Do you have the correct/original inner sleeves into each LPs in your collection? Pics and history.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Giorgio, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Early Stones were on Decca, and an excellent source for their original inners is this one: DECCA Inner Bags – Stones on Decca

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Ugh... brain fart. Thought the Emitex sleeves were also for Decca LPs.
    They look so similar. Funny enough I have these Decca inner sleeves, too.^^

Giorgio likes this.
  3. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This Island design was used in the UK in the early 1980s for some releases - I got this one with B-2 Unit by Ryuichi Sakamoto

PH416156, mradmack and Giorgio like this.
  4. Giorgio

These inners are a jungle, easy to get confused :agree:

muffmasterh and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

When a sleeve is good, but factory, I keep it even if the record is a reject. I keep a stock of original company sleeves like this. If someone has a great copy and needs one, and I have one I can spare, ask. Start a conversation.

AaronW and Giorgio like this.
  6. Jskoda

Jskoda Forum Resident

OK, here's my list of U.S. Decca "arrow" inner sleeves.

Decca began using the arrow logo in the U.S. around 1962, and they changed to a different logo in 1970. So between 1962 and 1970, U.S. Decca used a series of inner sleeves for popular records with a similar design but a different background color and updated album releases for each. I've seen nine of them. They looked like the yellow and dark orange sleeves shown at the beginning of this thread.

I'm a longtime Brenda Lee collector, so I'm basing my dates on which Brenda LP is pictured on the sleeves and when those were released.

Yellow, used after 8/1961
    Red, used after 2/1962
    Dark Blue, used after 2/1963
    Light Purple, used after 12/1963
    Light Orange, used after 5/1964
    Gold, used after 2/1965
    Green, used after 5/1965
    Dark Orange, used after 7/1966
    Bright Blue, used after 3/1968

Also, sometime in 1965/1966, there was a special grayscale sleeve with a different design saying "America's Greatest Entertainers are on Decca Records." This was used only briefly, and then they went back to the regular design.

As you can see, they stopped changing these as often in the mid-1960s, so the dark orange and bright blues are the most common.

Seriously trivial information, but fun to know!

BrentB, Raunchnroll, izgoblin and 3 others like this.
  7. Giorgio

WOW, for early standard US Decca inners you are THE MAM, this is A FEEDBACK :thumbsup:, many thanks for this :targettiphat:

Hey, they are not "trivial information", they come from experience and careful and precise work by a serious vimyl's collector, we all need Guys like you, LOL!!

So, with ref at the beginning of this thread, the correct inners should be:
    - For The Who "My Generation" (released in the US in April 1966) >> the Green one, used from 5/1965 to 7/1966;
    - For The Who "Magic Bus" (released in October 1968) >> the Bright Blue one, used after 3/1968.
    Is my understanding correct?

izgoblin likes this.
  8. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

My Transformer has a "Dynaflex" sleeve - same text as your Rock 'n' Roll Animal one, but much smaller printing. I have no idea what's original.

Giorgio likes this.
  9. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I have all my vinyl inner sleeves from all my records starting from the mid 60s - but i replaced them all with lined sleeves to better protect them and moved the original sleeves to boxes. Now I have no idea what sleeve goes with what record.

10. Giorgio

Thanks a lot for the comparison with a US RCA's LP in your collection!

Transformer is from 1972, and Rock 'n' Roll Animal is from 1974.
    Same layout but difference in text's size...the questions are: is the text size the only requirement needed to understand? Are they both in the correct album's era?

Feddback from others are very welcome!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    misteranderson likes this.
  11. Giorgio

This thread could help you to make order to recompose the original set-up (of each?) of your albums, if this is of interest to you :)

12. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I have an original mono Beatles Second Album with a promo hole punched through the cover, and corresponding inner sleeve, so I'd say that's a correct match!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Giorgio

Over the years I have kept with me all the inners that I found in good condition, contained in albums in poor condition.
    Honestly, I don't remember if these two come from US copies of Beatles LPs on Capitol (they are both the same), and I'm not an expert on them ...
    Do you have it in your original US Beatles Capitol Albums collection?
    If yes, in which album you have it?
    If not, do you have an idea in what years can we place it?

[​IMG]

14. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

It is, but I'd have to get the sleeves out of storage and go through them. Obviously it's easy to match the sleeve to the label, but when you have dozens of albums on that label from the same year, it becomes harder. Sometimes the records on the sleeve will make it obvious, sometimes not so much.

Giorgio likes this.
  15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Think that fits as inner sleeve for the Help! soundtrack, as this isn't on the ads. Generally I think this might be mid-65.

Giorgio likes this.
  16. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

Great idea, @Giorgio !
    I start with UK Track - Who Sell Out (1970).

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. Jskoda

Jskoda Forum Resident

Yes, roughly. These dates aren't exact. Plus, some LPs may have gotten slightly older sleeves if they had them to use up. Also, if it has a newer sleeve, that's probably from a slightly later pressing. But, in general, what you say is what I'd expect.

This is interesting stuff to me. I also collect soundtrack albums, and some of them stayed in print forever. Sometimes dating the inner sleeve is the only way to figure out the rough age of the LP.

Giorgio likes this.
  18. Giorgio

Nice!
    This is the better proof of original inner IMHO, when a promo hole punched on the cover fits exactly with the one on its inner :righton:

PhoffiFozz and daveidmarx like this.
  19. Giorgio

You have hard work to do, but in the end you'll be glad I think :agree:

20. Giorgio

Agreed that this is from mid-65, but...do you think that the record companies printed inners with titles not yet released but close to release?
    If this inner was in the Help! album, it means it was printed before the album was released...
    So, did they print inners also dedicated to upcoming releases, in advance?

21. Giorgio

Thanks, you are welcome!!!
    I'm not familiar with this title, but Discogs says this is a reissue dated November 1970, so, that inner is the correct one :righton:

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  22. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The only other Dynaflex I have from around that time is an original Ziggy, but that one has a black & white sleeve with lyrics and pictures, and I'm 99% sure it's the correct one.

Giorgio likes this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Giorgio likes this.
  24. Giorgio

Yes of course, I think that it is not possible to have exact certainty, unless someone who was working in a pressing plant at the time gives us a testimony with detailed and competent explanations, because I don't think there is documentation available on this topic on the internet...
    Until then, having feedback from those who have been collecting for many years like this above (early US Decca inners) is very important to me and you have a good guideline to follow IMHO.

25. Giorgio

DITTO: my fault, confused "Help!" with "Beatles 65", and my questions were accordingly...now it's clear.

andrewskyDE likes this.