Do you find your system mesmerizing?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Dec 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Thanks for the insightful post. As most here can attest music can deeply effects our lives. A good sound system can draw us into and give us more of a connection to what we’re listening to. Music is complex, involving and a true emotional experience. A really good system opens up a clearer window to the recording and a stronger connection to our soul. I think that’s a great benefit.

Lenny99 likes this.
  2. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

It's meditative for me. Some people visualize a candle flame as an aid to meditation and inner calm. I like to focus on the stylus tracking its way across the surface of the record and concentrate solely on the music. Even though I understand how it works, it's still miraculous to me that a tiny industrial grade diamond shaking back and forth in a groove in a piece of plastic can sound as good as it does.

goer, gmcjj, alarickc and 1 other person like this.
  3. dial

dial Well-Known Member

No. It's rather clinical.

Fruff76 and Khorn like this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Update: still yes, moreso in fact!

Khorn and jonwoody like this.
  5. Khorn

I massively upgraded my system since the my last post in this thread. It’s now reached a much higher level of performance and it can hold me in an extremely vice like grip of musical involvement.
    I guess it’s partly due more to the increased “resolving power” of the sound presentation. It’s so well worth it.

6. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Yes. There are times when the music, and lyrics come together and say something that’s important. Something that transcends music. There are certain places on certain albums that if everything is right I’ll get cold chills. It’s a powerful experience. And My present system is able to provide that touch.

7. Lenny99

lol.

It’s a great album.

Khorn likes this.
  8. Lenny99

“Quadraphenia” is an album that can bring me to that point. Also “I Robot”

addicted2, Khorn and Echoes Myron like this.
  9. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

My best answer: occasionally but not always.

rodentdog, addicted2 and Khorn like this.
  10. AL01

AL01 Eh?

Not really, but that's because my floorstanders are too big for the current space they are in.

They really need a room to breathe in to produce the big 'ole soundstage they are capable of.

Khorn likes this.
  11. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Instead of mesmerizing can it be intoxicating? Sometimes I close my eyes and sometimes I watch as the music unfolds in front and around me. I find it intoxicating to become transported there in space and time.

And that's without smoking anything.

AL01, timind, Khorn and 3 others like this.
  12. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

If you ever find the One Night in Paris video, I think your life will be entirely and completely complete. (Cooking With Paris on Netflix is pretty good too.)

*sliving*

timind and Khorn like this.
  13. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Often, I do find it mesmerizing, especially with the lights off.

Khorn likes this.
  14. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Forum Resident

This, it’s definitely dependent on how I’m feeling. It can’t possibly mesmerise every time you listen, no matter how good the system.

csgreene and Khorn like this.
  15. Ted Torres Jr

Ted Torres Jr Synergistic Maximus

KH,

"Sounds" like I'm in the same boat, so to speak! Upgratis in speakers, cabling and component arrangement this year has transformed my music room into a consistent live venue of aural bliss! To date, I've returned a nice DAC and a Power Regenerator, as neither were able to improve or even match the sonic attributes I've reached in Resolution and Soundstage Holographic Presentation Realism!!! :righton:

Ted

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

As some of you know, I recently bought a new system for stereo playback. I didn't spend fortunes, but enough to do quite well. I have things setup now, and I'm in the sweetspot. At times it's jaw-dropping. Other times, not so much. Which is another way of saying, there's a point where the real decider isn't your system, but the source. Well mastered CD's that were beautifully produced and recorded, sound amazing. Poorly mastered or recorded not so much. I don't think it's possible to have a system where everything sounds great. Instead, you get to a point when it's truly them, and not you.

Mike-48, Khorn and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

Nice !
    What were your upgrades to achieve „Über“mesmerizing?

18. Khorn

Basically a whole new system except for the speakers that I’ve used for over 40 years now. That includes a new SS power amp, tube preamp various stands and all new interconnects and speaker cables and Dac/streamer. It’s listed in my profile.

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I return to this thread because of an experience I just had.

One the strangest albums is Bob Dylan's Desire. To my ears, some albums are simply more sensitive to systems than others. I mean, kiss usually sounds like Kiss, even if you play it on a cereal box. But when it comes to Desire, it can sound like absolute mud on low end systems (I make the sweeping statement based on my own experience of doing so, YMMV). On the lower end things feel messy, straggly, a bit wild.

But playing it on my current system it's like a totally new mix. It's not messy at all. Piano to the left, Dylan center, Violin on the right. The vocals separated. Not overwhelming, just full. Fine details can be heard in the background too, such as some humming on Mozambique and the double-tracked vocals. I'm playing the 2013 SACD layer. It's really nice. I'd put this album up as one to use when testing a system, because it really can overwhelm some in my experience.

addicted2 likes this.
  20. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

Getting a lot closer after tweaking my speaker placement. just enjoying the music

M.R.Collins likes this.
  21. izeek

izeek Drums, pulleeez!

while my gear is underwhelming, i am mesmerized with what i do have.
    i find listen every day i can enjoying.

Khorn likes this.
  22. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

It might not be everyday. But I can absolutely be mesmerized by it. That I can listen and look at system, sound ,music and be thrilled, happy,etc. It can all be amazing.
    Considering it was all bought used and all is working as it should only makes me more extremely happy.

izeek and Khorn like this.
  23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Ideally, it should be the music and not the system that "mesmerizes". Any half decent system is capable of transporting one to their happy place if the music is right. Hell, I was mesmerized by the first stereo I owned at 13-14. It was a POS Zenith or GE suitcase stylue stereo with two stereo speakers in the lid. Talk about near field listening! But I was mesmerized by the music itself.

Most of my daily listening is upstairs in the living room where I mostly stream through an iPad into the DAC of my Marantz CD into my Marantz PM8004 integrated and out through a pair of NHT SuperOne 2 speakers. I sit adjacent to the system so no imaging or soundstage to speak of. I'm usually streaming a Pandora genre station (like the Bebop station I'm listening to right now) and I find myself tapping my foot, nodding my head in time to the beat and hearing the music even though I'm typing something or reading something.

M.R.Collins and Glmoneydawg like this.
  24. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Well said!!I don't think I've ever been disappointed hearing good music(and yes i have owned little radios ect over my 61 years)...i will definately change music i don't like no matter how good the reproduction is.Its got to be about the music :)

csgreene likes this.
  25. Khorn

Of course we should be mesmerized buy the music we like. In my case I can be more deeply involved and even more mesmerized when I can hear more clearly into the music.
    But, in my case the better the system the more that goal is achieved. It works that way for me but maybe I’m unique in that respect.

Why bother with a sound system at all if you can a be fully satisfied with transistor radio? It wouldn’t work for me but it seems to be the best way to go if that could satisfy you and you sure will save a huge amount of money.

I’ve got my GE SuperRadio waiting in the background just in case. :D

Ted Torres Jr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.