Do you have a working Nintendo NES game system

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No it isn't. I can get a loose SNES copy for well under $20 any time I want from multiple sources.

2. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I don't know, I have no problem finding Link to the Past, anywhere. Doing a search on Ebay for "Zelda SNES" brings up 254 results.

Regardless, I just wish prices for SNES games will come down a little.

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I was originally responding as to why the cost of that game might be over $50 and then to the person who said they can't be rare. I didn't go on eBay and research this, I just responded. If they only cost $25 then the must not be that high.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The game is popular and well-loved, and was also mss-produced over several years as a result. Anyone who pays anything over about $25 for a loose copy, or maybe $40 or $50 (tops!) for a mint boxed copy (with manual) is not shopping around enough.

5. marblesmike

Loose cartridges and mint complete-in-box copies are two different animals. A collector will pay significantly more for a mint CIB copy because how many kids really kept the manual and box in mint condition. There is genuine scarcity when dealing with mint CIB games, especially those that were beloved and played to death. $40-50 "tops" for a mint CIB copy of LTTP is a steal. If you see one for that price, scoop it up for me and I'll pay you double.

It's like getting a mint complete copy of DSOTM vs one in a generic sleeve with none of the inserts.

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Mostly the high-rated classics that you'd see on any "best SNES games" lists.... eg. Super Metroid, Super Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country, Turtles in Time, Super Star Wars, etc.... I only just bought the system last weekend, so I want to build my collection by getting some of the really good ones to start off with. (I already have Super Mario World and A Link to the Past). I'm planning to check out a few pawn shops & flea markets over the next little while and see if I can find some of these games for better prices than at the expensive store I mentioned earlier.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is a great platform with some really beautiful graphics and nice music.

8. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Today in the mail I received 9 (!) classic Konami games in a bundle auction I won on eBay. It included:

Castlevania
    Castlevania 2
    Castlevania 3
    Contra
    Super C
    Metal Gear
    Gradius
    Life Force
    Jackal

I'm having a real blast with this thing. I actually never owned any of these games when I had my original NES, leaving me to play them later on emulators, but playing the games now on my NES I had no idea how great these games are! At least Castlevania, Gradius and Contra, as those are the only three from the set I've played so far.

Castlevania is a gem.

The Hud likes this.
  9. turneraz

turneraz New Member

none of the games would work. i'm assuming the connector just gave up. the retro-bit console cost just a few dollars more than the connector so i went ahead and bought that instead. every game has worked so far.

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I would add F-Zero, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Street Fighter II, Final Fantasy II, and Final Fantasy III.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

F-Zero is a blast! Street Fighter II Turbo is my favorite version of the game.

The Hud likes this.
  12. The Hud

I love F-Zero as well. It is a toss up for me between the Street Fighters. Turbo is faster, and Vega can climb the fence, but I like the 4 extra fighters in Super. I am glad I own both.

13. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Has anyone heard of the NES "death grip"?

I bought my console from a retro game store a few weeks ago and he replaced the 72 pin connector. I noticed that games fit into the console in a very tight manner, and it took games a couple attempts of removing it and reinserting it to get the game to boot. Some games have taken me several minutes to get going. Apparently, the replacement pin connectors they make these days are super tight. I was about to bring it into the store this weekend to get it repaired because it had been causing me problems but I've been reading that this is a pretty common occurrence. The new connectors actually force you to NOT push the game down as you usually would when it's in the console. Instead you leave it hanging up. Today I cleaned the pin connector inside the console with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol, and started leaving the games in the upright position inside the console and they read much better. I still run into problems every once in a while but now games have gone from reading right away 1% of the time to more like 50% of the time.

Anyway, I ask because has anybody run into this problem on here? Does this occur mainly because they get put back together incorrectly? Like the pins might be bent out of shape?

14. marblesmike

No it's common. Play with the game up rather than pushing it down.

15. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Yep, that's what I have been doing and it is working much better. I heard they start to read like normal over time after the pins loosen up.

16. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I have one but I havent used it in along time..... Lost interest in it.....

I would LOVE getting my Atari 2600 running again!!!!! (dont have a cord to plug it in!!)

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

18. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Those new 72 pin connectors that everyone pushes now are cheap Chinese knock offs. They will often have a "death grip" and some of them could potentially damage your games. Before going that route, I'd recommend taking your console apart and cleaning your original 72 pin connector. Most of the time it is just filthy and needs a good cleaning, and will work like new after. You should be sure to clean your games as well.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This is good advice. Often all the pin connector and games need is a cleaning with rubbing alcohol diluted with water.

20. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I've read this too. Unfortunately I bought my NES used and the guy refurbished it with one of those tight PIN connectors so it's my only option for now. I may upgrade to the A/V Famicom within a year. I am now afraid of my games getting damaged though. They work better when in the upward position but still require quite a bit of force. Dang technology :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  21. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Isn't the power cord hardwired to the back of the machine?

23. The Hud

Ebay has plenty of power cords for $9.

Dude111 likes this.
  24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

25. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.