Do you go record hunting while you are on a trip?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by silvina, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I used too. I would look up addresses for a store or two when we traveled. But with record shops closing up I don't bother anymore. It was usually my favorite part of a trip. I have great memories of repeatedly going to Yonge street in Toronto. Then sadly watch the shops close one by one with each new visit. Our trip to the UK was fun but one major shop had just closed in Picadilly Circus before we arrived. Went to a nearby HMV that was okay but I was disappointed the other store (which looked way bigger) was now empty. That's the way it is.

2. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Only when I'm travelling out of the country. Japan is especially good for discs not readily available in the US.

lonelysea likes this.
  3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

If she who must be obeyed will allow it:cheers:

wwright and Vinyl Addict like this.
  4. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

As mentioned in this thread, I always make it a point to visit at least one Tower Records when I visit Tokyo. Japan also has a burgeoning craft beer scene so I have all my bases covered!

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I ALWAYS look for record stores while I'm traveling. A fresh source of records, particularly if I'm in a foreign country.

6. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I used to when it was just me, or with my wife. But now that trips have the kids along with us I don't. I remember finally finding McCartney's Unplugged vinyl release on a trip to Ottawa Canada within the year it was released. The big record stores on Yonge Street in Toronto were always a must stop anytime I was in town there.

7. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

I went on a cruise round the Baltic 2 weeks ago. I found a shop in Tallin, Estonia called Lasering that had a decent selection of used LPs. I bought two.

The most records I have ever bought in one shop was in Amoeba in San Francisco...

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  8. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

The first time I went to Paris, France, late '70s, I found a small record section in a back room of a clothes boutique. I came away with several French copies of Jefferson Airplane lps, and a French 7" of Patti Smith's Gloria. No problem bringing that all back on a ferry, but when I buy vinyl in America I have to think about the weight. I always bring records back in my carry-on bag, would never trust them to my checked-in luggage.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  9. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Going away next week and knowing the area already, I have visited a nice music shop where it took me at least a minute to grab a handful of CDs I couldn't leave. When I was in there, I was thinking "Better not get started looking through the LPs." :shh: I use Amazon a lot, but it's still fun. That day that ends, I can't think or see it quite yet.

Whenever I'm travelling for a few days, I'll do the rounds of the charity shops or whatever and often come back heavily laden...

10. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I go on trips to hunt records.

11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

If there is a store in the area I have heard good things about, I'll make a special trip there. If I happen to just see a store I'll check it out. I got lucky once at a Sam Goody that had some Audio Fidelity gold discs, sealed, that were years old but still marked with the original price. I think that was in San Diego.

12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Almost always.

13. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

All the time

14. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

Zia's in Vegas.

The Killer likes this.
  15. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Absolutely.

I feel certain you won't find too much that isn't available online but for me that's not the point.

It's as much experiencing the local vinyl/music scene and talking with other like-minded folks about our hobby. Years from now I won't remember if I got the new (fill in the blank) on Ebay or Amazon but I will remember getting that Canadian pressing of Rubber Soul in Montreal or FFS on red vinyl in Vienna.

And yeah, it's that important to me. Music experiences are very valuable.

jalexander and Yost like this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Always and I have often found great stuff.
    One of my most memorable visits to a backstreet record shop was in Menton (French Riviera near the Italian border). This was in about 1992 or something and vinyl was history. This shop had a back room with tons of vinyl that the owner was selling off really cheap. I could have bought a hundred or more but I had to settle with about 10 (from memory: Harvest, Reactor, American Star 'n' Bars, Rust Never Sleeps, Physical Grafitti, Tres Hombrés, Déguelo, El Loco,...)

DTK and No Static like this.
  17. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

When the boyfriend and I went to Barcelona, I ended up stopping into three record shops! He's really not a vinyl fan, but he knew I couldn't help myself! ;) I was looking to see if I could find anything that was harder to find in the US (and easier abroad!) - Walked away with three LPs (didn't have a bunch of suitcase room, you know!) including Maxwell - Urban Hang Suite! So I was happy!

18. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yes, we've been to Austin, San Diego, Chicago, Boston and San Francisco over the past three years. I've gone record shopping in each city. Some really good stores in those towns.

19. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

ALWAYS!

DTK likes this.
  20. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

Every album time.

Waterloo Records was great when I was in Austin on business.

tvstrategies likes this.
  21. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Yup, if I have enough time and cash, I ALWAYS look for record stores to hit when I am planning a trip.

22. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Definitely. Its mandatory for me.

Andrew likes this.
  23. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Sorry for your disappointment. If you are searching online you may find info about record stores that are no longer in business or have moved. When in doubt send an email to make sure before you leave on your trip. Based on comments on this Forum Manhattan and Virginia don't seem to be great places for finding CDs, used or new anymore. Record stores are in more out of the way locations so they don't have to pay high rent.

24. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

You know it. Record stores, thrift shops, flea markets, yard sales...

25. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Yep, did it last week when I went to Christchurch (Penny Lane Records).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.