Do you have the correct/original inner sleeves into each LPs in your collection? Pics and history.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Giorgio, Oct 29, 2019.

1. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Did you even read the thread? I wasn't the only one who said something like this.

2. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Yes, all of it, since it started.

Giorgio likes this.
  3. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

What's the title of the thread by the way? So I deserve a strong reaction for answering the question?

4. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Do you have - not what do you do with. Clearly this thread is about keeping the correct inner sleeve for LP's collected . If they are thrown out then what does that have to do with keeping them?

5. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

The answer you can obviously take from the post is "no I don't" so what's wrong with explaining where they go? I could be stacking them like another person mentioned for all you know.

6. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Sure. Thanks for your contribution to the knowledge base :)

7. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I can see that... I don't really consider myself a collector as much as a listener anyway, but those dated UK sleeves really do help when considering a purchase of a pricey LP. I have six versions of Who's Next and finding an original issue with a dated sleeve was a great find.

8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

You are not saying a Banquet Exists with a peephole are you?
    As for the inners I know glue can fail and the poly come away from the paper is that what you mean by forensics, a replacement bag glued in.

Giorgio likes this.
  9. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Still more than your contribution of just aimlessly arguing with me. :laugh: I don't see a post where you build the knowledge base. I didn't know it was my duty to do that. I thought it was a message board where you're free to comment when someone asks a question.

10. All Down The Line

Are you saying Banquet vinyl was not exclusively pressed in house but farmed out?

11. All Down The Line

Good call, Low Spark in Australia got the custom inner Bag also!

Giorgio likes this.
  12. All Down The Line

?

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

No. Just talking numbers being pressed. If a label did a run of say 25,000 pressings, its almost impossible to tell # 1000 from # 22000. If mother / stamper codes are used it helps, but not a lot of labels did that.

No peephole I am aware of on Beggars.

The forensics reference is holding the sleeve 'window' to the light to see if the bag shows evidence of having a deep groove or smooth label pressing in it.

Fixing a poly liner where the glue has dried up is easy. Double sided tape. Cut some thin strips and inch or two long, use tweezers to place where the glue stains are, and voila. Have to handle it all (sleeve and bag) right but it works beautifully.

Giorgio and All Down The Line like this.
  14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

What happened is we were in the middle of talking special inners used on UK pressings (whch add to their collectible value) and you posted - generally - about not saving generic company inners. I presumed you were referring to US pressings but the context of your post right there at that point looked out of place. No biggie.

Giorgio likes this.
  15. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

With sleeves like these, I can help but count how many of the albums I have.

(Top: seven; bottom: eleven)

FJFP and Giorgio like this.
  16. All Down The Line

Thank you Sherlock!

Giorgio likes this.
  17. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident Thread Starter

If I have well understood your comment, you have eighteen of these inners...are they all in LP released from '68 to '69/'70?

All Down The Line likes this.
  18. Eno_Fan

Eno_Fan Staring into the abyss: Brockman BIF, Pilbara WA

And as with such things, the history is a little more complex. The pic below shows the pale blue poly-lined inner in question, the upper from my UK 1st of 'Tarkus' (pressed 1971), the lower from my UK 1st of 'For Your Pleasure' (pressed 1973). Note the different Island addresses in the intervening years, changing from St. Peters Sq. W11 in 1971 to the Basing Street W8 of 1972 (although 'FYP' is 1973, the same Basing St. address is present on the sleeve of my UK 1st of 'Roxy Music', pressed in 1972).

I don't care about generic inner-sleeves I have to say, but happened across this Thread and it jolted my memory so I thought that I would share what (little) I know...

[​IMG]

19. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Mostly...I keep the original inner sleeves even if I use a poly sleeve for protection. A few here and there are are missing.

Giorgio likes this.
  20. Giorgio

Any information is welcome, and your contribution regarding the address on these inners (and their period of use) is really good!
    I have two with "island records ltd basing street london" address, but with "W11", and not "W8". What would the number mean in your opinion?

One of these is included in this copy Jethro Tull - This Was
    And at this point it could be not the correct one...even though this Discogs release should be at least from '70, not '69 ...
    The other is here Jethro Tull - Benefit
    This one should be in the right place.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  21. progmog

progmog Senior Member

W11 and W8 are just London postcodes - they are part of the address. The postcode for St. Peter's Square was W11, while the postcode for Basing Street was W8.

All Down The Line and Giorgio like this.
  22. Giorgio

So..."Basing Street W11" is not correct...is it a mistake on these inners?

23. Eno_Fan

Eno_Fan Staring into the abyss: Brockman BIF, Pilbara WA

I would think so -- check it again (Street name and Postcode are a unique combination in UK addressing to avoid difficulties with postage destination...)

Giorgio likes this.
  24. Giorgio

"Basing Street London W11" confirmed on both my inners.
    As in your pic, the one at the bottom anyway.

25. progmog

progmog Senior Member

No mistake on the inners, it’s me who got them ar$e-about-face! W8 is the postcode for St Peter’s Square and W11 is the postcode for Basing Street. Apologies for any confusion caused by my mistake.

It’s a good job I’m not a taxi-driver!

All Down The Line and Giorgio like this.