Do the "original" master tapes exist for 'Tommy'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Todd Fredericks, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

I've read different stories about missing/found/etc. Are the master tapes still around? Also, what's the chance of DCC or S&P getting the rights to this album or any other Who stuff (not the re-mixes)?

Todd

2. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

FWIW, I've heard/read that the multis still exist, but it was the two-track mixes that were burned after the original LP was mastered. I'm certain Steve would know for sure on this one.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, the masters were destroyed, and the only thing we've seen as close to the mixdown 2 track is Pete Townshend's master on the MFSL, which is not "THE" master.

However, I really think th destruction of the Tommy masters were accidental, not in effigy.

4. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

I once read a story (maybe on an earlier incarnation of this forum) that someone said the Tommy tapes were on exhibit in one Hard Rock Café! There they were in their cardboard box, labelled "Master"...
    Kinda strange...

5. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I think that the remix of Tommy was well done (soft digital clicks excepted) and sounds heaps better than any other version I have heard (on vinyl - UK Track, US Decca, US MCA; on CD - US MCA double, MCA single, MoFi single)
    There were oddities in the pre-remix versions - bass drum distortion in (I think) Overture, unrelenting tinny sound. The new remix sound much more like a live band and not via the telephone.
    Quadrophenia has been similarly improved - Keith's drum kit has been toned down from the pre-remix unrelenting shriek to a far more integrated sound (pre-remix sampled on vinyl UK Track and on CD, MCA double and MoFi. Apparently the Japanese Quad is even better.
    I agree that remixing opens up a huge number of variables, but that shouldn't be a reason to saddle us with an old inferior mix.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, we really don't know if the masters were destroyed or not. Sure, Richard Barnes has said things to that effect, but then again, Barnes has been wrong about many things. There was a similar story about all of the tapes from the 1969 US tour being burned. You know what? They all still exist...

As far as the remix goes, while the sonics are a tad better in places, they really screwed with certain elements of the mix. Effects here and there are missing, for example. As far as Underture goes (bass drum distortion), the reason the remix doesn't have "problems" is because they mixed that part down/out. Of course there won't be distortion!

7. John Buchanan

Luke,
    what time does the bass drum distortion happen in Underture? I don't have the MoFi or pre-remix Tommy to listen to any more and would like to hear where Keith's bass drum was altered.
    NOT HAPPY, JAN!!! :mad:

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd have to sit down with both versions and take a listen, but I don't have either handy, nor do I have the time. I do know that one of the drum tracks, which was mainly/all bass drum was mixed down/out on the remix. It was pretty loud on the original mix, and can barely be heard at all on the remix.

9. John Buchanan

Luke,
    what happened to the enthusiast of old?
    Seriously, I hope things are not too stressful out your way. This doesn't sound like the guru I used to look to for interesting but not too pushy opinions. Keep your chin up and enjoy the hobby.
    ( I don't mean to sound too patronising, but I was surprised by the above comment) :(
    PS email me privately if you think I'm being too much of a Richard Cranium

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, let's just say that lately my personal life has kind of kept me away from such matters. Between school (last semester) and the "other half", I just haven't had the time.

Sorry!

11. John Buchanan

'nuff said.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ok, so I had a little time, so I pulled out both the MCA remix of Tommy and the 1993 Erick Labson MCA remaster. I did a bit of listening to Underture. Here's what I found:

- I actually find the sound to be a bit fuller and natural on the 1993 CD. The remix sounds kind of squashed. Not to mention the remix has various digital clicks.

Wow. Just A/B the opening notes. The original mix just "flows". The remix...no.

- Listen around 2:05 - 2:08, right channel. On the original mix the bass drum POUNDS. You can barely hear it on the remix.

Ok, so I'm listening to some other tracks besides Underture now. Overture is more of the same - the original mix sounds very open and natural, while the remix sounds cramped and lifeless. It does vary from cut to cut, especially if the stereo image has been changed, but... Yeah, the drums are less tinny in places on the remix, but...

Hmm...although I do kind of like the Christmas remix.

13. John Buchanan

I'll have a listen tonight. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.