Do The Pop! 2002 Australian Garage Rock Compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, May 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to the 2002 Do The Pop! Australian Garage Rock Compilation on Shock Records.One of the best Garage Rock Compilations Covering the late 70s-early 80s of largely unknown (outside of Australia) Australian bands.Anyone else have it-and love it? Would love to see it get both a CD reissue and a VINYL reissue for this (it’s 20th Anniversary Year)!

AFCAD, Jimmy B., DME1061 and 3 others like this.
  2. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I love compilations, especially the ones that focus on Garage or Psych. I have a few Aussie comps that I dig, mainly Down Under Nuggets. Do the Top looks terrific. I would love a reissue because the originals are a bit pricey.

3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I have the CD set, having no idea if it's valuable or rare or whatever. I think I searched it out mainly because one of the Lipstick Killers was a member/mod on a garage forum. Very educational!

DME1061 likes this.
  4. schizzzo

schizzzo Forum Resident

Great Tracklist! Didn't know this comp but most of the tracks. Saw the Rifles a couple of times here in Germany, great life band.
    A Vol. 2 "'87 to whatever" would be nice so they can include God's "My Pal".

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I remember seeing this comp. advertised but don't own it. Australia had a lot of great bands from that era.

DME1061 likes this.
  6. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

a Vol 2 called Redux exists , really digging deeper and there was supposed to be another vol 2 of this
    Various - Do The Pop! Redux Part One

" My Pal " is featured on this comp , amazing as well , with very little duplicate with Do The Pop
    Various - Tales From The Australian Underground (Singles 1976-1989)

7. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

Must be one of my all time favourite compilations. There's also the 2007 "Redux", a companion piece that delves deeper. Highly recommended!

AFCAD, beccabear67 and dlemaudit like this.
  8. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

20 years already ! time flies

9. I have both versions, the original and the Redux one

10. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

One of the greatest compilations of all time. Picked this up a few years ago on Amazon from a 3rd party vendor when it still available for a decent price (new copy around $15). It has one of my favorite songs of all time on it...The Eastern Dark's "Walking".

I'm assuming this is the one the OP mentioned?

[​IMG]

Dingo, AFCAD, dlemaudit and 2 others like this.
  11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The only artists on there I'd heard before were The Saints and Hoodoo Gurus (at the time) and The Stems (later). The Saints records were fairly influential on the Vancouver scene in the late '70s.

12. AFCAD

AFCAD Forum Resident

One of the great compilations of the time. Saw some of the bands back in the day including Eastern Dark in Melbourne just before James Darroch tragically left us, they were great live.

I know where the original Warwick Gilbert painting used for the CD is, nice piece - it's about LP cover size. :)
    [​IMG]

stetsonic, dlemaudit, Dingo and 2 others like this.
  13. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

The Eastern Dark ‘ WALKING’ - the single best riff to come out of Oz. Ever!
    Play it loud- crack a few walls.

DME1061 and dlemaudit like this.
  14. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

A great version of "Walking" was done by The Masterplan (Keith Streng from The Fleshtones & Andy Shernoff of The Dictators).

Dingo, stetsonic and dlemaudit like this.
  15. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Have it. LOVE it. Have the Redux too. And Antipodean Screams. And a few others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.