Do You Care if CD Comes Back?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jun 22, 2019.

1. elmoe

elmoe Forum Resident

I'd love CD/record stores to come back. I'm in my mid 30s and when I was a kid I could still walk into a store to browse through.

Exotiki, jusbe, CDFanatic and 2 others like this.
  2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

It’s true. They used it to break me at Guantanamo. :eek:

Bedlam Inside likes this.
  3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Consider myself very lucky that I still have several music stores within driving distance.

4. elmoe

elmoe Forum Resident

I have a couple but they are lacking compared to what music stores used to be like in the 70s, 80s, 90s. It's a shame but I think a lot of people, including millenials, are getting nostalgic and hopefully music stores make a comeback.

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I like how things are today, honestly. I get to dive into aisles of albums whenever I have a few hours to kill, but I also have the Interwebs to look for stuff I would never ever find locally.

6. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

Well I like the format. And it only stands to reason if CDs do come back they will continue to make and gamble on more obscure titles that have never been released yet. That would only benefit those who never had the opportunity to listen to them on CD at all.

anorak2 and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

CD is gone! What? when did this happen????

8. JayDog

JayDog Well-Known Member

I haven't bought a CD in a very long time but I did just recently pull them all out and burned 100 of them so far. I probably have another 400ish to burn. Kinda cool as I'm finding stuff I forgot about since I haven't touched them in years. All the music I've bought recently has been Vinyl and Hi-Res downloads. I didn't even realize how cheap CD'S have become as I wasn't looking to buy any. A lot of albums there might not be a Hi-Res download or a Vinyl version so odd to me that in a lot of cases it's appears cheaper to buy the CD and rip your own copy then to pay for the CD quality download and if that's the case I'd probably take the CD as not as heavy as my vinyl storage. Was debating buying a few while prices are nice just in case it were to come back and prices increase.

Bedlam Inside likes this.
  9. Francophile50

The format is not dead but year after year the sales keep tanking. I wonder when a label will release a album other ways and only produce a tittle by special order. With streaming and music sold as a download more and more people are buying less and less. It seems like the only market is the aging one.

10. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I don't need CDs to come back... got 'tons' of them already.

It just worked out that way.

I prefer LPs but CDs are great too.

:goodie:

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Mikewest likes this.
  11. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

CD's never left, for me. I purchase new artists' & some who've been around for a time, numerous genre's. Have been bummed a couple of xs the last year & into this one when something new is released on vinyl & digital only, but that's the minority...
    So, most of new music I'd like to purchase on CD is available. (My only listening format when I make purchases, which is often. I utilize streaming as a means of discovering new/new-to-me music which I may like to purchase-on CD.) :righton:

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  12. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

I’ve bought more CDs in the past two years than vinyl. They’re cheaper and take up less space. Also, if you track down the right ones they can sound pretty damn good.

13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

My CD purchasing has dropped significantly last couple of years. More and more downloads (last two Dylan bootlegs, the 1971 Allman box, and amazingly for me, the June 72 GD Box). But I still have the Dave Picks, the latest Garcia 13, and am awaiting Paul Desmond Mosaic all on CD. If I were starting over, I suspect I'd do the downloads whenever possible.

Then of course there's Dylan and Neil coming out next month.

14. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I love a good, mainly used, CD shop. I spend hours browsing the used stuff folks like, possibly you, who've jettisoned their CDs, and I scoop them up for a song. It's sad to me to have you say good riddance on one hand, but in the other hand I can get "your" CDs.....so to speak.

Thank you !

I hope CDs continue to be made...mostly deluxe editions or rare stuff that's been very hard to find, but the day to day contemporary music CDs don't do much for me. I hate to see them go for those who do like contemporary stuff....but I believe I'll have a supply of older music that just won't quit because other's quit their collecting ! Hahahahaa....

As I said...it's sad that so many don't get into the collecting part anymore and those of that culture are few and far between ....I feel I've lost a 'friend' in the sharing and communing with music listeners. I've accepted that though....and am happy I can still go to those few stores, some of which have a massive amount of used CDs for my perusal. I may look thru 3000 CDs and come away with just a handful...but they're treasures !!! So...for those who don't care about them anymore....PLEASE take them to a used shop for me and others like myself. Thanks.

15. Francophile50

I hope that when I die all my CDs get redistributed into the hands of some young man or woman who can appreciate the music that I once did. All the great stuff that I've accumulated some of this stuff is hundreds of years old I am just taking care of for the next guy but in the meantime enjoying the heck out of it.

16. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

For a moment I thought you were destroying them.

Mikewest, bever70 and siebrand like this.
  17. AmadeusMozart

AmadeusMozart Forum Resident

Once all physical media has gone then the streaming industry starts to charge by the song that your are listening to. Initially it is only a fraction of a cent / a penny but gradually it creeps up. Just like the on-line auctions, initially 25 cents to list something and by now it is something like 7 % or so of the sale price. They're roping you in so they can rake the $$$'s in.

Same as recently PayPal increasing their conversion rate.

18. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

I use all 3 formats, CD, Vinyl and streaming, have never downloaded anything music wise ever as I still prefer the 'physical' format and if when i don't have can't get broadband at least I have music at my fingertips as long as electricity isn't cut off !! Streaming is convenient I grant you that but I still read sleeve notes while i'm listening and once i have purchased it it is mine to use when and where I like. I agree with the above....charges will increase and not generally to the artist themselves.

19. siebrand

siebrand music lover

I thought that, too...
    It would have been such a great crime.... :cop:

anorak2 likes this.
  20. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

I've not always like cds , I started off maybe 30 years ago with a cd player that sounded ok , but not as engaging as records . It was my fault for not experimenting enough with different cd players. I just sort of settled on the first player that came my way . The last cd player I bought sounds just as engaging as my records used to do . So it's cds all the way 'til the wheels fall off and burn.
    I voted for a the first option , not that I've had any difficulty sourcing anything I want the usual purveyors of said media or burning a disc from a download etc .

21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Don't worry, it's fake news!

George P and Michael like this.
  22. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

With Guantanamera?

Bedlam Inside, fogalu and bever70 like this.
  23. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

its not gone away. especially as most vinyl re-issues are no more than a cd pressed onto vinyl. theres way too much snobbery in hifi with people knocking cd and then paying insane prices for record thats basically a large cd.
    cd is great
    Please dont throw the hires argument in as we cant hear anything above the range of cd.
    there arent many record shops left in the Uk but cd's massively outnumber records.
    latest figures show that cd outsells vinyl by 8 to 1. yes cd sales are falling but vinyl sales are virtually stagnant with a growth of 1.6%
    And yes i love records and the analogue sound. but i wont be conned or a snob by bothering with cd on a vinyl.
    if cd is going away then in the Uk vinyl is dead in the water
    for the best sound get the original analogue if possible but never forget that garbage sound can never be anything else but garbage sound.
    its all down to the source. if thats bad then...................

24. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

It was a victim of the loudness wars.

mikedifr0923 and Michael like this.
  25. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

One thing I'll see that's weird to me on a occasion: when the LP (vinyl) will cost more than the CD version. For instance, the new Green Day album--I've seen it at multiple retailers. I'm talking about new copies, not "gently loved".

"

clhboa likes this.