Do I still need my CD player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

i am keeping my disks for sure ... but i am lucky to have some really great audio note digital products ... like the one i’m listening to now!

[​IMG]

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I love the ritual of grabbing an album, whether it be a big plastic one (LP) or a small shiny one (CD), taking out the disc and placing it in the music playing device. It’s not an inconvenience to me.

3. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

YES, of course you do!

They sound great, and you can jam the volume with a nice setup and CD player w low distortion, they sound great!

Yes, CD players are amazing, cheap, expensive, not a whole helluva lot of difference in sound between mnay of them.

Find a reliable one, and enjoy!

4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I listen to mostly my vinyl or rips of vinyl and CD nowadays,but ill occasionally still pop on a CD when the mood strikes. As long as I still have the actual physical media,I will probably keep around some means to play it. So I myself would still keep the CD Player or at the very least have something to play it on like a decent Blu-ray player if you want to simplify your set up.

5. Westerwick

Westerwick Forum Resident

Keep your CD player ! I got rid of mine a few years ago and I have lived to regret the descision. I am currently on the look out for a CD transport. Not only CD but I have been listening to lots of my old cassette tapes recently, I’m glad I held on to a tape player ! I just feel a bit disconnected from the whole music playing experience when I’m listening via a streamer or similar.

6. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Absolutely! :agree:

[​IMG] :righton:

ClassicalCD, Westerwick and F1nut like this.
  7. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

About 2 yrs ago i was playing everything thru a really cheap $70 blu ray player....

Now i have a 6 slot cd player

A sony ubp 800 universal player
    A oppo 203 universal player

And will eventually buy something else

I want to spin discs till i die.

8. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

no,only reason to own one is SACD discs ,streaming does so much more with close to same sound

9. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

I have only read the first and last pages of this thread, so forgive me if you have already dumped the player.

Keep it I say, and leave it ready to use. I have the same model Rotel RCD-1072. It is very good and a fine HDCD player. I have hundreds of HDCD discs - Grateful Dead, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell mainly - and they all sound great on this system. I find it hard to believe that you won't buy or borrow something new on CD and want to listen to it immediately. Also, browsing CDs on a shelf often reminds me of things I have forgotten about and I play them immediately. It is not the same browsing through files and folders on an interface; I have a NAS with lots of hi res music files and they are very easy to forget about. In fact it is only when I load them onto my Pono and take them walkies that I listen to them.

I did an A/B of my 3 different CD masters of Van Morrison's The Healing Game on my Rotel last night. They are all good but the latest (this year's Deluxe Edition) just sounded so great that it convinced me not to buy the vinyl edition.

Litejazz53, Westerwick and JeffMo like this.
  10. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Yeah i have a friend who now streams everything...tells me but youtube is "free"...um NO ...its NOT free u idiot your internet bill is costing you aprx $200 mth

Thats $2400 a year for music n tv... As soon as u stop paying the music stops playing...

Sometimes i just want to smack him in the head...but to each his own

I can buy a ****load of players n music w 2400 a year

Litejazz53 and Westerwick like this.
  11. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Having come of age musically in the mid-70’s with records, physical media has always been it for me. I still own all of it, from the “Dark Shadows” soundtrack album purchased for me by my mom in the late 1960’s to the 45 of ABBA’s “Waterloo” I remember buying with allowance money in 1974, and all that came after. It’s weird to watch the CD format die off (however slowly), having been witness to it’s birth at a time when I was post-college, spending and my disposable income to buy lots of records and later CDs, but time marches on.

I suppose for those of us for whom music listening has always been a tactile, not just auditory experience, physical media will always be it. But I understand and sometimes envy those who don’t feel the need of ownership. I have to deal with storage issues, they don’t!

If a listener has a satisfying connection with the music they love through a computer based system that’s great, but many of us never will and that’s OK too. I own a few terrific CD only players along with multi-disc units too, and even have a vintage Philips CD-50 in the closet. I’m confident I’ll be able to play my 4000+ discs for years to come. As for finding a quality transport-only, not as much.

