Do you buy the CD if you own the DVD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Feb 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevef

stevef Senior Member

One other example comes to mind... I bought the original U2 Rattle & Hum CD only to learn later on that the Rattle & Hum DVD contained many more live tracks (13 I think...) than the regular CD. So I eventually decided to get the DVD too. Now... I guess I need to learn *how* to rip it to my audio collection. Where do I go to learn how to do this...any suggestions?

2. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Use the forum search function, but:
    DVD Audio Extractor -- Full featured DVD audio ripper for your easy use is your friend here and very easy to use. There are other ways; MakeMKV, Audiomuxer, but DVDAE is easy to use.

NumberEight, walrus and stevef like this.
  3. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Sure.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I went with No though I think that I have very occasionally double dipped. I think I own Big Big Train on Blu-Ray and CD but that's almost accidental. I actually don't usually listen to the CDs of a concert even if they come in the package with the Blu-Ray ... though if I really wanted to I'd probably stream the live album on Amazon anyway.

5. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Yes I do.

6. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Quite often the content of the CD and the DVD differs.

For example I have the DVD and CD “Jethro Tull at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970”. Whereas the dvd is missing a number of songs (“With You There to Help Me”, “Bouree”) the CD is missing a ton of the stage banter. Also there are edited tracks (“the drum solo of “Dharma for One”).

It’s better for me to have both formats so I can have what the other format is missing.

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

someone posted the link to DVD audio extractor.

Made my own R&H deluxe edition with the album, the live tracks from the movie, the remixes on the singles and the b-sides, plus "Jesus Christ" from that tribute album. I can't imagine Universal doing anything much different or better than what I did on my own.

stevef likes this.
  8. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I use software called DVD Audio Extractor (dvdae.com). I did pay for the full version years ago and it's definitely worth it.

NumberEight, stevef and Sevoflurane like this.
  9. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

"if the audio content on both is exactly the same" - is it really?

10. stevef

stevef Senior Member

What a fantastic U2 project! I would love to hear it...
    Would you care to post the track list for what you came up with?

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I put "it depends"...

Since the inception of the home concert video, I much prefer to watch the concert while listening.
    Some concerts are entertaining from a stage show perspective.
    Some concerts are entertaining to me, to see the way the musicians interact.
    Obviously I would like the music, otherwise I wouldn't have bought one, or the other, or both.
    But watching artists do their thing takes it to the next level for me, so concert albums have become less satisfying, for the most part.

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

No, only way I have both the CD and the DVD is if I bought the CD first. I can rip DVD audio to FLAC so I don't need to get the CD, also I don't expect the CD mastering to be as good or better than the DVD.

13. Most concert dvds/Blurays I have bought I have only watched once or twice.Live albums I play a lot.That being said I will always buy the combined CD/Bluray or DVD option if it is available.
    Buying one after I already have the other rarely happens.Only examples I can think of are Stevie Nicks The 24 Karat Gold Tour,Pearl Jam Live At The Garden,Rolling Stones Shine A Light,Roxy Music Live At The Apollo,Bruce Springsteen Live In New York City,U2 Elevation Live From Boston ,Talking Heads Stop Making Sense,The Who Quadrophenia Live In London/Tommy Live At The Royal Albert Hall and Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps(and soon Rust Bucket and Young Shakespeare).

14. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Just was confronted with this issue. Dire Straits - On the Night has more tracks on the DVD than the CD. SQ is about comparable. No real reason to keep the CD.

15. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Assuming your DVD player is connected to a receiver you don't have to have the TV on when you are playing it.

16. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

My DVD player is built into my TV.

17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Certainly.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Oh

HorseyAnn likes this.
  19. walrus

Is it just the extra tracks from the Encores thing? I've never actually seen the video version.

20. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Yes, the DVD won’t play in the car or the boom box in the garage.

Lost In The Flood and HorseyAnn like this.
  21. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I answered "Yes." There are times when I buy only the CD, and not the DVD, but that wasn't an option. Typically I'm more interested in listening than in watching; but sometimes the concert only comes out on DVD, in which case I'll rip the audio to CD. (Then sometimes the audio comes out on CD at a later date, in which case I'll buy it.)

22. walrus

[​IMG]

I did this for every album, really. Ditching the CD format made it a lot easier. My Pop playlist which I think I posted in another thread awhile back ended up being about 4 1/2 hours...even if Universal did something, they'd inevitably compromise and leave out some important things or mixes, so I just did it for them.

kevin5brown, Dillydipper and stevef like this.
  23. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Yep. The recent Eagles at the LA Forum release (with Vince Gill) is so good that I also bought the vinyl.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, I think we're at the point where a lot of us are starting to re-think what an album was/is, now that we have more access and wherewithal to create our own "deluxe editions" of all of our favorites. Lately I've been re-tagging b-sides and bonus tracks from EP's as being a part of the album from which the single or EP was supporting, so they play together. Haven't thought about rearranging the track orders to reflect this recreating history, though.

stevef likes this.
  25. may1620

may1620 Forum Resident

I have learned how to rip DVDs to lossless WAV or FLAC audio files, which is great. I do this mainly when the DVD is not available as CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.