Do You Care if CD Comes Back?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Well, honestly, do you? :idea:

head_unit likes this.
  2. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

Perfect sound forever ha ha.:targettiphat:

jmillar, Rich-n-Roll, shmick and 4 others like this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I lived before them, I'll live after as well. My collection of every conceivable format means I could stop being offered new releases tomorrow, and I'd simply accept it, and start actually saving money !!!!

4. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Ouch. Kidney punch. :evil: :eek:

Exotiki and samurai like this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'm more concerned that digital downloads are declining without a medium for the album. I don't care one bit about the physical CD. The only album format that isn't in decline is vinyl. The album is dying. I have a hard time seeing streaming as a viable medium for the album.

6. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Yes, I want CDs to come back. I want the CD stores back.

musicfan37, iggyd, batdude98 and 34 others like this.
  7. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

Why would I?

I won't be using them.

Other people using them won't affect me.

They won't stage a "comeback" though. There will be a little bump as a tiny segment stock up on the newly cheap CDs at this point, and perhaps the teeniest nostalgia bump. But nothing like the vinyl resurgence.

My personal attitude is good riddance to CDs.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

75% of my listening these days is vinyl, the rest is mostly CD. A little bit of tape-based formats creep in on occasion.

Streaming? What's that? Sounds like a urinary problem.:D

Yes, I'm old.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yes. Yes, I do. I waited weeks for one certain artists' album to come out last year...and she only released it digitally.

To make it double frustrating, she released "Part II" of the album...but with a CD option! :wtf: So, I can get "Part I" in files...but "Part II" in pits, OR grooves.

Stupid, stupid progress...! :mad:

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it never went away for me I can always buy them and find them used...when did they officially " go away"... date, time, place and death?

11. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Streaming is an attack on all physical formats both cds n vinyl...so u vinyl guys beware of wishing for cds demise cuz it affects vinyl too

Beware of wishing for cd s demise!

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm of two minds...

Paying for downloads is distasteful to me, yet I just today sold my CD player because I prefer ripping the discs and playing them via a server. :crazy:

April Snow, Kyhl, gingerly and 4 others like this.
  13. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Has the CD ever been away (since its introduction)? It's still the dominant physical format, as it has been since the early Nineties. That said, I do not want it to go away as it's also my preferred format.

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Okay, Dead Format Walking...what would you have to say if, if were your format of choice...and you could only purchase 45 % of the rest of the catalog by your favorite artist...on newer formats, that would require you to make an extra investment in equipment you don't respect, storage solutions that don't fit your older, preferred format, and maybe even only be given a choice of band members you didn't like (John Mayer, Sammy Hagar, or... Jeff Lynne sitting-in to play all the George Harrison parts...).

Then maybe you'd see things a little differently...? ;)

Eric_Generic likes this.
  15. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Not really, people would use what's convenient to them regardless of what a bunch of opinionated people would think on an Internet forum. If what people think here will matter then there would be no advance either because for everyone saying it is red there would be someone saying it is green.

You say CD's sound perfect and vinyl are all pops and crackle, I say that's not so. Have we advanced, have we changed the minds of anyone? I doubt it. Do I care if CD's come back, I don't there'll be plenty around for several lifetimes and in any case they have gone nowhere yet.

16. LH5

LH5 Well-Known Member

The time is now if you are out looking for cheap used CD's. They can be found for $2 to $5 at FYE's and other Record shops. Also is you are looking for cheap DVD's for when you don't want to pay $3.99 or so to stream from Netflix/AmazonPrim/Hulu to watch one of your favorite movies. I have recently added Tidal as one of my music sources and really enjoying the sound quality and selection. But I am still buying New/Used LP's and CD's. You never know when one of these streaming services is going the way of Ultraviolet and now iTunes. Or if Tidal/Spotify or other services loose their licenses to particular Artists or Labels?

17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

If CD goes away it won't be because of vinyl.
    No one wishes for CD's demise, certainly no one into vinyl wishes for it. That's projection - many CD enthusiasts desperately wish vinyl would have stayed gone.

If the future is streaming (and it most certainly is) it is so for reasons that have nothing to do with the silly pissing match between CD and vinyl.

Exotiki, MackKnife, bdfin and 7 others like this.
  18. Michael

absolutely... vinyl has nothing to do with the CD staying or going away...I agree.

Swann36 and cdgenarian like this.
  19. Michael

and of course I respect your opinion whether I agree with it or not...

20. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Well, I started streaming about a year ago, and I have purchased 1000X more CDs in that time than I purchased in the 10 years previous to streaming, which was 0 (as in less than 1). :)

21. Michael

If I can only get music on vinyl I would not buy it...I have plenty of CDs...thousands...

22. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Jeez, does that mean I have to stop listening to my 8 tracks?:sigh:

23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Why not? I stream albums, but I also do not necessarily have my finger on the pulse of what is viable commercially, so I am curious why streaming would not be a viable medium for albums.

24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

First option.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  25. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Maybe Best Buy is no longer carrying CDs, but I'm still buying them and not having any prob finding them, either. In fact, I've noticed a number of recent albums have been released only as mp3 files or as CDs.