Do you count non physical product that are in your streaming library as part of "your collection"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

No.

2. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I can hold my hard drive, so yes of course, I can't get my head round the idea, that music I've chosen, placed on my hard drive and there's only myself who has access to it, isn't part of my music collection.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  3. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

Yeah exactly, it is.
    and only music snobbery would tell you it isn't.

4. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Quality not quantity. I'm not into renting. When I'm sat in my third floor flat watching the apocalypse from the balcony I'll be spinning LP's from my turntable without wondering where my 50 million tunes went when the phone lines went down. :cool:

It's why I read actual books too. Just the latest way of parting someone from their cash to buy / rent something they've already bought once, or twice.

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  5. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

if the phone lines are gone, then so would the electricity have gone.

6. KAJ1971

It's a business. They aren't going to say that they don't.

7. KAJ1971

Generator. Same as when the power gets hit during cyclones.

8. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

What are you, a peacenik? Pick a side now and fight till your dying breath. That's the only way.

:D
    [​IMG]

9. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

I don’t think of streaming as owning. It’s not part of my collection. It’s renting. That said, I stream more music than listen to music I’ve bought, due to always having my phone with me.

I prefer listening to CDs or to some vinyl, which I do regard as owning because I own it.

But streaming is basically inescapable now due to its convenience. Often, I don’t think it sounds as good, for various reasons. But then I go home and play the music I own. :righton:

MungoMusic and Rocky's Owner like this.
  10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

No. Streamed stuff is like taping a song off the radio or taping a movie off the TV or taking a photograph of a painting in an art gallery.

11. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air

Of course it's not. You are renting air and don't own anything.

12. Rocky's Owner

I think many of the renters/streamers on this forum who constantly argue for the value of renting/streaming are trying to convince themselves, most of all, of how great streaming is, because they know that it can never take the place of a physical collection.

13. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

If I have bought and downloaded an album I regard it as being in my collection every bit as much as if I had bought it on CD. Albums that I have only streamed / downloaded as part of my Apple Music subscription will disappear if I cancel the subscription or if Apple feel like making them disappear, so no, they're not mine IMHO. I still work on the basis that if I like an album I should buy it on either CD or as a download, so there aren't really any albums I only stream as if I like it enough to listen multiple times I go and buy it.

14. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

That is what streaming is to me expressed far more clearly than I could manage.

15. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Not so at all with me.

16. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure if I subscribed to Spotify, I would use it for guilty pleasure pop songs I'd never have in my physical media collection.

On vinyl, I'd spin the Who and the Beatles. But I would probably stream the hell out of Sia's "Chandelier."

Daven23 and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  17. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I go by Discogs' standards. Digital releases that are purchased are considered "owned." Streaming isn't considered anything.

18. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Anything I paid money for is part of my collection

19. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

This is where I fall as well. My digital collection is far more expansive than my physical collection and to me they’re equally part of my overall music collection. Anything from a streaming service is there for convenience and not part of the collection.

20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

No. If it's not a circular object that spins, it doesn't exist. :cheers:

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

You betcha! I've also bought a few things from iTunes, and change the parameters in the info section, just in case something where to happen to them. Not to mention, saved on my 2 hard drives too...

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I don’t know how many times this needs to be said, it adds to your physical collection and doesn’t replace it.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  23. Rocky's Owner

Adds what? There is nothing there. You're renting air. If you go and buy more CDs or Vinyl after hearing things when renting/streaming, then I guess it could add to your collection.

24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I will not converse with you if you’re going to use the ridiculous “renting air” argument. Good day.

25. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I have 3.24 TB's of music on a Synology NAS that is absolutely part of my collection. Most of my CDs are ripped to it plus a lot of other music I've acquired. I don't care that I can't physically hold the files in every meaningful way they are mine. I stream both Tidal and Qobuz but I don't consider anything from them part of my library, though I've downloaded stuff on Tidal to my phone to listen to on plane rides and other places I have no wifi when traveling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.