Do studios still shoot movie stills on set?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Jul 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ev
    is there a “raw” equivalent in video production?im a stills guy and know very little about video production outside of dslr video editing in FCP

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, Arri's Alexa has Arriraw, Red has Red Raw (aka R3D), Sony has X-OCN Raw, Blackmagic has BMDRaw, and Canon has Raw Light, most at 12-bit or even 16-bit. All of them have good and bad points. I think for editing, you're better off editing in low-res proxies (transcodes), and then at the very end of the project, you can relink to the original high-res raw files for final color and delivery. So in other words, render with lower-res HD files on your laptop, then go back to the 4K/5K/6K files for final color-correction and rendering for theaters and broadcast.

DaleClark and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

There’s gotta be some job for the producer’s girlfriend.

4. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Friends of a producer who get hired for stills (on low budget shows) are typically quick to be replaced. Not only is their work usually terrible and unusable, but inexperienced photographers who don't know how to work with and around a crew become a nuisance. There's a meaningful difference between a set photographer and a photographer, certain skills don't cross over or translate.

Tom Cruise had this to say:

"The importance of still photography in films cannot be overstated. Many times, it is the first image that the audence sees: it must capture the audience's attention and it must also represent the tone and character of the story we're telling. Sounds simple, right? It's not."

SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
  5. Gramps

Gramps Forum Resident

They sure do in my neighborhood, and I'd wish they'd go back to Hollywood. I've never worked with more obnoxious people in my life. If you're not a star, or are in the crew, or if the director gives you first AD, you're basically f@@ed. Try having a sandwich and coffee, at the Kraft table, if you're a "Stand In", and even worse, an "Extra". When is someone going to bring this abuse to the table?!

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Bwahahah. I hear you. Bunch of spoiled brats.

Show business kids making movies of themselves...

7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Tom Cruise is also known for making sure that kraft services are fully available to everyone in the cast, including extra's.

budwhite likes this.
  8. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

My former Brother in law was a regular extra on Fresh Prince. He stated Will Smith made sure everyone was treated equal. Apparently, Will made it a point to know everyone on a first name basis and got to know you.

budwhite and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.