Do You Ever Get The Feeling That Your Musical Perspective Is Not Representative On This Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7 Thread Starter

I am in total agreement; it's just... some days... It's a personal thing I guess; but I do whole heartedly agree... and too once in a while in my case dust off the old Zep LPs.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  2. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7 Thread Starter

Yeah I know; I'm working on it. *Not my worst habit. Not by a long shot. I guess I do need a semi-colonoscopy. Anyone know if GHI will cover it?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Comet01, goodiesguy, Tuco and 5 others like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't see the problem. There's a damn lot of people who like the typical "classic rock" bands, therefore a music forum is going to have a lot of people who like those bands. If your taste is divergent, well, you can start threads too. There's no guarantee that they're going to go to 30 pages, but there's no guarantee of that anyway.

The thing is, the value of a message board is at the intersection of the subject being discussed and the individuals who participate. If you find that neither the subjects being discussed or the people you are discussing them with hold any interest for you, then you're probably at the wrong forum. In my many years here, I've ended up having very lively conversations about things that I never would have brought up for my own sake. I've learned a lot about artists that I didn't really have any interest in before as well.

And I don't even know what it would be like to listen to a band "ironically."

4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I get the impression that a large proportion of the members here are stuck in a time warp. I find that depressing. Just because I think that the period from about 1966 to 1975 was the most interesting and creative period ever in the history of popular music does not mean I cannot be open to discovering music from much later periods. Whenever I have discovered something new that I thought was worth sharing, I have found that it gets little or no response onthis forum, so I have basically given up being pro-active in that way.

5. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Yes. Nobody goes on and on about what a musical genius I am. So obviously that's troubling.

6. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I've lost interest in most of the Giants of Classic Rock™ who get most of the attention on this forum. A lot of that stuff sounds overproduced and slick to me. Give me some gritty old blues or obscure pre-psychedelic rock 'n' roll you'll never hear on oldies radio.

rod, bigstar87, Lonecat and 1 other person like this.
  7. drumandguitar

drumandguitar Forum Resident

Not really. The endless Beatles/McCartney threads are over the top. How anyone can discuss Egypt Station for over however many hundred pages is unbelievable to me. Mediocrity in the extreme. And I am quite a big Beatles fan. However, there are also lots of other good discussions on here, for all types of music that I am in to. I enjoy the forum.

8. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

This is so very true...a time warp.

I'll sometimes sit here amazed that some second tier 60s band will get more love than anything I post that is relatively new. For many the fact that something was released in 2016 makes it automatically inferior to, I don't know, The Groundhogs...LOL

9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I always get that feeling, but frankly I wouldn't have it any other way. Nothing worse than being part of a hive mind, real or perceived. I am happy to stand up and say something against the grain, here or anywhere else. I've always been like that.

10. jc1303

jc1303 Forum Resident

Maybe.

For example, I cant stand the Beatles & I really dont get the Grateful Dead but I still find enough interesting stuff on here and enjoy the banter that goes with it.
    Ive been on forums where everyone likes the same music and on forums for a specific band but they've never held my interest like this forum does, even when a lot of whats being discussed is not to my interest.

Jarleboy, TheLastVoice, rod and 2 others like this.
  11. Zack

Zack Senior Member

So you are suggesting that the rest of us should "grow out" of the musical touchstones of our lives just like you did? Not to be too ironic, but sorry the rest of us are not as cool as you. Stay on the floor then.

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I get this feeling all the time. Much of what people get excited about is nowhere on my radar. Many of the bands lauded on here aren't in my collection - by choice. It's okay though, it's a community thing. There are some interesting folks and opinions around here, so even if they're talking about music I don't care about, they can be a good read.

Oh, and having written that, this forum costs me a LOT of money. :D

Special mention to the folks in the Currently Playing Avant Garde thread. :cheers:

13. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I don't listen to:

The Beatles
    The Who
    Led Zeppelin
    Bowie
    Queen
    The Doors
    Jefferson Airplane

So that leaves about 6 threads for me to participate in...:laugh:

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I thought I would grow out of the music touchstones of my youth but I'm awfully glad that I did not.

15. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I'm not suggesting anything, just relaying my own experience. Feel free to continue to listen to whatever you like.

16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm sure that I never run into the majority of members here because I'm not in their threads. For me the forum is about contextual associations ... for example I often find that I chime with @Plan9 about Prog, @Archtop about the Grateful Dead and @Chris DeVoe about art pop from the 1980s. In a forum that's divided into threads, there's no need for anyone to be consistently matching one's taste or outlook: I differ with @Parachute Woman about the Stones but am enjoying her Joni Mitchell threads.

It really wouldn't do me any good if the forum suddenly shifted to be heavily into the music I'm keen on: I don't need thirty threads on John Zorn, and there's always the chance of tripping over really useful information from people who have different viewpoints. @Bob F is a great resource on Sinatra and a lot of people have helped with my Dylan thread ... I really don't need people to know what I know or think what I think.

17. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Perhaps some in their 50s and 60s who listen to Doors or Zeppelin aren't still listening to them, but rather again listening to them, or even just now really starting to listen. I'm just hazarding a guess here with those two, as I no longer listen to either band ~ I was an avid fan in the 70s ~ though there are other artists that I loved then and still do. I'm not sure I understand why any band or artist should be or not be listened to for any reason other than preference. I myself have long been a rogue when it comes to music, that is, whatever the vast majority are into at any given moment in time is usually not what I am currently into. That said I don't think there is any longer such a thing as "mainstream" - at least not for middle aged adults. There's just too much music out there now compared with 40-50 years ago.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I think it helps that my musical tastes have never been quite well matched with those of my contemporaries, right from when I was a pre-teen. I got used to the fact that some of my favourite artists might have had chart hits but were not considered "cool" for one reason or another. Hence I am quite comfortable being on this forum, despite the fact that my eyes glaze over when I see yet another thread about let's-not-mention-names. It's enough for me that there is a goodly number of threads that I do find interesting and worth my time, for example the album by album Joni Mitchell thread.

Jarleboy and Parachute Woman like this.
  19. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

There was a period of about 20 years where I shunned the music of my youth. The thought of listening to Zeppelin, The Who, or The Doors was laughable to me. I moved on. That old stuff was boring. I don't remember why or how, but I ended up revisiting the old stuff and discovering it was actually still damn good. Still entertaining. Still moving.

I don't think my time was wasted, however. That break afforded me perspective. We all go on a musical journey. There are no right or wrong answers.

20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Yes and no. I enjoy talking about old favorites like Zeppelin or Van Halen or whatever, so I don't mind the concentration on topics like that. But I do also find that a lot of music I'm interested in isn't talked about much here, or if it is I don't see it because the thread gets buried.

For example, my favorite album of the last couple of years is Jessica Lea Mayfield's Sorry is Gone. I just did a search and it turns out someone did start a thread on it but the thread died after one post. If I had seen that thread earlier I would have posted in it, but I didn't and I'm not really a big one for starting threads myself so...

I'm sure that same sort of thing happens for a lot of people. You take a look at the front page and see the regular stuff, and the thing you might be interested in is buried three pages back so you don't see it, or you think why bother bringing something up when no one's gonna care anyway. So it's a self-perpetuating thing.

21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

My family and friends always had different perspectives than me even if it was music we may have all really liked together.It`s like we`re all falling in and out of love at different times.I`m always in some kind of cycle of becoming burnt out on some music then getting back into it sometimes years later.I don`t think anybody needs to see things alike just to have fun.I could be into music a guy at works plays then go on nothing but Slayer or jazz for the next week.

Efus likes this.
  22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Apparently there are some ignorant people who think that I only listen to new music and EDM. Anyone that's been paying attention to my posts and have any knowledge about electronic music must realize that I have probably never once mentioned artists who fall under this umbrella. Can you really not tell the difference between Michael Hoenig or Lustmord and Tiesto?

23. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Plenty of people on this forum share most or at least some of my tastes. By now I recognize them and know who they are. And that's a bonus as they often suggest other bands I might like, as I do for them.
    When I post a discussion topic most of the responders are respectful even if they don't care for my musical choices. There's always going to be a few who decide to be argumentative or just plain jerks. That's why the ignore option is available.
    Normally I pass by the posts which don't interest me, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is - unless you wind up passing by page after page after page...

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I fully agree with this. Every artist has a completely equal chance to be brought up, appreciated, and discussed here. That's the great thing about this forum. Not a drawback.

The reason a million Beatles threads thrive is because posters love discussing the Beatles! Nothing more, nothing less. Anyone is free to post any other topic on any other artist under the sun. But if it doesn't draw the same attention, it is not the fault of the Beatles or those who appreciate the Beatles. A thread is only as valid as those who are interested in it. If more (here) were interested in newer artists or diverse bands, then those threads would occupy all the space.

And I speak from experience. I've posted several threads and polls and many were not "very popular/populated". I accept that. It's no big deal. I just move on and now and then will post another. Some draw fair interest and others not much at all. I certainly don't spend my time staying up at night wondering why so many love the Beatles and why those threads are "eating up" all my silly album poll submissions. It's obvious why. Those threads are simply more popular! :D

Jarleboy, Zeki and dkmonroe like this.
  25. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Yeah, i like very much that 50s cool jazz like Lester young, Gerry mulligan and 60s brazilian bossa, but jazz people usually preffer the noisy thing, like late Coltrane, Ornette coleman.. i like them too, but im much more into beautful music, and most of people seems dont.

Mechanical Man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.