Do Rega 'tables run fast?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eyeCalypso, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

In the past I owned a Rega Planar 3 and an RP6. Both ran faster than 33 1/3 rpm.

Kundalini likes this.
  2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

It makes intuitive sense to me. It is difficult to get the speed exactly right using normal manufacturing tolerances, and most people are going to prefer slightly fast to slightly slow. So they design them to run a little fast.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Not at all...My RP6 with groove tracer upgrades is right on 33 rpm

tim185 and Gavinyl like this.
  4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The Rega plays faster than Yngwie Malmsteen.

5. The FRiNgE

This is true, many owners would complain of a slower running turntable! The primary function of a turntable is to spin at the right speed, major fail if it doesn't.

izgoblin likes this.
  6. Kundalini likes this.
  7. The Groovetracer was big improvement for my RP6 but the speed is still 33.7. I cannot here it but one of my musician friends can.

Kundalini and tmtomh like this.
  8. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident Thread Starter

9. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Yes they do. They are rather well known for that tendency.

Kundalini and McLover like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I get a feeling that Turntabulator app is pretty accurate. In fact, I know it is because I can make minute adjustments and the app will register them.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You're 1/3 slow then.

:hide:

12. russk

russk Forum Resident

My stock RP6 runs at 33.4. The only thing I can tell audibly about the 0.07 extra revolution per minute is that it made it sound better than the VPI Scout and Clearaudio Concept tables. :D

13. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

Definitely a more energetic and brisk sound, I would imagine. :D And there's another positive aspect of turntables running too fast - in the long run, you get to listen to more music because you finish every disc earlier.

I moved from a belt drive to DD mostly because of speed issues. It wasn't that much off but I noticed my guitar sounded out of tune whenever I was playing along when listening to an LP. No such problem with CD's so I didn't need a strobe disc to figure out why.

McLover, tmtomh and russk like this.
  14. The FRiNgE

Have you noticed, or anyone, that CD players sometimes run faster tempo? The pitch remains constant but the tempo can increase, ie: laptops and cheaper CD players, and I hate that too. I'm just a mad musician who hears stuff!

Thinking about testing this and may start a discussion. I would be fascinated if it's just my imagination?.

15. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

Can't say I have. I assume you're talking about tiny shifts in tempo? I got a pretty average sense of timekeeping, I can hear fairly subtle rushing or dragging but I'd guess minuscule tempo shifts go happily unnoticed.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  16. The FRiNgE

ok.. I'll test my laptop CD drive. It seems to run fast (tempo) when it's warm! Maybe my brain gets tired and runs slow? haha!

Micke Lindahl and stetsonic like this.
  17. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

My RP8 was in the 33.7 range. I switched to a new belt for other reasons and it brought it down to 33.4.

Either way, I couldn't tell it was fast.

18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

And that's the typical speculation, that faster speeds sell tables.

russk and The FRiNgE like this.
  19. The FRiNgE

sadly

20. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

My P5 is spot on, but I did add a Groovetracer subplatter.

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

New rubber belt perhaps help?

22. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Wouldn't wall voltage affect the speed? Is the Rega motor designed for something like 115 - 120 VAC (in the USA), however some wall voltages run higher, resulting in the turntable running faster?

23. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Rega turntables have a 24 Volt DC motor and my RP3 runs at a stable 33 1/3.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Benjamin Reed

Benjamin Reed Well-Known Member

Just try using a different belt..

25. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

It's been close to 15 years since I ran my Planar 3 with the stock motor.

I currently use an Origin Live DC Motor Kit (Mk12 PCB) with a Premotec 9904-120-18105 3W Motor and a Maplin 9V 3.2A AC-AC PSU. I've had many, many issues with this kit over the years, but over the last 2-3 years it's been mostly stable but that's been down to myself and a few other members of other forums solving some of the problems that this kit has thrown up. OL themselves have been of little help.

The OL control box has adjustable pots on the rear, so I can fine tune the speed. A deck running fast is like nails down a chalkboard to my ears. I, also, must have OCD or something.

The other mods on my deck are an Audio Origami strip, polished & rewired RB250 (with Michell Technoweight), PEEK Bearing, GrooveTracer Ref Sub-Platter & White Delrin Platter, and a Michael Lim Motor Isolation Base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.