love my Marantz SD 2235b. I like having the radio option built in...

Stanton56, Gramps Tom and E.Baba like this.
  4. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Am I missing something ?

The difference between them is having a radio included or not.

Since you don't list radio in your listening habits then you don't *need* one.

Can't help thinking it's too easy so maybe I'm missing the point.

Mike-48 and Adam9 like this.
  5. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

You are correct about a receiver.

But I think when people are saying receiver they mean surround sound integrated amp or receiver. And use integrated amp to indicated a 2 channel integrated amp or receiver..

???

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I believe the Apple TV would also play the music files-BUT everything gets transcoded from 44 to 48 kHz, which is maybe not really a big deal but as an engineer it just bugs me. Tell us more:
    You want to play all through the same speakers? i.e. whatever the TV is showing, listen to that audio through the speakers? And when you say "iTunes" do you literally mean iTunes, as in stuff of your own? OR streaming Apple Music? AirPlay is sure the easy way to go for either, I play stuff (iTunes, Apple Music, YouTube, podcasts, whatever) from my MacBook Air sent to an AirPort express. To make it even simpler my next step will definitely be an AirPlay device. Ah...the lossless files stay lossless IIRC, someone correct me if I mis-recall.
    Onkyo USA Corporation
    has AirPlay, should be very nice judging by my friend's recent Onkyo (which I got on Craigslist for $30!!!!), and can properly accommodate a subwoofer. (Most 2-channel devices have no way to cut the bass out of the main speakers (aka highpass crossover) with a subwoofer connected, which is just stupid).
    POWERNODE 2i also can properly accommodate a sub. The $799 retail on their site is above your budget, but street pricing could be less, or a used Powernode 2 has AirPlay instead of AirPlay 2 which should be fine. The original Powernode also has highpass.
    Any multichannel receiver can also be used for what you want to do, ofttimes at a great price used. I prefer Denon, or some NAD models, as their Audyssey or Dirac room correction is more sophisticated. Some folks complain that "I'm paying for features that I don't use" however that is simply false, they do not understand the modern economics of mass production.

7. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

You don’t need a receiver. You just need an integrated amp with an HDMI input, Bluetooth, and a phono input in case you want a turntable downstream.

Check out the NAD C328 or D3020 V2

8. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

If that's the case it's no wonder I miss the point !

9. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

NAD is a fine choice. Also check out the Yamaha R-N303. Yamaha MusiCast app can tune internet radio.

10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Is there such a thing?

11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I do more or less the same thing with the Yamaha A-S501. It has an optical in as well as a sub out if you want one in the future.

A receiver is only necessary if you want to do surround. Everything else can be added on later.

Stanton56 likes this.
  12. siebrand

siebrand music lover

maybe... You don't even what a Receiver is?
    An Amplifier inly AMPLIEFIES... a Receiver is an amplifier with a Radio Optio in it...
    Do you listen to the radio?
    Than... it could be a very good choice to option for a Receiver.

also because, as I read, you don't have any pretension to listen to music in quality ... I repeat: a receiver really seems like a good choice.

13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Actually that is only a basic receiver. When people think of receivers of today they generally have far more options than just radio: HDMI inputs, wifi capabilities, multiple speaker outputs for surround. An integrated amplifier won’t have any of that.

14. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident Thread Starter

This was my understanding of the difference.

Yes.

Stuff I own. I only listen to CDs I have purchased, rip to lossless ALAC, and then listen through iTunes. No streaming of any kind, no Match or iCloud.

Thank you to everyone for the replies and sorry about my confusion regarding receiver vs. integrated.

As I have no interest in radio or surround, integrated seems to be the option for me. I believe with this configuration, everything that would play through my TV (streaming movies, my ripped music collection) would output via HDMI ARC to the integrated and then through the speakers (thinking of Paradigm floorstanders).

But I'm now also considering a Sonos setup and doing everything via Airplay. Maybe start with a pair of Ones and then build up with Beam/Playbar/Playbase, Sub, and maybe even a Connect:Amp if I plan to get a TT down the line.

15. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I may well be wrong, but I don’t know of any integrated amps with HDMI inputs. And if they do exist then probably not in the $500 range. Getting an integrated generally means sacrificing bells and whistles for superior components and audio quality.

gd0 likes this.
  16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Me either. Now, perhaps the Apple TV could be used just for sending to the TV, and TVs often have an optical out that could send the audio to an integrated amp.
    I'd favor an integrated plus Paradigms over Sonos. Although there have been a lot of advances in speaker design and signal processing, physics just limits the sound of small speakers (not just "Hoffman's Iron Law" but the physics of the physical parts). The small "lifestyle" speakers are really about aesthetics. I have to admit I'm curious to hear the HomePod, though it beats the heck out of me why there is no battery option for something so convenient.

17. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

I have an entire house full of Sonos products. Base, Bars, Sub, Play Ones, and a Play 5 at the office. I love all of it. It's easy to use, sounds great and worth the price paid.

The Connect:Amp and the newer amp are all overpriced and sound like it. The Connect streaming box allows me to integrate other equipment into the Sonos system for listening across the entire house. It works great using the digital out, but it's way overpriced and the internal DAC sound quality is sub par.

Sonos isn't really meant to replace a quality hifi system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.