In the meantime I slowly burn my collection at full resolution, but I know that it’s unlikely to ever become my first source for listening outside of when I’m working in an office.

Right now I’m awaiting the return of my upgraded Schiit Bitfrost DAC which will now be multibit along with a USB port. I purchased it as an Uber model here in the classifieds for $200 several years ago, so with the upgrades have now paid what a new one costs. I’m curious to see how much of my digital collection I’ll really start playing, and also if the multibit Bitfrost will offer better sound than my Rega Apollo’s internal DAC. I know for certain that the Schiit Modi Uber sounded virtually identical to the Rega’s DAC, so am particularly interested in the Bitfrost upgrade’s worth for that use.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  12. Clsmooth391

Clsmooth391 Member

It's inconvenient using a cd player. Streaming using the Ultrarendu (music renderer) for example, really improves the sound. You can sit back and use your tablet to choose your tracks.

action pact likes this.
  13. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

How do I listen to the discs that aren't on any streaming services if I don't have a CD player?

Audiowannabee likes this.
  14. Clsmooth391

Clsmooth391 Member

You can rip them to a PC or dedicated music server. I am using the Sonic Transporter. It's a really good dedicated music server.

15. uzn007

I'd rather just play them.

dbsea, Audiowannabee and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  16. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

Of course, because humans need to touch things. I don't want to lose that experience.

DigMyGroove and notesofachord like this.
  17. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

well you rip them on a computer ,then stream them ,or buy them from a online site

18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Buy a good DAC that you like that has USB and SPDIF inputs. Use the USB input for streaming from a computer. Buy an inexpensive CD or DVD player that has a SPDIF output and can be used as a transport. You get the best of both worlds. The ability to stream music using a DAC that you like and the ability to spin CDs using a DAC that you like.

I don't have a CD player listed in my profile. However I do have the ability to spin CDs and play them through my Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC that I like. I've got at least three CD or DVD or Bluray players that I can use as transports. All I have to do is move one of them into the audio rack and I've got a $1200+ CD player (the cost of the Gungnir Multibit DAC). Plus Schiit has been making noise about possibly making a transport. So that could be an option later.

I'd rather buy one $1200 DAC and use it as both my streaming playing and CD player. Rather than buying a $1200 DAC and a $1200 CD player to get the sound quality I'm after.

19. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I never did it deliberately but I'm grateful that I never amassed a large CD collection. The only music I "buy" is on vinyl and for the rest I "rent" (stream) it. Streaming helps me plot my next vinyl acquisition ;-) I have zero interest in buying a CD player. My Oppo is used for Blueray.

20. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

CAN'T LIVE without a CD player. That would be impossible.

And I LOVE records!!

21. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I haven’t read this whole thread. But of course keep your CD player. Regardless of whether you have all your stuff streaming, etc, what’s there to lose?

22. uzn007

Nah, I'm good.

23. uzn007

I have tons of stuff that isn't available for purchase or streaming online. If I have to use a CD-ROM drive, I might as well use a CD player. It's a lot more convenient for me these days.

I went through years of listening to almost no physical media. Ripped everything to my hard drive. Downloaded videos and had an early digital video player box that I put on my home network so I didn't have to burn anything to CD-R or DVD-R. It was fun, and it's convenient if you're willing to put a certain level of time, money and effort into it as a hobby, but these days, I'm just as happy to buy a CD and pop it in the CD player to hear it. No fuss, no muss.

Dave and Audiowannabee like this.
  24. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

If you're happy with the results of ripping and fully committed to it, then you don't really need to keep your CD player.

The question really should be do you want to keep your CD player? I'd have loved to keep mine, but didn't because it had a fairly high trade in value. A few weeks later, I mentioned that to my dealer and he said that I could buy it back. I decided it wasn't worth the money for something I desired but didn't really need. What clinched it was that I might be wasting the cash if the thing ever failed. Nevertheless, I still miss the smooth action of the CD drawer some twelve years later.

Randoms likes this.
  25. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Apart from the fact that your ex-CD player was obviously a very classy piece of kit, have you ever missed the sound quality, as opposed to the operation of your player, or are you totally satisfied with the sound from your network music player?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.