Do Rega 'tables run fast?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eyeCalypso, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

The stylus drag is usually very tiny. The masurement I made long time ago is however within the errors of the method:

Some simple measurements on my Linn Axis:

130 revolutions no stylus: 03:52:693 = 33,52056 RPM

TT (linn axis) is running 0.5% too fast static speed, need to adjust.

130 revolutions with stylus starting at outer grove: 03:52:773 = 33,50904 RPM

Diff 0.034%

2. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

UHF Magazine said this was a myth and they explained why people were measuring Rega's running faster. I wish I still had the issue. I think it had something to do with the speed wheels and how they are made. I am not a tech person but why would a major audiophile turntable company be that stupid. And yet Pioneer tables from the 80's run fine. For some reason (I don't know why) those speed wheels don't work properly on a Rega.

I really want to hear from people that are familiar with the Rega story. And can elaborate on what I am saying. If you read the UHF article I read it would make perfect sense.

3. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Turntable app. What happened to the little speed wheel? UHF magazine explained how this speed issue was false. Something to do with how the Rega motor is run and an error in speed checkers. They are in fact wrong. And the reverse is true. But again I don't know. You guys could be right.

4. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

There's (was?) a video on Michael Fremers site - he visits the Rega factory.

At one point you see a chart on the wall and it clearly shows the acceptable speed tolerances for different models.

Thing is - they weren't symmetrical about the correct speed - there was more leeway on the high side.

My interpretation is that that would mean on average more tables would ship playing fast than slow.

trd likes this.
  5. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Let's just say they don't run slow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.