Do I need more watts to drive ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2s?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BMill, Jan 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timind

timind phorum rezident

It was mentioned above by @noway , but you really need to understand the Fletcher Munson curve before spending money on cables and such. Read a bit of this: Fletcher Munson Curves

And then get an amp with a good loudness control to compensate.

2. BMill

BMill Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I did read that.
    Which is why I bought the 801.
    Which has a loudness control.
    But, now a bunch of people are saying I should just get better speakers!

timind likes this.
  3. timind

timind phorum rezident

Have you listened with the 801 yet? Did the loudness control help? If so, give it a while, but be advised, there are always better speakers to be tried. Just a matter of how deep your pockets are.

4. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I would avoid spending money on better speakers until you are satisfied with an amp - and that amp can drive even inefficient speakers satisfactorily. Otherwise, you'll be limiting your speaker search...

Just my $0.02...

patient_ot likes this.
  5. BMill

Played them last night and I thought the 801 was fantastic. The mid section felt more buttery smooth and wider? (Sorry Im not great at articulating this stuff.) And the loudness dial worked as advertised. Low level listening is no longer an issue with audio suffering (at least to my ears). My only question is whether or not the bass is as articulate. I felt like maybe the Onkyo's bass lines popped a little with rock stuff. I'm going to listen to this unit over the next week and A/B with the Onkyo though. Mind you this was only an hour or two last night.

I have a lot of configurations to mess with hah, I was also thinking of seeing how it sounded without my mofi studio phono pre-amp and just straight into the phono etc.

As mentioned before, Chromecast audio is in another league over my Onkyo. I primarily use this for turntable use, with Chromecast being a sometimes thing, but boy it sounds way better in the 801

Clonesteak likes this.
  6. timind

timind phorum rezident

Is it better at lower volume levels?

7. BMill

no question. Way better. No longer an issue.

timind and Clonesteak like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.