Do you always toe in your main speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Smurr1958, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Toeing in also deepens the soundstage, placing vocalists further back in the mix IMO. If you go straight ahead, you might want your speakers a little closer together while keeping a solid, floating center image. Female vocals are always my test. For off axis listening, I prefer no toe in.

ibis and trd like this.
  2. insoc123

insoc123 Well-Known Member

I never toe in my speakers. Maybe because they are bookshelfs/monitors or because they image so well I've never find the need to do it.

3. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Exactly what I find with my Dyns too. About an inch or so of toe in is about right. No toe in creates a bit of a hole in the middle, more toe in narrows the soundstage too much.

progrocker, Silverwolf and Tone? like this.
  4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Most of the time but depends on how you have things set up, if the speakers are close to each other it probably doesn't work well.

jupiterboy likes this.
  5. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

I rake my speakers back a little, this always works well in my space.

Tim 2 likes this.
  6. Smurr1958

Smurr1958 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Again grateful to read all the opinions and variations on preferences and placements.

The Pinhead likes this.
  7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I pretty much always adjust the speakers to the space. That includes toe-in, distance from back and side walls, etc. As all my speakers are acoustic suspension design, I believe it's not as critical for back and side walls as ported speakers but I do it anyway. The one thing I often fiddle around with on the main system is tiny tweaks of my Celestion DL-8 II speakers. A lot of that depends on the source music.

trd likes this.
  8. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

While you are at it; try adjusting the "rake". This is the tilt up or down. All I will say is it makes a difference. Find what sounds best to you and the other primary listeners in the house.

Audiofan1 and George P like this.
  9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Right. a lot of people use spikes/cones and discs on hardwood floors, which raises the tweeter level higher than optimal. Tweeters should be at ear level.

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

Depends on the speaker, but I almost never use full toe-in and often very little. I find with most speakers toe-in reduces soundstage size, image size, and often gets a bit too bright or timbrally whitened. Toeing out tends to sound timbrally more rich and lush, with a larger feel for the imaging/soundstaging.

11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

It all depends on the room.

Gibsonian, bever70 and The Pinhead like this.
  12. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I've got my Klipsch KLF-20s toed in but I've often wondered if I should point them straight ahead. I'm curious if pointing them straight ahead would lessen the shoutiness and brightness of the horns?

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have Focal Chorus 826V Floorstanders. For years - no toe. About a year or so ago, I experimented with towing them in ever so slightly, towards my listening position. I decided I liked them better that way and that's the way they have been since. Better? Who knows. Different? Absolutely.

GKH likes this.
  14. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

And how much it depends on the room depends on the speaker :)

15. kaikki on aivan jees

kaikki on aivan jees Forum Resident

No toe in here; but my LS-50s are on bookshelves and I listen nearfield.

16. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Approx a 1/2" toe in.......Seems stupid but it enhances the soundstage of my room. Don't ask me why.......

17. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Mine are toe in with the horns right at ear level.

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Mine are toed-in 25 degrees.

19. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Totally depends on the speaker. No toe-in at all with Forte III's while my O/96's are toed in so that the drivers are pointing directly at the sweet spot - probably 25 degrees.

20. No toe in for me. I too have Polk speakers and I much prefer them firing straight down the room.
    In fact I have never liked any speaker I have owned toed in. Sounds too 'in your face' for my tastes.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  21. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

Graham LS5/9s toed so I just can’t see the inner side panel of the speakers. If I lean forward a bit, I can see a little of the inside panels. Graham LS3/5s set up the same way. Less toe in with these BBC style speakers things seem to fall apart a bit.

bever70 likes this.
  22. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

Room and speaker dependent. Toe in would kill the expansive soundstage of my sda's. But I'd consider my khorns toed in when they're properly jammed into the room corners

23. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Lots of good info here. Especially the links provided by DavidR.

From my recent newer experience since I got my speakers in early 2020 I have pretty much found the spot they sound the best in my current room.
    I know the slight deviations which will make differences sited in those links.

again trust your ears. And HAVE FUN WITH IT. Set aside a weekend of fun experimenting with different positions and what you are hearing.
    Those links will verify what you are hearing. I like a tad bit more of a focused sound so my speakers are about 2 feet from the front wall. Remember that’s always measuring from the front of the speaker. Not back.
    The more I move them into the room I gain a deeper soundstage and the speakers disappear more. Which is pretty cool for sure but then I lose the more focused punch which I like. That’s from an ‘ anomaly’ of my room. So there is always a trade off.
    As for toe in it’s pretty much the same. The more I toe in the more of a focused center soundstage I have. But in this instance I don’t like mine toed in too much.
    I bought a laser pointer to help me with that and what I do from time to time is place the laser on top of the speakers and point it to my listening position. Then I go and mark on the wall where the laser points. Then I do it with the other speaker and make incremental changes. I use a couple tracks for center imaging until I hear a pretty good center image and then listen to a few songs. Do I like what I hear or do I want a slightly wider soundstage? Cause that is cool as well. And I just mess with that for a couple hours or however I’m in the mood for and settle on what I like.
    For me the markers on the wall usually are about a foot away from both my ears on both sides so I’m sitting right before the end of that triangle which is made from the toe in. That works for me. I don’t like too focused of a sound cause I don’t always want to sit just in one flipping position on the sofa and be locked there like a slave to the sound. Just not practical. I want other place on the long sofa to sound half decent as well.

hope all that made sense.

but again. Have FUN WITH IT. keep that in mind. This is supposed to be fun.
    Make exaggerations as well to see the effect it has. Good learning method.
    And trust your ears. Unless you are in a perfect room there will always be compromises. Screw it. Have fun with your stereo and mess around. Don’t think everything has to be perfect cause it won’t. Always give and take.

Cheers and ask more questions. I always do.

Mad shadows and Silverwolf like this.
  24. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Yes it will help. For horn loaded speakers some use extreme toe in so that the point it intersects is in front of you. They say it’s nice.

My listening area (living room) is a mere 13’w x 10’d and opens another 14’ behind to dining area. Too narrow for toe in when using floor standers. At best 5 degrees. With bookshelf , maybe a mere 5-10 degrees max.

I like a wide sound stage.

doctor fuse, slovell and Tone? like this.
  25. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

Where’s @Michael? I’m curious about his speakers as he loves his wide stereo!