Do you find your system mesmerizing?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Dec 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I find that when listening to music I really like I can literally be mesmerized by the experience. I can be totally encompassed by the music and it makes me thankful for the system(s) I have. This is more often than not at least a daily experience. How about you.

2. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Yes, one of them.

BruceS, nicholas029 and Khorn like this.
  3. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

This is the case for me as well. I think it's the goal of HiFi. I judge a recording's quality on its ability to distract me from my smartphone, not the other way around.

4. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

I’m near the end of the hifi journey, I think. It’s almost there. I find my system most satisfying and enjoyable. Mildly mesmerizing to.

5. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Depends on the day and my mood.

I find the music mesmerizing.
    The system helps.

6. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Yes. I like that you expressed gratitude for your system.
    It seems like we cannot be truly happy in life without having a deep sense of gratitude for all the good things we can easily take fir granted.

addicted2, yodog, Jim Hodgson and 9 others like this.
  7. Khorn

It can bring so much joy and emotion into my life.

arcamsono, Fruff76 and doctor fuse like this.
  8. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

The hairs on my arms stand up

Tajo1960, Kyhl, yodog and 4 others like this.
  9. Whay

Whay Forum Resident

I listened to this Dark Side Of The Moon master reel i found about the internet ages ago, whole album went by 20 seconds

10. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Yeah. It really depends on the recording, but there are many within my collection that truly engage me in a way that can only be appreciated on a good system.

Khorn likes this.
  11. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Me too, and I get tingles down my back during those moments of listening ecstasy. It's what I strive for in this hobby.

Kyhl, yodog and Khorn like this.
  12. Khorn

Yes I guess if the music transports you, you must have a real good transport.
    Bad joke I guess.

Kyhl and Doctor Fine like this.
  13. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I find music mesmerizing. My system helps but doesn't do much on it's own. Except maybe watching my turntable platter spin.

bhazen and Khorn like this.
  14. Khorn

Under certain circumstances a spinning table can definitely be mesmerizing. Enjoy!

Clonesteak likes this.
  15. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Yes, it can and does happen to/for me. Less so since the pandemic started, but still, it happens most times I listen, especially to a performance that is remarkable.

(Love that Billy Strings!)

muletrane, 30 ounce and Khorn like this.
  16. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I find my audio system to be the same as Paris Hilton: mesmerizing, fascinating, intoxicating.

Khorn likes this.
  17. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

Yes, in fact just last night I found myself quite mesmerized. Good time to be an audiophile/music lover.

Khorn and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yes pretty much daily (except for right now when my main TT is in the repair shop after I completely botched a cartridge replacement).

c-eling and Khorn like this.
  19. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

Mine can bring me to tears with a great recording. Chris Cornell Songbook anyone?

Khorn likes this.
  20. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

With some albums, absolutely.

Khorn likes this.
  21. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

There are times I just sit in awe of the sound coming out of my speakers. The first time this occurred was about 3 months ago, after upgrading my cartridge to an AT-33SA.
    I just hit on some sort of component matching magic with this cart. I know I have an extremely modest system compared to most...but it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

hifisoup, mike catucci, Tlay and 6 others like this.
  22. Khorn

Hope it sounds even better when you get it back.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  23. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

That's the one!

Also for me a cold shiver!

Khorn likes this.
  24. Khorn

Wow it’s amazing what the right upgrade can do.

PooreBoy likes this.
  25. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I would not say mesmerizing but it does make studio recordings sound more live, and my concert masters (Schoeps CMXY-4V stereo mic, an X-Y coincident mic that produces stereo sound due to differences in amplitude of the sound waves hitting the capsules, not differences in time of arrival as is the case for spread mics/capsules) bring back the experience very well, like I am in the venue. While there is a "precise sweetest spot", the listening room (16x26 and open to kitchen in back and on one side) sounds darn good everywhere. They are 4.5' in from front wall, 38" in from sides and very slightly toed in. Ive got the center of my couch in the sweet spot and most of the time I sit on one side or the other of the couch about 3' to either side. I do not lose sleep over it and it sounds awesome. I would best describe my systems sound as a nice combo of "huge soundstage", "wall of sound sound", and "natural". Carver Amazing Silver MK4 with a dipole 48" ribbon playing 20Hz-20 kHz according to the manual (though they are flat to just 23Hz) and 3 open baffle 12s that play 100 Hz and lower. Soon I will hook up my Carver C9 sonic holographer and play around with the soundstage. Should be interesting with those masters. Due to their x-y coincident configuration, they are kind of like the "best reference" (especially since I was at the shows) to see how the sonic holography circuitry widens and narrows the soundstage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.