Do You Care if CD Comes Back?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Well, maybe if you’re in an ‘altered state’ it’s a big deal.

“Ooooooh... SHINY!!!!” :biglaugh:

Audiowannabee likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I want to laugh, but then again, people get excited about colored vinyl. :laugh:

Tom H and nosliw like this.
  3. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Thanks i needed a good laugh today
    Lol

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  4. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Oh, yes. I like shiny things.

I think your joke detector is broken.

5. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

I don't use the cd medium at all these days -- save about 3 per year that I buy because I hear something (say a track on a tv show) that piques my interest, or as a new release where the band for some reason makes lossy files available but not lossless.

We have ~1800 'albums' on a home server. New additions are acquired digitally if at all possible. We don't own a cd player and won't again.

6. What you don't seem to grasp, I don't care about streaming services. I know that there is many differences choices out there with about every kind of sound quality available. I don't need them. I have practically everything I would ever want to hear on physical media. There are still plenty of classic recordings out there which have never made it to a digital or streaming medium, so if some new recordings don't make it to CD, oh well.
    For decades, there were variety programs out there, introducing new music. Radio stations mainly played recordings which were already hits and well known. What has stuck around is the talk-based shows. If you want to hear, and see new stuff, that is where you go, mostly for free. If what you hear interests you, I haven't a single thing not available to order or pre-order on CD, with the other formats often available in addition. One of the current shows which has great new music is BBC's Graham Norton show. Other shows which are late night broadcast shows are another good source for the new stuff. SNL is also another great source for new and classic music, but I don't watch that anymore because it has lost it's entertainment value and has resorted to cruel, insensitive political aspects. So, I have no need for streaming and I still seem to keep ahead of the game musically.
    Oh, and with much of my collection recorded and being recorded to hard drive as lossless 16/44.1 wav files as I write this, with a small lot of high-capacity thumb drives, I am my own streaming service. Hmmm. That gives me an idea.....

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

as of this day, 9-11-19 every new release is still on CD, every new release is NOT available on vinyl.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  8. Cyclone Ranger

EVERY new release is on CD? :sigh:

jusbe likes this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

A list. A list. I need a list

10. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I don't think so. I think some are digital (downloads) only.

jusbe and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes, pretty much so.

other than download only, very very few new releases are on vinyl and not on CD.

12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That's 100% not true that every new release is still on CD. This year I wanted to by a new album on CD -- the new Hilary Hahn album of violin sonata written for her by Anton Garcia Abril. But it was only released on vinyl, digital download, and streaming. No CD. And of course there are many, many new releases with no physical edition at all.

13. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

My findings as well! I’ve also been disappointed to discover that several European Jazz albums I’ve streamed and liked were only released on vinyl and download, no CD. Very disappointed!

jusbe and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i stand corrected.

maybe i should have said every new 'mainstream' album.

nothing against hilary hahn.

15. Cyclone Ranger

Apparently this is not the case.

16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

She's as mainstream as it gets, in the realm of classical music. One of the industry's biggest concert draws. The type of musician who gets a big feature profile in the New York Times. Hardly avant garde or out of the mainstream. And I know when I wanted to buy the Chloe X Halle records -- released by Beyonce's Parkwood Entertainment, the young sisters covering magazines like Teen Vogue and starring on the ABC Blackish spin-off, so very mainstream, well, the first EP never got a physical edition at all; the second release, a full-length mixtape, only got issued on Sound Cloud and as a download. The full length third release though got both CD and LP editions. It's increasing common for releases to get no physical edition (The number one album on the rap chart this week, #4 on the over all album chart, the debut album by teen rapper Lil Tecca, We Love You Tecca, has no physical edition I think), or no CD edition, or a CD edition that's a brief limited edition special package release and goes quickly out of print (like the new Tool record, were there is no standard CD edition). It's one of the main points of this thread -- the industry (and consumer) trend way from CD. This is increasing the new state of the mainstream, of top charting albums, of albums from the biggest acts in their genres, of albums from artists who are crossover stars on TV shows and magazine covers. Mainstream.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    jusbe likes this.
  17. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Actually, the Bruce Springsteen Collection Vol. 2 did not come out on CD in North America or Europe. One could argue that all of these albums were already on CD for years, but not these new remasters. It was vinyl only (and maybe on streaming services, I'm not sure). And what's more "mainstream" than Springsteen ?

18. 80sFan

80sFan Well-Known Member

music streaming and DACs are easy in there is no need to worry about the time the laser fails, but yes i love to CD to come back, mostly 24bit these days

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

vinyl lovers are special people.

god love em, i hope for them that everything they ever want comes back on vinyl.

they deserve it for not giving up, or giving in.

:tiphat:

20. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Qobuz and Tidal are all I need, said the person with 7000 lp’s and 6000 cd’s. Seriously if I knew that both of those services would be available to my demise I could easily do without cd’s. Lp’s are a different matter, not because the necessarily sound that much better but because they are part of my generic makeup.

21. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

At that point I might be forced to just make my own damn music instead of always listening to other people's!

22. tikibar

tikibar Well-Known Member

I search for early and unusual versions of CDs, such as those from the early stampers in Germany and Japan, but also versions from other countries. They do sound different, just as versions of vinyl do. So back to the the topic, I would like to see CDs come back as this type of 'hunting' is a big part of the fun of this hobby for me.

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

If I did that it would not be a pretty sight.

24. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Any samples available?

25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yes, but I heard it's only used as a form of torture at my local prison.

Uglyversal likes this.