Do you buy the CD if you own the DVD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Feb 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Always.

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, I started doing that years ago when I transitioned from CD's to all-digital for my non-vinyl listening. I'm a huge Depeche Mode fan (amongst other bands like U2 who have literally dozens of random singles and EP's), and keeping those as separate entries in a digital library quickly got unwieldly.

For awhile I just lumped all that stuff into a "non-album tracks" album entry, but that also felt unsatisfactory...having "A Celebration" and "Are You Gonna Wait Forever" (to use a U2 example) in the same album entry, and that album entry being literally dozens and dozens (if not 100+) tracks was also not optimal. So basically just spent some time organizing this stuff so everything associated with a certain album time period is all grouped together. The labels aren't smart enough to do this, so might as well do it myself.

Dillydipper likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I just like having the extant tracks shuffle-able in context with the original album tracks. Give you a fuller idea of what the artist was working on at the time.

And/but/also, in the case of live bonus tracks, you can instead try shuffling them with other live albums...

4. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Rarely, but occasionally.

Unless there is a difference in the program, I really don't see the point anymore.

5. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Why go out for milk, when you have the cash-cow at home?

CDV likes this.
  6. Beater

Beater Bye

I have a ton of dvd's and cd's. I don't have any dvd's of cd's that I have.. Why?.. I'd rather listen to\watch live music any day over studio stuff

7. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Yes!I recently found a live d.v.d of autographed by PAUL CARRICK... a few day's later i found it's c.d. counterpart autographed as well....obviously traded in by the same owner.

8. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Of note, just because you rip it to lossless doesn't mean the DVD itself is lossless. If the DVD source is LPCM, it is, but AC3 is not.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes...I like to have both. BUT, not as much as I did once before...most def before flash drives became cheap and easily accessible...

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. Yup. Absolutely. I’m a completest and seriously afflicted. Sorry, not sorry.

kevin5brown and Michael like this.
  11. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Certainly. In 1985 I bought David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust, The Motion Picture" on VHS and vinyl, so that's where the "concept" began for me.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

been there done that for too long! it's a drag but rewarding...geez, I've been getting better all the time... but not there yet.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  13. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Sometimes I'll buy a DVD for just the music. So then sometimes I'll by the CD, just as a place to put the ripped audio from the DVD. ;)

14. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

Not intentionally, the DVD is sufficient

Sometimes the concerts come as DVD/CD sets regardless

LilacTeardrop and dlokazip like this.
  15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Yes here.

I like being able to program the tracks I want to hear.

16. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I don't have the cd but I just ripped the dvd to flac. Very much brick walled but the music is really good.
    I filed it as a Blind Faith recording even though Ginger wasn't there.
    Where was Ginger by the way?

17. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

If they're stand alone yes.
    When they're combos I get those.

18. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I own the Pink Floyd - Live At Pompeii DVD but I picked up the import VCD of this performance as well. The same goes for Queen's Greatest Flix 1 & 2, I bought both the DVD and the VCD around the same time. Another example is Tomita - The Planets, I bought the surround CD but later found the surround DVD which I never even knew existed until I stumbled upon it online. The Pink Floyd, London 1966-1967, I bought the import CD EP, and eventually bought the CD-ROM version and the DVD.

19. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Mostly no, but I liked the 'Live In Paris' DVD of Diana Krall, so I bought the CD. I knew not all tracks were the same, but it was a used CD and I didn't care. I didn't want all the songs with strings on them anyway - just the small combo songs.

20. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I'm kinda the opposite in that I'll always buy the concert CD, but I rarely buy the DVD or blu ray unless it's an artist I really, really like. I find that I rarely watch a concert video more than once, but I'll listen to the CD many times. The exception is when there are more songs on the DVD than on the CD, in which case I'll always get both.

21. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

For rock music, I find the DVD usually less compressed. Some of the recent Rolling Stones concerts have been released as DVD or Blu Ray with 2 cds. The Blu Ray or DVD's sound better to me.

22. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Not if all songs on the cd are on the dvd as well. The dvd does not have the 80 minutes limit which either means more tracks or no pause between two discs.

23. Tony Rees

Tony Rees Forum Resident

Reading this thread and its slight creep (do you copy the audio-only sections of music DVDs onto other media for standalone listening) is applicable to me since I have just done a couple of these (making audio CDs off DVD soundtracks) - in my case so I can replay on systems or in situations not set up for DVD watching, and still enjoy the audio. The two I have just done are Stevie Wonder "Live at Last" recorded in London at a large arena (the O2) and a complete contrast, John Jorgenson and his Quintet (acoustic gypsy jazz) recorded at a small historic Italian theatre ((Teatrico Olimpico at Vicenza in 2006). Quite an interesting contrast - the Stevie Wonder has a lot of ambient reverberation and high level of recorded crowd sound (all part of the experience) as well as a large rock band (three keyboard players, 2 or more drummers etc., 4 backing singers, horns, etc.) and fairly integral between-song patter, while for the Jorgenson set the audience level is mixed quite far back and the concentration is on the stage sound mix and introductions (which are a little halting on account of the language barrier I think, and not so essential to the show).

I ended up doing a "flat" transfer of the S. Wonder to CD audio, 2-channel sound as analogue out of my DVD player then re-digitised using (home?) studio quality ADCs to redbook, no edits to the music programme, while for the J. Jorgenson I edited out 95% of the between-tune patter and re-EQd a little to bring up the acoustic bass (a bit hard to hear on the original) and also add a few more highs to enhance the the lead acoustic guitar sound in particular. Result: 2 home-burned double-CD sets that are very enjoyable for audio-only sessions (as well as being able to play them on my "better" hi-fi rather than through my TV-associated micro hi-fi system, or in the car). One thing that is interesting to ponder is how much of the "room sound" is a good idea to capture for live recordings - 2 extremes here, name lots (S. Wonder) vs. a modest amount (J. Jorgenson) - audio engineering decisions made at recording and/or later mixing time that may well differ according to the tastes of the engineer, producer, or artists in question.

Take home message for me is that not everything needs to be transferred "flat" or without judicious editing/removal of unwanted sections; for audio listening some of the general "chat" can get a little irrelevant without the associated visuals in any case. Anyway, a few observations of interest here, maybe... I probably will not attempt many more of my 200+ concert video DVDs etc. in this manner (having plenty of alternatives on CD for most of the artists represented) but may do a few more, and/or purchase CD versions of some DVDs I own as per the original premise of the thread - especially if the mix might be a little different (i.e. optimised for the audio-only experience - whatever that is...)

24. Adfly7

Adfly7 Nebula 2 Closed Galaxy Bend

Voted yes, DVD-Audio (was it that this thread was referring to?) do have different mastering than the CD counterpart.
    DVD-A has different resolution so it brings a new element + the different mastering.

25. Tony Rees

Tony Rees Forum Resident

The original question was, if you own a concert DVD, do you still buy the CD if the audio content on both is exactly the same? - so, referring to the audio tracks on a (pictures+sound) concert DVD rather than DVD-A.

I guess my take on this is, if the audio content is "originally" optimised for the full sound+vision experience, does the same completely satisfy the equivalent for audio-only listening, or is perhaps a different mix (EQ etc., deleting some sections) preferable? Of course in my example/s just posted, the answer would be "it depends..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.