Do people find Jim Carrey funny?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Andrew J, Apr 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

2. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

To quote Les Dawson, "He's OK, if you like laughing"

timind and Macman like this.
  3. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

You might want to view Carrey's work as the ultimate in the art of exaggeration similar to Monty Python's Dead Parrot skit only Jim does it economically mostly without props using his entire body, face and spoken word. That's a lot of work and talent to pull off and make as many people laugh as he's done time after time.

He's a walking Mad Magazine human cartoon expressing anything off the top of his head that strikes him similar to what Robin Williams did. Carrey's just riffing in a different style.

It's the subjects he chooses to make fun of that also suggests his social sensibility and intelligence even though some of it is juvenile and sophomoric, again he cranks that up to push it beyond that as part of the art of exaggeration.

BeatleJWOL and Andrew J like this.
  4. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

Some of his impressions are very good, including his Clint Eastwood:

RSteven, timind and BeatleJWOL like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

He did some funny stuff on "In Living Color", but I'm really not a fan of him and his shtick. When I see his rubbery face in "The Dead Pool" and "Peggy Sue Got Married" I feel the urge to slap it.

He's got talent, he can do funny things with his face and body, I just happen to find him and his antics rather grating. It's me, not him.

Strangely, he's in one of my favorite movies, "The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", which, despite his presence, is a beautiful film. And he does a good job in it, keeping his Jim Carrey-isms in check.

I am an Andy Kaufman fan so I like "Man on the Moon", though I might like it even more if Jim wasn't the star. That recent documentary that showed him behind the scenes makes him look like a total jackass. I'm not sure even Andy would have approved.

I remember liking "Me Myself and Irene". I haven't seen Ace Ventura in ages but I remember having a good time at the theater with my friends at the time.

I rented a movie he did called "Number 23" or something with Virginia Madsen, and my God, that was a worthless piece of trash.

6. I liked him in:
    In Living Color
    The Mask
    Liar, Liar
    The Truman Show (drama, not comedy)
    and a guilty pleasure: Dumb and Dumber plus the sequel.

7. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

99% of the time I find his over-the-top style flat out obnoxious. The other 1% of the time he's merely OK.

8. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I like a few of his films, Dumb and Dumber is my fave. Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine, he’s very talented for sure.

But the thing that gets me, is I can’t escape the impression that he’s a Sad Clown. Like he’s very unhappy inside or something.

Just a feeling but it colors how I view his work.

NaturalD likes this.
  9. That was my reaction to your post in the first place. Yes, I've been to France, yes they like Jerry Lewis there. What was your point?

showtaper likes this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

carrey, along with adam sandler, ben stiller, and will ferrell have had their andy warhol 15 minutes, and hopefully will all slowly fade away and take their juvenile fart humor with them.

of the 4, i truly cannot choose which is the worst.

Mark E. Moon and Atmospheric like this.
  11. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Some of these comedic actors shine when placed in serious film roles. Carrey is one of them.

Macman and BeatleJWOL like this.
  12. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

This one-time bodybuilding aficionado thinks Carrey nailed it.

Rubberpigg and ralphb like this.
  13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

That's what I liked about his work on In Living Color, there was always a bit of threat in what he did.
    David Alan Grier also deserves kudos for his work on that show, but the whole thing worked because it was such a wonderful ensemble cast.

Macman likes this.
  14. Some of his movies like "Dumb and Dumber", yes!

Macman and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Regardless of anyone's personal opinion here .. to answer your question one would just have to look at the number of box office hits he's had. I'm sure his bank account is sitting pretty at several million.

16. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

I used to. These days, not so much. Either he’s changed, or I have. It’s probably a bit of both.

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Aww, no, I like Rachel because whatever she contorts herself into, she can still be Rachel Dratch. I'd rather think of her as the 21st-Century Phyllis Diller.

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm sure he, as well as Robin Williams, suffered some box office glitches from time to time not because the work wasn't good, but because the public wasn't invested in seeing that person in that light.

Cast Charlie Chaplin in The Godfather, umm, that's a hard "no".

19. Django

Django Forum Resident

Not a big fan.....but I do love dumb & dumber.

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

No.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think of him as a very talented individual whose schtick went off several years ago. And I can understand why some people never liked him.

22. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Never cared for him.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

please don't put Ace Ventura on the same level as Happy Gilmore, Zoolander, and Ricky Bobby, please and thank you :laugh:

Robin Williams syndrome, I think. There's a prevailing people that comedy (or just being funny) is often a shield people put up early in life for various reasons. Carrey doesn't seem to be riding the edge as hard as Williams or other comedians we've lost, but he also seems to have slowed down in recent years and done some stuff just for him, too.

24. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i'm sorry, in my eyes and mind but they are all the same character.

must be because i am old. :shrug:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.