Do you clean new vinyl before first playback?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aakko, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Great display photo! Good questions and comments! Just simply dissolved debris can turn a solution brownish, but for a new record? Does anyone have an example of solution turning yellowish or darker from a brand new record?

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

To me, cleaning new records is more trouble than it's worth, other than just brushing off loose dust before play. I don't do any pre-emptive record cleaning. I just clean the records when they obviously need it -- if they're visibly dirty or audibly getting noisy.

Someone noted that records aren't made in a clean room sort of sterile environment -- I don't know about any of you, but in my case, they're also not played back in that sort of environment either, far from it; and my record cleaning set up isn't sterile or clean in that way either. So while cleaning makes them cleaner ways, there's still potentially residue and abrasion. Dust falls on the record in the room instantly after and even during cleaning. I don't hear any audible advantage to cleaning new records. So I don't bother. BTW, squeaky clean records mean higher levels of stylus groove friction, and putting lubes on record, while fraught with other problems solve that, but would probably horrify the "clean the records before you pull them out of the sleeve" crowd.

5-String and The FRiNgE like this.
  3. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Ahh, to reveal more inner detail!

4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Just a carbon brush, to remove the remnant dust, otherwise new vinyl is clean.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  5. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Too much work. I’m a little lazy - outside of meticulously researching various CD releases (to avoid LOUD releases), ripping the CD, and scanning my own cover art, I don’t put much effort into my music listening/collecting hobby.

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I voted yes as I usually give it a quick spin on my RCM when I'm doing a batch clean. But I'll play it without a clean too if I have no plans to do a batch cleaning anytime soon.

7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Then I certainly dont recommend it.

The FRiNgE and luckybaer like this.
  8. IR66

IR66 Well-Known Member

I have been buying records for 40 years and new ones never get any 'wet' clean of any kind!
    Most of the noise clicks and pops are due to static and therefore an anti-static gun firstly, and then if any dust is on the record use a carbon fiber brush. Wet cleaning is for dirty used records ,which is needed in that case, when I did wet clean a new record ,even on a RCM I have found it made it worse.
    The cleaning of new records is a fairly new thing to me,I do not touch the playing surface, just the edges and the label and they sound fine with just a quick clean with a microfiber brush before playing. Also clean your stylus before each play helps too.

willboy, wgriel and Chrome_Head like this.
  9. Leonthepro

I thought my RCM made new records worse as well but it was just static it added. With proper use and liquid it only improves the playback.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  10. Jack/UK

Jack/UK Well-Known Member

New ones get just brush treatment. Used ones get wet clean.

wgriel and tin ears like this.
  11. anonymous

anonymous Active Member

Yes. I found when I upgraded my system to a high enough level I (and others) could easily discern the sound of something on the records (release agent?). This sound, kind of like sandpaper on plastic, disappears when the records are wet vacuum cleaned. (I don’t think it is static charge, but that may also be a factor.) It’s not heard on every record I have purchased new, but now I just clean them beforehand since I know they start out somewhat dirty. After the wet vacuum clean I may occasionally use a brush, but only if I see something (like a hair).

12. Leonthepro

Release agents put on stampers have never been substantiated. More inclined to assume static or fine dirt.

Troy4 and wgriel like this.
  13. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Whole vaccum clean when GZVinyl and others put the records inside tight inner sleeves that leave dirt on it.

14. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Yes, if a new record has crap all over it, usually because it was pressed at GZ, or the edge of the LP shredded the seams of the inner sleeve during shipment and left crap all over it, then I will give that record a wet clean. If it looks spotless or just has a few tiny bits of stuff that can be blown off, I don't bother.

But then, on a few occasions, I have played brand new records that looked clean, but which nevertheless left a tiny bit of dust/debris on the stylus toward the end of a side. In those cases, I'll clean the LP before I play it again. But I have to say, those instances are few and far between.

15. IR66

IR66 Well-Known Member

I agree, I still have records I bought new 35 years ago that have never been cleaned,stored properly in anti static inner sleeves,they play through perfectly with no clicks or pops,they just get a quick carbon fiber brush before each play,and the stylus gets cleaned.

wgriel, Chris Schoen and eyeCalypso like this.
  16. IR66

IR66 Well-Known Member

Anti static gun, then carbon fiber brush on new records,if it's done vice versa it won't work.The static has to be removed first.Any rubbing with cloths will make static, and also touching the playing surface not only puts oil from your hands on the vinyl, but also makes more static especially where I live on the west coast.The carbon fiber brush I have works fine at removing dust and doesn't scratch.

17. Leonthepro

Try draging it against the grooves and see if it scratches then.

18. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

No unless when playing i hear noise that i think might be related to dirt or debris from the inner sleeve.
    Cleaning used to be fun for me but now it's a hassle and i use it only on "emergencies"

Nick Brook likes this.
  19. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Yes, always

20. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

I 've gone through phases of cleaning new records as a matter of course, but now I only do if there's a problem with the record.

21. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

No. Life's too short. I do dry brush my stylus gently before every play.

For me, record cleaning is only for when I'm concerned that they might be dirty and needing it.

And me, I have a bath or shower once every 6 weeks, whether I need it or not.

Umberto Callegarin likes this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No! Never.

23. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I don't, then if it needs it and you know after first play, then I do. I carbon brush all sides before play of course.

24. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Yes, new records always cleaned before being first played.

I clean/vac records on a Loricraft. All the cleaning solution is vacuumed off the record into a refuse container jar. I have done cleaning sessions where the only records cleaned were sealed, brand new records. The container jar after cleaning only new records exhibits waste solution with a gray, cloudy cast with the finest grain of dirt suspended in the solution.

Yes, new records are cleaned because new records are dirty.

25. anonymous

anonymous Active Member

It varies, but people can see something about as small as 50um in size. On the vinyl record close-up picture below, the scale bar is 50um so the record grooves can be easily seen, but all of the other debris would be invisible to the naked eye so the record would look perfectly clean when it is not. I have a Loricraft and new records leave a lot of dirt in the bottle for me too and clearer sound quieter when cleaned.

[​IMG]

PATB and Leonthepro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.