Do Rega 'tables run fast?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eyeCalypso, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

33.6 for my RP40

Kundalini likes this.
  2. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

For what it's worth, if you have a Rega deck that has the motor attached to the plinth via the sticky pads, it may have drifted forwards slightly due to the belt tension. If possible, try re-seating the motor a bit further back, i.e. move it north away from the main bearing. This should slow it down a touch. Of course it may drift back, but my recommendation is an off-plinth motor support like the Michael Lim Isolation Base. This can be moved around under the plinth until you're happy with the speed, and it has the added advantage of completely eliminating any motor vibrations.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Wall voltage would affect the speed of a DC motor if the power supply were unregulated, but it isn't. AC motors ' speed is set by frequency, not voltage.

SandAndGlass and tmtomh like this.
  4. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Not to people with perfect pitch....but that's a tiny section of the buying public.

There was an experiment done years go with a turntable and a variable frequency drive with an unmarked dial in which people were asked to set the speed of the turntable where they thought it ought to be.
    Almost everyone ran it be higher than it was really supposed to be.

My guess is that there is a spread of manufacturing tolerances and they put the "bogey" value a little over the correct speed because slower (flat) gets complaints faster then higher (sharp).

Commercial products are usually built for merchantability over correctness if there is a conflict between those two.

As I have said before.....there IS a fix and it isn't that hard. There needs to be a tonewheel on the platter, a sensor and a small counter board to indicate true RPM. But no one is interested.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

33.3 on my RP10. 33.3 on my friends RP6 and 33.3 on another friends RP3. From what I have seen newer models have no issues. Jeff Dorgay even said every Rega he's tested has been spot on too. I wouldn't put too much faith into cell phone measurements. It's not like they were designed for that purpose or calibrated in any way to perform that with 100% certainty.

tmtomh and russk like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

There's a platter speed app.

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The only way to measure speed accurately is with a strobe disc.
    100% analogue and 100% reliable.
    The best strobe that I know is the KAB strobe disc BTW.

McLover, The FRiNgE and Upinsmoke like this.
  8. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Turntalulator. Can't say how accurate it is, but I have a strobe disc and now use Turntabulator.

9. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Which is why the great majority of Pop/Rock radio stations "back in the day" used to run their turntables 3% to 5% fast. All the NYC stations did it. WABC and WMCA (in their Top-40 music days) WNEW-FM, WPLJ-FM... it was a very common trick to make the music sound more forceful and shave time for more music or commercials. It was done at my college radio station too. In fact, it was such a set policy you got reprimanded if you played records exactly at speed.

OldSoul, SandAndGlass, tmtomh and 3 others like this.
  10. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

As a music lover as a kid, I remember the sped up songs of WABC, WMCA, etc. and did not mind at all. As a musician from my early teens, I grew to hate it. Fast pitch drives me insane, removes the soul and musicality of a song.

Kundalini and VinylSoul like this.
  11. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Sorry this is OT but what did you prefer about the RP6 over the other tables? PM if you prefer.

12. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

The Rega tolerances are as below.

P3/RP6 33.266 - 33.5
    RP8 33.266 - 33.42
    RP10 33.30 - 33.366

SandAndGlass and tmtomh like this.
  13. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

They run fast for the first couple of years, then starts to run slow, and at the end they just stops running at all.

14. Cute !

15. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

I just tried Turntabulator out on my RP6 and got 33.58, which is says is "ideal."

tmtomh and Mazzy like this.
  16. edmondbob

edmondbob Forum Resident

Changing the subject a bit from turntables making all discs run fast but for all the speed accuracy worriers out there think about whether the cutting machine that made the master lacquer is running spot on. Of course lack of QC in any studio and/or pressing plant is unheard of so no need to freet.

tmtomh likes this.
  17. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

somehow my 10 year old P1 with a glass platter and a white belt is right on with the strobe disc a friend brought over and the phone app. another feller i know has a P3 and my deaf ears can hear that thing running fast.

tmtomh likes this.
  18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Good Bob Dylan lyric :)

Aftermath and delmonaco like this.
  19. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Yes, just a bit. Depending on your cartridge's stylus profile you may get a bit of help in slowing it down due to stylus drag. I wouldn't worry about it. You can't hear it. Much better to be slightly fast than slow, IMHO.

20. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Just for a sense of perspective, Fremer says the Rega he reviewed ran 0.2% fast. 33-1/3 plus two-tenths of 1% of 33-1/3 is 33.4. That's a very small variation, smaller than most of the report here, which seem to range in the 33.6-33.7 range.

21. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Yes, I read the report and know Michael. He's known to be very forthright and somewhat picky. Yet, he loves everything Rega turntables.

tmtomh likes this.
  22. Gaspode

Gaspode Well-Known Member

So I've a new (as in brought last week)with a few day 1 upgrades namely the Edwards Audio Little Belter (Blue Belt), TT-AH sub platter and there basic acrylic platter and i'm reading on Turntabulator 33.26 RPM which seems more than acceptable to me but the opposite of everyones faster running (I suspect thats the little belter) ..
    so is the same 0.2% as Fremer but the otherway. to be honest I dont see this as an issue ... you can get too hung up on this stuff lol

andybeau and AmericanHIFI like this.
  23. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

My old P3-24 ran fast, that's with Groovetracer upgrades as well. By how much I do not know. It was very stable speedwise though so you'd never ever notice it unless comparing playback to digital versions and the vinyl versions ended up being a few seconds shorter. Certainly didn't ever detract from the music enjoyment.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  24. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

SandAndGlass gave me a like on this post and when I gave it a look I realized from someone elses correct post in another thread ( I don't remember which one) that the Rega motor is actually 24V AC motor. I verified this with my TTPSU instruction manual where it states (...fed from a stabilized DC power supply, generates a 24V AC balanced signal...). If I have this straight, sorry for any misrepresentation.

25. brillwill

brillwill Well-Known Member

my RP40 ran at a constant 33.5

traded it for a VPI, and ultimately Technics SL1200GAE. Now the speed is perfect

The FRiNgE and Aftermath like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.