Do they make dramas with likable characters anymore?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Just thinking about how many of the musical artists over the decades fit this description to a T.
    Myself , I felt pity and remorse for the Walter White character
    And even empathy with how his darkness overwhelmed him because I have certainly felt the temptations and given into them to one degree or another over the course of my life.

2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I find Ralph likable, actually. Although given that it's based on a book about how screwed up stand-up comics were in the 70s, likable isn't really the goal on that one.

3. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are they any less screwed up in the decades since then?

4. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Oh I may be calling him exactly what he is, and I also may be criticizing what he does, but I also know that people just "snap" sometimes.

You can see his trajectory and feel for him absolutely. I don't think most would have made it that far because it takes a certain kind of bastard to be what he is.

Great post!

5. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Honestly, in my experience, they are! I have a few friends who are stand-ups, and as far as I know, none of them are self-hating addicts. There definitely used to be a sense that you had to be one or ideally both to be any good, but luckily that's largely passed.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The odd couple indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.