Do You Get Scoffed At For Still Buying CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MYQ1, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I had been on a strict diet of vinyl for the past 4-5 years. I dragged my old Yamaha cd player out of the closet a month ago and hooked it up to my main rig. Um, wow, I loved it! I just bought a vintage Denon and another Yamaha for each one of my rigs. I don't think it's a case one being better, I think they just offer a different experience and with as much as I enjoy listening to music that versatility is invaluable to me. For example is listening to Sabbath or the Stones on vinyl an experience? You're d*mn right it is but so is Radiohead and Soundgarden on cd. Yeah I'll get a good dac eventually but for now I can enjoy ALL the media I have and it's great.

2. Bluebair

Bluebair Well-Known Member

I enjoy supporting my artists and audiophile labels

And there is something to be said about a physical representation of the music you have. Even if you just burn it and listen to the files.

3. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

4. I seem to be buying more and more cds these days. I spent the weekend buying and listening to cds. I finished the with a Vinyl copy of Captain Fantastic. Both mediums do for me but i do like the tiny prices i am paying for second hand cds on flea bay. Bought ten on Saturday for a total of less than 30pounds. The price of one LP!

LilacTeardrop, Man at C&A and Erik B. like this.
  5. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Of course not.

6. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

I know: there are so many aspects of this that are troubling to us 'music lovers' in my post. It's just not the same anymore; there's been a degradation at almost every level of appreciation. As mentioned, "a small victory". And not that there's "so little conversation going on" but that when I grew up having music playing was a prerequisite to social gatherings and at their age, music should be an audible passion of vitality. Everything is just so commodified and corporatized now...

Panama Hotel likes this.
  7. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

8. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

People ask me "who still buys CDs?"

My answer: "I do."

Though I am a vinyl guy as my analog rig is better than my CD setup.

Former Lee Warmer and Man at C&A like this.
  9. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

CDs are super cheap these days. On a recent trip to SF, I picked up about 20, mostly from the buy 3 get 1 section at Amoeba... and the sticker prices were all $1-2. The border guard at customs almost didn’t believe me when I declared them.

SoundDoctor, Willowman and MYQ1 like this.
  10. v3spertine

v3spertine Forum Resident

From my age group yes (teenagers)

SoundDoctor likes this.
  11. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

My gf just destroyed my stylus through dusting. Now I notice she snagged a tonearm wire out too.
    Thank God for my CD player.

12. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

If this is your display (at home)
    then...

Don’t be so hard on yourself = ‘Rich in Spirit’!

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I'm curious about the classical titles on the right hand side.

Mbe likes this.
  14. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

With free postage offered to all credible (‘poor’) applicants *proof required;
    [​IMG]

Dave S likes this.
  15. I am the only one who cleans my gear. Hope you are still happy together:wave:

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  16. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Still together except I do the dusting in THAT corner of the room! Costly too. Was an Ortofon 2M Bronze and my turntable is now at the menders!

17. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

I still get scoffed at for buying CDs from vinyl people, and scoffed at for buying LPs from the digital people...and I think anyone who is married to a format is daft, because I have a turntable and an SACD player, and both can sound fantastic, or not, wholly dependent on mastering. .

Ymmv.

18. Ouch. I think she owes you a special night!!

SoundDoctor likes this.
  19. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

My mantra the last couple months has been discs, discs, and more discs!

20. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

People don't scoff, but they do pooh-pooh.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Yeah, no one understands why I still actually purchase music on CD when everything is available on streaming. (Hopefully the sarcasm in that last part got through) I stream, I'm not completely out of touch, but I stream basically to discover music I don't know, both new and old. If If i find something on streaming i really like i buy the CD. Call me crazy but I actually like to have a physical product exchanged for my actual, real cash. I've already seen things I like disappear from streaming so I don't think I'm crazy for not totally trusting streaming services to have everything i want. But, haters be damned, I'll keep buying CDs until I either have everything I want (probably never) or it just becomes impossible (probably not in my lifetime but who really knows...).

Alan57, StormSignal, jay.dee and 6 others like this.
  22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

CDs will still be available at least through Discogs and Ebay, and on Amazon unless Music Labels just stop putting out New Albums on CD. It is CD Players(New Models) that will most likely end being made first, so stock up on a few of them in case one breaks down. Glad I bought the Oppo 105D Used(NM) off of Ebay last year and a decent price for Like New.

Also, CDs seem to remain popular in Japan for some reason. Would be interesting to know how buying CDs versus Streaming breaks down in that country.

Audiowannabee and bvb1123 like this.
  23. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

I was 16 when I got my first disc. I was nervous at first, but I soon found I could take plenty of discs, sometimes two or three discs at a time. I'm always on the lookout for more discs, I just can't get enough.

pablorkcz likes this.
  24. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Couple of years ago I bought a nice Sony BD/DVD/CD player with a digital outputs (HDMI & digital RCA) that sounds great.

I haven't used it in years but believe my original Kenwood CD player from 1987 would still work if I tried it.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  25. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

My kids will make fun of my cd collection every now and then. But they actually understand my need to “own” the music I love. They are just not in a place financially to buy a system and start their own collection. Maybe someday. Maybe not as they seem pretty content with streaming. Although they do love to listen to my system!

Audiowannabee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.