Do you clean new vinyl before first playback?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aakko, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

And, of course, using your Loricraft RCM is almost as much fun as playing the record :righton:

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have taken pictures using my phone but I'm a luddite and have no idea how to post pictures. I guess that goes with being 65 and still listening to records. I use a bowl that is white on the inside so the stuff shows up. Some of it looks like globs of an oily residue and some of it looks like black vinyl residue. You'll see paper if the record came in a paper sleeve. This is new vinyl only.

Leonthepro likes this.
  3. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Join in the fun, and play music at the same time.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  4. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Yes, I do the same, and I also clean all records before playing.

Old Audiophool likes this.
  5. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

More often than I used to, for reasons listed above.

I use a two Spin Clean "system", one for washing, one for rinsing. I usually wait til I have 10 or so records to clean. Most music I buy on lp I already own in digital form, so I'm usually not in a giant hurry to hear the lp.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yes. You never know what’s lurking in that vinyl.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2018
    Mugrug12 and Leonthepro like this.
  7. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I clean every record with a spin-clean the take wet to a EV-1 RCM then I rinse. I know often there is cutting debris that may or may not be removed from a simple duster. One time when I bought my Beatles Mono masters after cleaning all 3 records had large amount of loud pops. I even had a thread about how bad the pressing was. So about 3 months ago I rerecorded them and this time no loud pops. All I can figure is the 1st time I played them the needle needed to plow the groove to remove all the debris.

8. ghost rider

I want to get one for rinsing too.

9. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

I clean only if i have visible dirt on the surface - or after a first spin, when the dirt is audible.
    Then it happens too often, that the pressing is of bad quality and cleaning does not help.
    But sometimes (50/50) cleaning does help ...

10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Depends. If it looks like it needs it I will. Probably should every new record, but I'm lazy.

11. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

They had a sale awhile back on their retro brown plastic model, which may not have sold well. I picked it up for $50 w/free shipping. I just fill the second one with distilled water, no flocculant fluid. Seems to work great, and I like the idea of rinsing off the water with the fluid in it.

12. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

Carbon Fiber Brush.

tin ears, Bake and Morbius like this.
  13. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

With no "It Depends" option, I voted "No."

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

PooreBoy and Leonthepro like this.
  14. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Yes and yes to a new Mofi sleeve

Gasman1003 and Old Audiophool like this.
  15. ghost rider

works great for static but IMO it just spreads the dust around so after I dust each side before play I drop the carbon fiber brush to remove static. I have read many posts where people complained about how a CFB left light scratches, look on amazon under the 1 star reviews. The only way I figured you could do that is by trying to drag the dust off the record.

bxbluesman likes this.
  16. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

No need for a RCM. Well, not exactly true. You don't "need" an RCM to clean a record. I use the mofi cleaner with the felt brush, then wipe it down with a clean micro fiber cloth - all done on the turntable itself. Then of course the obligatory mofi sleeve. Each time i play an album I static clean it first. Then the onzow zerodust every few records for the stylus.

17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I just bought my first RCM, a VPI 16.5.

I honestly think it may have changed my life.

That being said I would only clean new vinyl if it were noisy. In fact it was the new My Bloody Valentine Isn't Anything which caused me to finally buy the RCM (cleaning fixed the noise btw).

Anyway I have about 1,000 records I have to get through. Then I can start cleaning new vinyl :)

McGuy and Gasman1003 like this.
  18. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

New records need to be cleaned. Most of the vinyl I clean is new, or newer, and when I change the water in the ADS it looks like weak tea. That's a sure sign of oily release agents used in the pressing process.

19. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Well you would preferably not remove the oil compounds in the vinyl. Are you using an alcohol to clean with?

IR66 likes this.
  20. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Yes, as many on this forum have suggested. Can't hurt, has to help. Right? SpinClean, then brush before playing.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  21. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Always. Five minutes and on to the rotator.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Only if I sneeze on it.

23. missan

missan Forum Resident

Never, i seldom clean records.

IR66 and showtaper like this.
  24. Bake

Bake Well-Known Member

I just use a carbon fiber brush and on occasion a little light spray of distilled water and wipe down with microfiber cloth. I will add a Mofi sleeve on occasion as well if I feel it's needed. It's just a simple process that has worked for me for years.

showtaper and recstar24 like this.
  25. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

I clean everything on a rcm except new mofi records. Does anybody else do this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.