Do you consider the Police prog rock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylphile, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I consider them to be a bit proggae.

2. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

...which is his wont.

3. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident Thread Starter

They were certainly one of the bigger acts of their era and seem quite respected by the musicians I know. Never heard ANYONE say that their songs are all just rehashes of Roxanne - just like I had never heard anyone refer to them as prog rock ;)

uzn007 likes this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I'm glad everyone agrees that all their songs are prog-rock rehashes of "Roxanne".

wavethatflag and vinylphile like this.
  5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Despite the lopsided poll results, I think that this question isn't quite so cut and dried as it might appear at first blush. Obviously, they don't sound anything like symphonic prog in the ELP mold, but their jazzy flourishes hint at a certain progressive sensibility. I listened to Synchronicity from the box set last night and while they were working within a pop/rock song format, there were certainly some artful, experimental moments in there, with the enigmatic two part title tracks, the exotic world flavors and such. By the time I made it the extended live take on "Tea In The Sahara", I was almost wishing that I could change my vote. . . ;)

footlooseman and uzn007 like this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yeah, but...

There's a difference between having some proggy aspects (which have been mentioned since early in this thread) and being "a prog rock band" (which is how they were referred to in the OP).

Tristero likes this.
  7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

And that "Don't Stand So Close To Me '86" is both a prog masterpiece and the best song they ever released.

8. drumandguitar

drumandguitar Forum Resident

No. Don't be silly.

uzn007 and BuckNaked like this.
  9. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Can I vote 'No' twice?

uzn007 likes this.
  10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

No. And again... no.

11. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

This thread title makes me smile.

uzn007 likes this.
  12. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

Actually, they were nominated in the metal category for Broadsword... :) and that is one way of actually being progressive!

Do the original poster refer to ”prog” as in the bands in the 70s? Well, maybe no then. But in terms of creativity, odd time signature at times, crossing ska/punk/pop/rock I would definitely say they they were equally progressive in their approach as the acts that usually get to wear the ”prog” label. A prog band? Well, each to his own. Progressive as in the original meaning of the word? Most definitely. Successfully so.

13. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Ummm, yes but... the problem is that if you broaden the definition of "prog-rock" to include anyone that's "progressive" in the way you describe, you would have to include so many acts that it would be ridiculous. The Beatles, for one, I think most of SHF would agree... the Everly brothers, Simon & Garfunkel, the Sex Pistols, the Cars... there isn't much point in giving a name to a genre unless it defines a relatively small subset. The term "progressive rock" as used in music journalism does that. I'm not even all that comfortable with heavy metal bands being called prog, though I suppose it's OK if qualified as "prog-metal".

Roger Thornhill and wavethatflag like this.
  14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

We're up to 12 yes votes. That is super interesting. Super wrong, but super interesting. Maybe the apostles have recently returned, like rock 'n' roll, but aren't that familiar with the genre yet.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  15. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

[​IMG]

uzn007 likes this.
  16. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

good god. NO!

uzn007 likes this.
  17. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Um. No. Just...no.

Even Prog Archives, which manages to shoehorn in the most unlikely acts as prog doesn't include them.

uzn007 likes this.
  18. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

They are the same amount Prog as they are Britpop, with that amount being zero.

wavethatflag likes this.
  19. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

I wouldn't really call them 80s "Brit Pop". They mixed reggae, rock, pop and a bit of jazz. Brit Pop to me are bands like Bucks Fizz. The Police defiantly had much more musical credibility and ability than Brit Pop bands.

wavethatflag likes this.
  20. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

Interesting Question. I would say the short answer in No. Having said that, their last 2 albums featured a few songs closely related to prog rock. A couple of exhibits:

- "Secret Journey" (from "Ghost in the Machine") could have perfectly fit into what Rush was doing at the time.
    - "Mother" (from "Synchronicity") was the closest they got to King Crimson Mark I.

21. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I played a The Police compilation in the car yesterday ... listening to King Of Pain with its syncopation I thought to myself that it was kinda King Crimson-ish (back in their early 80s stage) ... and Rush kinda nicked their style for Grace Under Pressure.

So it's not that The Police were prog in the 80s, but prog was influenced by The Police in the 80s, and it's easy for someone to mix up cause and effect here.

--Geoff

Boognish and Javier Santivanez like this.
  22. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Uhh..no.

23. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

My friend says that Oasis is Heavy Metal.* Should I start a new thread or just kick him in his gentleman-ly parts?

*There's a good chance this never actually happened.

uzn007 likes this.
  24. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

You are absolutely right. Also agree on "King of pain" being related to King Crimson Mark III. Never thought about it and this reminds me of the couple of albums that Andy Summers recorded with Robert Fripp in the early 80s, so there could have been some sort of musical cross pollination in there.

ostrichfarm and uzn007 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.