Do you go record hunting while you are on a trip?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by silvina, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Obviously. I'm going to Dublin next week and there' s a little good shop where...

2. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

I want to plan a trip to Japan, just to buy music. :D

3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I used to. However the last time I went to an above average record store, Soundgarden in Fells Point, Baltimore, MD, I had no desire to pick up anything. Just jaded, I guess or maybe just more interested in the overall travelling experience.

4. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

Yes, although it's getting harder and harder to find good used vinyl stores. The selection has really dried up in many locations.

AlienRendel and Musician95616 like this.
  5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

This.

UK as well.

To answer the original question, yes, my wife and I have planned vacations around the locations of record shops. No further than New England though

MedozK and Sean like this.
  6. samsondale

samsondale Forum Resident

I go to Japan every year and my primary activity (when I am freed of family obligations) is to haunt the used record shops in Kobe, and occasionally Osaka and Tokyo.

kevinsponge, s m @, forthlin and 4 others like this.
  7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I soooo want a few particular Japan presses. You are a lucky guy. One day I'll make the trip.

8. samsondale

samsondale Forum Resident

I stumbled on a tiny shop in Kobe that was very particular about where each record was pressed, etc. it was a bit over my head but for folks who understand that stuff ...

s m @ and Gavinyl like this.
  9. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

September 2014 and 2015 we spent almost 4 weeks in Europe. My husband found vinyl gems in a few second hand record stores in Germany. He scored really collectible and obscure stuff for a very fair price. So this year we are not heading to Europe and he's kind of sad... We will be in Mexico where there is not so much availability.

As for me,I am riding my bike every day for 15 KM ( 10 miles? ). For this 'effort' I deserve an extra incentive - a little treat - 5 bucks worth of LPs at our local second hand record store - (with over 1 million copies) that has a summer blow out sale. 100 K records they want to get rid of for a 1 CAD each! On my ride back home I stop for a couple of hours and dig.

A larger section of the sale area is classical and after hours of digging through thousands of LPs, I bought so far over 150 copies of mint or near mint condition Deutsche Grammophon, DECCA, EMI Angel etc.... vinyl with my favourite conductors and soloists 'creme de la creme'.
    I also found a few near mint copies of my fave jazz fusion musicians like Jean-Luc Ponty, Chic Corea, Billy Cobham, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Al Di Meola, Alphonse Mouzon etc...for a buck each, so now we have multiples at home.

I had to get my own little IKEA shelf for my classical LPs and vintage Foods of the World Time Life cookbooks (another amazing score at the second hand book store here). Yesterday I treated myself to my own vintage turntable and amp for my August 1st 2016 20 year smoke free anniversary. How's that? :D
    [​IMG]

Jonboy, Dublintown, s m @ and 17 others like this.
  10. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I typically do if I have time while visiting someplace new, but I don't structure the day around it. For example, I was in San Francisco recently. My travelling buddy wanted to go to the Grateful Dead house in the Haight. That provided the perfect opportunity to stop by Amoeba where I found some awesome stuff. We then biked Golden Gate park.

I buy a fair amount of stuff on EBay and Amazon, but I prefer to be able to evaluate potential purchases directly, so I love popping into stores when I can.

Lord Philcore and AlienRendel like this.
  11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Years ago, planning a travel itinerary based upon record store locations seemed so fun.
    (Once in Santa Cruz, I stumbled upon the entire Anthony Phillips catalog for $3 apiece, all still sealed!!!)

Nowadays some shops seem so far in between... Which obviously depends what city you're traveling to.

For my next big trip, wherever it may be, I plan to Search the threads here in advance for expert advice....

There are dedicated vinyl hunters here that if you're looking for a certain release, would probably pinpoint exactly what shelf in a record bin in the back corner of the side room of that record store for you.

12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Hey, I know some guys that found all kinds of things while on tour in the Navy. Cameras, motorcycles, you name it. :agree:

HiFi Guy 008 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  13. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I don't buy to the same extent as before, but yes I continue to visit record stores whenever I take a trip anywhere. I still like to browse.

14. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

No, but I sometimes trip while hunting for records.

Sean, AlienRendel and dbsea like this.
  15. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I have. Of note, bought the Lard cd catalog in North Caroline, and the Church of Misery catalog in Arizona. I'm sure there's more, but those are the first that come to mind.

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have souvenirs of places like Amoeba and the now-gone Other Music that I visited on various trips.

AlienRendel likes this.
  17. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Every single time.

Sean, AlienRendel and Vinyl Addict like this.
  18. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

I used to have a turntable that was identical to yours, back in my teens/20's. However, I was talked into getting rid of it, by an ex-girlfriend (being young and stupid). I really miss that turntable, because it was a good one.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  19. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

Found a decent little second-hand copy of Otis Redding's The Soul Album at a fruit stand on my way through California on my last vacation. My eyes lit up when I saw they had records.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  20. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Do I breathe when I go on a trip? :agree:

Andrew and AlienRendel like this.
  21. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

I'm on a trip right now and went for Audio gear.

22. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I only visit places where I could go record hunting.

troggy likes this.
  23. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Yes - have done it in Europe on business when time allows, and have definitely done it when traveling to other states (sometimes to the annoyance of those traveling with me).

Have a great memory of being in southern California back in the late 70's and going to Blue Meanie Records near San Diego - pre-internet era and I spent more than a few dollars on stuff.

forthlin likes this.
  24. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

That's why I like visiting Wisconsin.

troggy and AlienRendel like this.
  25. M321115

M321115 Forum Resident

Indeed I do. I drive from Cincy to Atlanta a few times a month for business and I always stop at McKays in Knoxville and Chatanooga TN. These stops are the highlights of my trips....always!

MedozK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.