Do you count non physical product that are in your streaming library as part of "your collection"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

Some of us consider the extramusical attributes of an album to be art rather than fluff. I think a great album cover, something well-designed by someone like Roger Dean or Hipgnosis, is a wonderful and irreplaceable piece of art.

But getting back to the point of this thread, the packaging isn't required to make music part of your collection if you personally don't value it.

Cronverc, SRC and BeatleJWOL like this.
  2. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

Related question: Is music that someone ripped/burned for you a part of your collection? Years ago, if someone taped an album for you, did you consider it part of your collection? Personally I did not and do not.

c-eling, Cronverc and Hot Ptah like this.
  3. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Excellent discussion, each side civil and well written.

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  4. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I love streaming because it allows so much freedom, and because it's something that was at one time unimaginable- if you had told me as a 15 year old in 1985 that streaming was coming I'd have though it too good to be true.

The funny thing is, I LOVE my physical collection. Streaming actually makes me feel better about it for some reason. I like the idea of my collection in its proper place while I am free to listen while I'm out or with friends etc...

HotelYorba101 and Hot Ptah like this.
  5. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Yes indeed. The music can be just one component of a multimedia experience, a feast for the senses. Who knew? :)

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

You can start a burned CD collection though :D

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Eventually I will need to deal with this, also.

Hopelly not for another decade or two.

8. JackS

JackS Then Play On

no, and no to the first question

9. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

99.5% of my collection are digital downloads. The few remaining are CDs. I consider them all apart of my collection. As far as for my streaming library (I started the Apple Music service for my daughter and decided to do the family plan) I have not really thought about it.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

If I had any I would..

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I do not and will not...all my music has been purchased years ago and currently as well...

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

To answer this would take the thread into that rabbit hole of the tired back and forth of the legalities of ripping your collection.

13. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air

I spoke to a neighbor today who works for one of the streaming companies. He told me people should enjoy all the low-priced content now while they still can, because prices are going to at least triple within the next few years. He also said that the record labels would soon begin to unveil their own streaming services, and that it would fragment the market. He said, depending on what they want, that people would most likely need to subscribe to five or more services in the next few years, and that total costs will start to approach cable TV rates i.e. around $80 total monthly if you want everything.

14. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The album art is important, I value it. Looks great on Apple TV on a 65" 4K HDR TV, looks great on CarPlay on an in-car entertainment system as well. On the Apple TV it has album art, liner notes, and lyrics that scroll with the music. Not much of an argument that a 4K image about 4x the size of the physical LP cover and 12x the size of a CD cover is more immersive and detailed, links to videos and outtakes too, so the album experience is expanded even further.

15. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Tell your neighbor to tell his boss and his boss’s friends that it’s a stupid idea to try and follow the video companies ideas and to go to hell if they do!!!...

16. jaypee65

jaypee65 Forum Resident

Here we go again...

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

After 17 pages!:laugh:

Rocky's Owner and c-eling like this.
  18. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

if it actually happens, I wonder if the experience of the visual streaming industry will be instructive. As we write in late 2019, the visual streaming industry is being fragmented with different media ownership groups setting up their own for-pay monthly subscription streaming sites and apps, not allowing Netflix to show their content. How many monthly subscriptions will millions of individuals and households decide to purchase? What is the limit? How many of these visual streaming sites will fail?

Whatever happens may be duplicated with music streaming. Or maybe it won’t. No one really knows until it happens.

For example, I have monthly subscriptions to Netflix, HBO and Amazon+. I am trying out the free one month trial of the Disney streaming site. I don’t think I will subscribe. I will forego whatever pleasures Disney may offer. I wonder how many other people will hit a wall and refuse to subscribe to any more services.

If this happens on a wide scale, will people just not watch some of the good content out there and be all right with that, or will the visual streaming industry consolidate back again after some years of several sites not doing well? It all remains to be seen. Anything is possible.

We live in an age of rapid change in how technology and big business intersect to bring us our entertainment and how it is charged for.
    Anyone who says that they know how this will come out may be presenting an agenda as no one really knows.

I don’t discount the possibility that some people stating opinions on the future of streaming, either visuals or music, could have an economic stake in how either industry turns out. Like an executive in the early 1980s solemnly pondering the state of home video and strongly opining that Betamax will dominate the future for sure.

19. schnitzerphilip

It’s not going to happen. Don’t even discuss it. Not worth your time.

20. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

"I have the world's largest seashell collection. I keep it on permanent display at beaches all over the world." - Steven Wright

samskeyti and Rocky's Owner like this.
  21. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

What's the difference between owning digital files and owning a piece of plastic with pits?

Lemon Curry likes this.
  22. schnitzerphilip

Apparently, there is an imaginary doomsday where "files" all disappear. I could say the same thing about degrading aluminum and discontinued laser assemblies.

23. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Not much, but that's not the question.

Streaming is not owning a digital file. It's playing a digital file stored on someone else's server/computer.

If we're going to count streaming as part of my collection, then my collection is about 30 million songs.

jmrife and HfxBob like this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Mastering in most cases.
    Mixes/versions that may not be available in file form, or if they are have been massacred by today's modern mastering practices.

25. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

Great question! Something I never thought about. The answer for me is no. In my case, Digital library is for background music & physical media is for "listening"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.