Do You Care if CD Comes Back?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have heard some stories of what you say but I have some CDs that are over thirty years old and still have no problems. I have thousands of CDs and not one of them has rotted.
    The lasers they use in CD players is very different from the kind that are used to cut and change surfaces. Watt wise that is.

VonMagnum, modela, JimmyCool and 2 others like this.
  2. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

You seem unaware of disc rot:

Disc Rot: What Happens When Discs Die

I have a shelf full of HD DVDs, not much more than 10 years old, and many of them no longer play due to disc rot.

jvcforce likes this.
  3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I still listen to cds all the time even if there are better options.I already have like 800 or so cds and a cd player,still is convienent sounds good even if downloads or vinyl sounds better.So far they all still play fine although I really don`t need to buy them much anymore.Maybe they will disintergrate someday,but so will I.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

if the play side is rotted try 90% alcohol to clean the disc...

5. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Never knew the CD left??? Where did they go?

Just checked... mine are still here - they must like the house!

I bought many hundreds of M- CDs last year, filled up a BIG box, got too many really. Love every one of them too.

:bdance:

Here's the deal... if your not into CDs that's outstanding!!!! More M- great titles for us!! :agree:

CDs will be around for a long-long time. No worries. And if they are 'gone'... who cares. For us CD collectors... we got ours when the going was good, most for $1 each,(some 50 cents or $2 max if it's just an outrageous album, M-!! LOL. I mean... $1 each, seriously, give me a break. Super Great Albums for $1 +/- each! Ya just can't beat that. Can't beat it. Can't touch it. Rock on. :) A few weeks ago I got Bad Company double album greatest hits.... $1. Album was like brand new. That's what I'm saying.

P.S. Think about it. It cost more in the 'old days' just to buy quality cassette blanks! And were getting the Factory CDs!! That's outrageous. CDs are great.

In fact... just bought 5 LPs today!! :righton:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    modela, fogalu, DME1061 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Some context on new-CD sales (used-CD, of course, is a different matter):

[​IMG]

7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Another silly thread started by someone that wishes they were gone. I don’t understand why:cheers:

8. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I suppose; Love cds, but I don't listen to new music(last new cd was Liam Gallagher's 2017), and probably never will at this point.

9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Not that dead horse again. PS what is a HD DVD?

domfjbrown and F1nut like this.
  10. Cyclone Ranger

Nope, that would not be accurate. :oops:

If I 'wanted CDs gone', I'd directly say so. Cheers.

MackKnife and Karnak like this.
  11. Cyclone Ranger

IIRC, a failed/dead competitor to Blu-Ray.

Think 'a latter-day Betamax'... 'cept I don't remember if it was better or worse than Blu-Ray.

12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I have several thousand CDs going back over 30 years . . . still waiting for a single one of them to "rot." I have LPs going back 50 years; many are worn.

13. Michael

if that's the format you enjoy why would you? heck, I enjoyed The Beatles music on my pocket AM radio tucked under my pillow in 1964...

cdgenarian likes this.
  14. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast

I don't like CDs that much. They are convenient, but I'd much rather play a 15 IPS master reel to reel tape of some of my own written music. CDs are too fragile, and only last about 2 years in my world. Tapes, a long time.

15. Michael

the more you play them the more they wear whether is fast or slow they still wear...something CDs do NOT DO...EVER...always just as new as the first day you bought them...I like that...and I can make a copy forever and keep the original pristine in my collection...

16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

CD's haven't left, so pointless thread.

dalem5467 and Rose River Bear like this.
  17. Twelvepitch

Reel-to-reel tape takes several years to wear out if you play it sparingly, CDs slowly but surely rot, as you said, unlike non back coated reel-to-reel tape.

Michael likes this.
  18. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Yeah I guess you and I are lucky. I have never had a CD do anything but sit there and remain the same. I will be long dead and they probably will still be the same a hundred years from now.

F1nut and Twelvepitch like this.
  19. Twelvepitch

Have you ever thought about using cassette or reel-to-reel? That's what I use mostly. As I said above, those take many years to wear even the smallest amount. Reel to reel will be the dominant recording format again very soon, people like me will get fed up losing precious master files on software crashes.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  20. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

I care only if CDs migrate on vinyl support like I saw in many new BS vinyl releases, mastered from some crappy CDs, not from the original master tapes. This dishonest practice pushes me to buy only old vinyls, mastered from the original master tapes.

jvcforce likes this.
  21. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

sad.

Echo likes this.
  22. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

You are right the laser is of a different wattage and other than damaging your eyesight could really do very little immediate damage to anything else I can think of but it is still a laser. Having 35 years old CD's that play fine does not really serve as a test because you have not been playing the same CD non stop since you bought it. The same can be said for vinyl records I have that play perfectly despite being close to twice the age of your CD's. If used they will eventually wear however properly stored I trust them to be much more stable for centuries.

I am not aware of any of my CD's developing rot either, I don't use them much to know but I am aware of some of my DVD's that stop working with no physical damage. It is a real problem that happens, CD's are still not old enough to feel so confident, because it hasn't happened yet it won't happen to some of yours.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  23. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

what are you doing with these CDs that only last 2 years? Pretty much the only CDs that have ever failed without mishandling are the PDO ones from the early 90s with disc rot caused by incorrect manufacturing.. All others will last multiple lifetimes. Tapes are pretty much the most fragile format, especially cassette. you live in bizarro world apparently.

24. Twelvepitch

I'm very rough with CDs, sorry to say. Tape, as I said, will last a very long while if you handle if carefully. I'll never broken a single piece of tape in my life, only acetate tape, which is extremely fragile.

25. Twelvepitch

To be more specific, I'm extremely clumsy, I've dropped them on a hard tile floor, stepped on them accidentally, to be honest, I can't stand CDs. Just my opinion, take it or leave it.