Do you count non physical product that are in your streaming library as part of "your collection"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

aravel likes this.
  2. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

4. deekmon

deekmon Amateur Audio Consumer

No

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  5. schnitzerphilip

Yes
    Yes
    Yes

deekmon likes this.
  6. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Not sure if this is you in the video below. Lots of car noise but you may still be able to hear the streaming:

7. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

No.

8. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

No.

Well, actually i don't use a streaming service. But all the music i downloaded and is only stored on my pc / external harddrive i don't count as part of my collection. When i put it on a cdr / dvdr with proper cover art then i do count it as part of my collection but list it as cdr /dvdr in stead of cd / dvd / lp.

9. iloveguitars

iloveguitars Forum Resident

No no no no no no

10. schnitzerphilip

Yes yes yes yes yes yes.

A "library" is a library. Doesn't matter if it's a piece of 40 year old plastic or a modern stream. When you want to hear Bat Out Of Hell on demand, you can. They're both the same.

11. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Still, fighting the good fight Philip?

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  12. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air

I own over 400,000 books. My local library houses them for me, but I own them.

jay.dee, enfield and starduster like this.
  13. Exotiki

I'm so proud of you helping out your local library: They are important to the community and are invaluable to the distribution of knowledge and reference tools
    :righton:

14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I guess I’m starting to move past the idea of “a collection.”

What am I collecting for? There is no one who will want my collection of LPs and CDs after I’m gone. It’s passé, and my musical preferences are highly individualized to me and me alone.

Right now, there is just “the music I love.” How I access that music is almost beside the point. 30 or even 20 years ago, I shared “my collection” with others. That sort of thing doesn’t happen now. I tell people to go check out a specific thing on YouTube or on Spotify. There is no more trading. “Ownership” of music has no value or meaning any more.

chervokas likes this.
  15. Rocky's Owner

I like how you state your opinions as if they were facts.

16. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Sorry, did not mean to come across that way. Obviously everything I write is my own opinion and based on my own personal experience. I have always despised it when people present their opinions as fact, and have always tried very hard not to do so myself. I’m not sure why I am suddenly doing it now myself.

It’s probably best for me to bow out of this discussion now. It took a very long time for me to arrive at my opinion, which happened rather suddenly. Maybe you will experience the same sudden revelation yourself some day.

Exotiki likes this.
  17. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Hmm, doesn't look as though there's much love for your library Philip judging from the responses upthread. If you haven't already, add the mighty Zepp along with Jimi and you might get a few more likes.

What I can say is from here onwards given my recent experience with WMG concerning faulty Blue-ray discs in the Pink Floyd Immersion box sets, I will only buy music which is not available to stream apart from the odd exceptions such as the forthcoming Cream's Goodbye Tour box.

18. schnitzerphilip

Right on, preach it, Sister Brownie. There is no point in "a collection" anymore, and hey, most of us have physical collections whose core is 30-50 years old anyway, those collections are done, they're over, it's not like we're going to covet the new Styx release, it's not like Tears For Fears is still relevant.

Streaming is a different way an audiophile can experience their collection, augmented by new recommendations that they wind up really liking. It's just amazing. It's why so many audiophiles have parked their old vintage setups in the garage and not looked back. Marantz and Pioneer had their day in the 80's, it's a new world now.

brownie61 likes this.
  19. Rocky's Owner

I'm an audiophile but I only listen to wax-cylinder recordings. But I'm still an audiophile. As an audiophile, sound quality doesn't matter to me.

20. schnitzerphilip

I own every Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin album ever made. I have a collection with 45,000,000 songs, the biggest on SHF.

21. Rocky's Owner

[​IMG]

This guy was a cool audiophile. He was into Huey Lewis, Phil Collins, and other audiophile stuff. But check out that equipment too. Definitely audiophile.

22. schnitzerphilip

audiophile
    noun
    /ˈɑː.di.oʊ.faɪl/

A person who is very interested in and enthusiastic about equipment for playing recorded sound, and its quality.

HomePod
    noun
    /hom.p.ah.d/

An audiophile-level wi-fi smart speaker designed for audiophiles interested in reproducing their streaming collections.

23. Exotiki

Definitely not: look at those unbalanced EQ sliders

24. Rocky's Owner

[​IMG]

A discerning audiophile knows which system his Huey Lewis music sounds best on.

25. Exotiki

Philp, I love ya like a brother but come on

(HomePod. A Siri virtual assistant and wireless speaker from Apple. ... HomePod is also a hub for controlling lights and accessories in the automated home. See smart speaker, virtual assistant and smart home.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.