Do You Get Scoffed At For Still Buying CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MYQ1, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

lately the places that sell used CDs I frequent are pushing CDs on me...push away i can haul them!

melstapler and MYQ1 like this.
  2. Michael

someday they will be gone when the ppl that like physical product are gone...they've been grooming the youngster for years to not want possessions...they travel light sometimes I get jealous but that would be a nitemare for me...

melstapler likes this.
  3. Michael

my wife never pays attention to my CD habit or movie collection as well...she's a dream.

klockwerk and melstapler like this.
  4. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I have never been scoffed at, because mostly I don't think most people really care enough to scoff in the first place lol

DPK and Jimmy B. like this.
  5. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not the Foghat I know & prefer but I knew that going in.
    Listening to Zig Zag Walk now it seems to be the most similar to their earlier albums.
    Thus far I don't care for the others too much.
    Too much 80s influence.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Fullbug likes this.
  6. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I don't remember ever getting scoffed at for buying CDs. IN fact the only time anyone scoffed at me in a music store it was
    for buying a MONKEES LP (I think it was Instant Replay, and that happened in a Specs Music Store when it was first released.
    The Scoffing was done by an employee, which sort of surprised me.

7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

So true. People with that revisionist mindset fail to understand the long-term repercussions of their so-called "simplified lives." When a digital file stored on a consumer's home computer or a provider's server for streaming purposes can be removed or deleted at the click of a button, history can also be simultaneously erased. Hopefully everyone will come to their senses and wake up before it's too late...

8. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I have gone back to buying CDs. As noted often they are cheaper than the Flac downloads. How weird is that ?

doppelganger and melstapler like this.
  9. Someone's still buying so I might as well be one them.

melstapler likes this.
  10. Michael

maybe it's already too late...it's ingrained.

melstapler likes this.
  11. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

To me, "In The Mood..." is the most similar to their 70's work. "Zig Zag Walk" seems like the band's career came full circle. Their 1st album was produced by Dave Edmunds and much of it reminds me of the work Dave Edmunds was doing in the 80's. Lots of 50's covers and a strong rockabilly influence.

I avoided these albums for years. The change in direction seemed too big for me at the time. I pivked up a cut-out cassette of "The Best Of Foghat Vol. 2" (on Rhino) in the late 90's and gradually started to come around to these albums. Now I really dig them. Sorry for the off topic detour.

MYQ1 likes this.
  12. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

So true. Well said!

melstapler likes this.
  13. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Buying CDs is so far down the list of things I get scoffed at for, that it doesn't even register.
    I might even enjoy a little aggressive CD scoffing as a welcomed change of pace.

14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

My local library had The Comlete on the Corner Sessions. I don't know who selected that title, but I was the only one to take it out.

Summerisle likes this.
  15. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

I know! You can burn a MP3 digital file from a CD, but you can't get that sound quality up/sampling from an MP3...the dark ages of music.

My future Son-In-Law mentioned the last time he was over how, after me playing him Hi/Res PONO, vinyl and discs for a few years now, confessed that "now I play my downloads and streams all the way through, I don't do shuffle as much anymore – I'm getting the album thing. It's a better way to listen". He's 29, small victories. Still, when we go over to their new house, I generally have to request some tunes as the silence is deafening after an hour or more. Then they play their small red Beats© sound pod that's about 5 inches long from a playlist. I don't get it.

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I keep a couple thousand tracks stored locally on my iPhone at all times. AFAIK every streaming service allows this. It obviously requires a bit of forethought, but really it was just taking 5-10 minutes when I last upgraded my device, scrolling through my library, and downloading a few dozen LP's I like to listen to in the car. Every week on release day, I add any new releases by artists I follow to my saved Apple library and DL them to my phone. (since I mostly use my phone for music in the car and on the go, I try to use that time to listen to new-ish releases, rather than old favorites)

Just saying, in the amount of time it'd take me to pick out a handful of CD's for a long drive or road trip (seriously, this used to take me at least a half hour...how would I know what kind of music mood I'd be in four hours from now?? :laugh:), I could download hundreds of tracks to a device.

17. walrus

If you don't actually use them for listening, then it's just clutter? 1's and 0's are still 1's and 0's, whether it's a disc or a stream. I'd rather people be listening to a Spotify stream on a Sonos or via a Roku app through their home theater than a CD through an old crappy portable stereo or cheap earbuds. The listening device matters a lot more than the format.

Chooke likes this.
  18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It might be true if they were the same mastering, but often they are not.

19. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I remember buying records in the late 90's and early 2000's and cd buying is starting to feel like that

Scoffing comment--"your buying that?" This was the clerk's response to a Doris Day Bear Family purchase.

As down as CDs are the internet has supported the rise in $25+ OOP CD prices seen in used stores which generates the most scoffing should one actually pay that much for a lowly cd.

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I was in a store last summer and I swear they were using discogs or something to price items (it's the only reason an used Steve Miller Band CD could cost £12).

21. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I don't accept that vinyl sounds better than CDs. The argument - if there IS an argument, which I would dispute - is far more nuanced than that.

Vinyl was always an inadequate medium for certain categories of music - and even in rock music (from which it derives most of its current popularity)the compromises that had to be made to running order, etc. made it less than ideal.

There is also the issue of maintenance/storage. Records are meant to be practical items to enable you to hear music - they shouldn't have to be treated like Dresden shepherdesses/rare tropical flowers.

I am a vinyl sceptic. CDs rule, afaic!

DME1061, anthontherun, DPK and 4 others like this.
  22. walrus

For anything released in the last 20 years, they probably are. The number of people who care about this is very, very, very small.

23. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Funny thing happened last weekend. I was shopping in a big shopping center I had not visited for many months. The big electronics and media chain store there had over the years reduced their shelf space for CDs and expanded for vinyl, but overall shelves for physical media had shrunk over the years. And they sold off CDs cheap in those bins. Last weekend it seemed like the tide had turned somewhat. Not only were the shelves stacked tightly with new releases like in the old days, they had a nice new shelf for their sell-off CDs, and each of those CDs had a sticker "Lost&Found". "Lost and Found, rare music again available for a limited time" it said on the shelves. Ok, maybe it was an illusion because it looked so nice, and of course they still sell them off cheaply to get rid off them, but the vibe was like 20 years ago.

24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Sounds like my local entertainment store when they added new CDs to go alongside the used ones. The problem is that the used CDs aren't really selling (they are common titles), so they only sporadically add new used stock.

25. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Perfect sound forever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.