Do you find your system mesmerizing?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Dec 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I guess my point is one doesn't need a high end system to be into the music in a "mesmerizing" way if one is into the music itself. Modest systems are very capable of delivering that experience. I know that first hand. Are better systems better? Of course. But they aren't required for a person who's into music first and gear second. Too many so-called audiophiles are into the gear more than the music in spite of the occasional vehement protest to the contrary.
    [​IMG]

Khorn, Spokeless and Robsonschoice like this.
  2. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

Interesting subject....whilst I don't own an 'expensive' system, its been put together using 2nd hand or ex demo bargains, but sometimes instead of sitting in the 'sweet spot' I am a room away on my PC working and I have to get up and go into the room where the music is playing as it just so hits that spot....Not always and that depends what it is but it still has that goosebump sound to it.

Khorn likes this.
  3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I’ve loved music from the time I was a young child. I’ve loved it both live and on things like a transistor radio. Sure a very competent system doesn’t have to cost a fortune to be able to fully involve you in music.
    To me the better the system the more I am able to hear and therefore relate to the music. Am I committing a crime by believing and following up on that? I don’t in any way have what would could be classed as a “high end system” it’s probably more average than not. I also believe that a high end system is unnecessary for true enjoyment of music but it’s great for those that can afford and have invested in them.

4. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

The most engrossing systems make the eyes swirl around like this..

[​IMG]

Kyhl, Khorn and Glmoneydawg like this.
  5. Khorn

Lots of things make my eyes swirl around like that!

Otlset and SteveFord like this.
  6. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

This….and it probably partly depends on the recording/mastering for me.

Khorn likes this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I agree 100% There are people on this forum who spent more money on a single speaker - not a pair - than I did on my entire setup. I totally get where you're coming from.

I think of higher end hi-fi as being about getting more from the things you've got. Earlier I mentioned Bob Dylan's Desire album, a title I've played many times. You can enjoy it on anything. However, if you want the noise to quiten a bit, and for the band and their contributions to be obvious, you do need a higher resolving system. I think it's just the way it was mixed. I'd sway away from using the terms "better or worse", and substitute "different" in its place. A higher end system is definitely a different experience.

But we must never leave out by far the most critical part of a system - ourselves. You can dance to cheap radio. You can dance to a higher end system. If dance is your focus, then it probably doesn't matter which.

Khorn likes this.
  8. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

My system sounds fine and sounding fine is fine enough for me.

I'm not an audiophile but I do enjoy honest, true to life, life-like sound, all specific equipment must be operating as designed, and all LPs and CDs must be M or M- only.

With that said ... ' life-like ' sound reproduction is the goal.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Ted Torres Jr, Khorn and Tone? like this.
  9. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Well now that’s fine.

lol

Lenny99 and Khorn like this.
  10. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Mighty fine! :)

Khorn likes this.
  11. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

I have multiple systems and enjoy them all for different reasons. They all can provide evolving emotional experience. Definitely agree with whomever mentioned recording or mastering of certain recordings can definitely influence this a lot.

rodentdog and Khorn like this.
  12. Khorn

At this point I’m extremely satisfied with the sound and musical involvement I get from my system. I can’t see myself desiring any more “improvement” in order to be involved or enjoy music any more than I do now.

It’s just that it’s taken me a long lime to get to this place and I’m really enjoying it. I feel there is absolutely no reason to continue on an upgrade path.

Like many of you I’m satisfied where I’m at now and, unless I move and require something like a speaker change, I guess I’ve reached my personal end game and I sure hope that I can really enjoy experiencing music at this level well into the future.

13. Khorn

Agreed. In the end it’s the recording that counts no doubt about it.

Pkcpga likes this.
  14. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

At times, depending on my mood.

Khorn likes this.
  15. Charles M

Charles M Forum Resident

I'm retired, and listen to music a good part of the day when I'm home. At times when I really sit down and just listen to my system, it never ceases to amaze me. But what I find even more mesmerizing is my wonderful music library!

16. addicted2

addicted2 Forum Resident

17. addicted2

addicted2 Forum Resident

agreed and its just a fantastic album also. I've made some significant tweaks this past month(one forced) and i haven't listened to that one since so it might be time to break desire out tonight thanks to you ;)

Khorn likes this.
  18. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

yeah, mighty great. ever since I got my Seas A26. its really due to the bass. I dont feel im missing much in bass detail compared to evrything prior.

Khorn likes this.
  19. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

When you get to a certain age a good bowel movement makes your eyes swirl like that. Not sure that's the bar to aim for...... ;)

doctor fuse, Otlset and Khorn like this.
  20. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

I know just what you mean, nothing like a good dump. :p

Khorn and M.R.Collins like this.
  21. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

Yes. I love my Reticular speakers from the 60s and my Technics SL2 turntable. I play funk and soul
    mostly, some rock and even dance. Sounds amazing. I don't live alone, so I wish I had a bigger space for the system than the office, however I get good sound out of the speakers.

Khorn likes this.
  22. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Im sure ur correct. What one considers high end another might consider marginal and on snd on. About a year ago while helping my grandson move we set up his modest stereo. It’s composed of a Fisher 200W amp 2 sets of speakers, small Polk Audios and small Sony’s 3 way, with a decent budget TT. Put on an album and for about 15 minutes all worked stopped. It sounds fine, and it had us mesmerized.

23. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

I think what is "ideal" in terms of what one is getting from one's system is going to be quite individual, as it should be. We all love music, but a forum like this naturally gathers people
    who get pleasure out of audio gear, and the sensuousness of sound itself. It doesn't matter if one person is mesmerized by the sound his system has achieved or another person is concentrating purely on music, or anything in between (and for lots of us, we swing between something like these focal points ourselves).

I guess that in a forum devoted to audiophile gear, saying "Ideally it should be just about the music" is like being on a sports car forum and saying "Ideally, we should be thinking of our destination, not the car that is getting us there." But of course for the enthusiast, it's not just about where you are headed, but how you are getting there, whether it's enjoying the hell out of the cool car you scrimped and saved for and thinking "my god this ride is fun" or enjoying the hell out of the sonic fireworks and added sensuousness of sound your system brings to
    music listening.

I was listening to a new album I bought recently and utterly besotted by the music. But I was at the same time blown away by what my system brought out of the music, and that for me ADDED to my enjoyment, vs the experience I would have had listening on just, say, my smart speaker in the kitchen.

24. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

Short answer. No.

Khorn likes this.
  25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

To the OP's question, the answer is "often".

Khorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.