Do tube preamps have a "tube" sound like like tube POWER amps do?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Taurus, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member Thread Starter

Don't everybody freakout-I'm not trolling with this question! Read on.........

Tube equipment generates even-order harmonic distortion, which supposedly sounds pleasant compared to solid-state gear's odd-order distortion (UNpleasant sounding supposedly).

I figure if you have to have distortion it might as well be nice sounding :) as long as it's inaudible (does that make any sense?). I noticed many tube power amps introduce-compared to solid-state amps-rather high amounts of distortion, sometimes up to 5% THD (3%THD is where the average ear begins to detect THD). Some people believe this is what generates that velvety/airy sound. IMO I'm not sure if I want this in my music, good sounding or not, so my question is:

Are there any tubed preamps that have inaudible amounts of distortion, i.e. are transparant sounding?

Also, a for-fun question: Could you combine a solid-state amp and a tubed preamp with equal but opposite amounts of THD where the final output would have NO distortion at all. In other words: +1 and -1 = 0?

Sorry, one last techie question! MOSFETs are supposed to behave like tubes (I think they are voltage-sensitive devices like tubes, instead of current-sensitive like "normal" transistors). My receiver uses these and was wondering if they also generate even-order THD like vacuum tubes do. MOSFETs seem to be popping up everywhere the last five years or so, so I was wondering if they were a "best of both worlds" device?

Thanks a lot.

[T]

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes.

Yes.

No.

But you're worrying about a non-issue: Distortion.

:)

3. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks!

[T]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.