Do you have the correct/original inner sleeves into each LPs in your collection? Pics and history.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Giorgio, Oct 29, 2019.

1. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I'm pretty certain, it's just a plain white inner sleeve. I'm at work at the moment, but I will check when I get back home this evening.

Giorgio likes this.
  2. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

In Germany too, but only the first run had them (and there were only stereo pressings here).

[​IMG]

Mylene, c-eling, izgoblin and 2 others like this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

They are not sensational on labels either!

Giorgio likes this.
  4. All Down The Line

Not UK Stones.

Bingo Bongo, Raunchnroll and Giorgio like this.
  5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Philistine! ;)

Gaslight and izgoblin like this.
  6. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

For old, plain, ripped inners I replace then but if there is some artwork I always keep. e.g 70s Bluenotes had those musical notes on the inners.

Slightly off topic...I have a VG+ UK 1st press of Sticky Fingers but for some reason it doesn't have the piece of paper with the band photo and tracklisting...not sure how I'm going to just find that!

[​IMG]

7. THE801

THE801 Forum Resident

Thanks, I imagined it was just a white one but it'd nice to know for sure.

Giorgio likes this.
  8. All Down The Line

Interesting as Christoph Maus claims those inners were issued with Original 2D sleeves & the red/white smoke inners with 3D (import?) jackets.

Giorgio likes this.
  9. Mlle. Aurora

Can't comment on that except the first run of the WG release (bright red Decca labels) was in a 3-D sleeve (probably made in UK, that's why there are some mono sleeves containing a WG stereo pressing which led to the myth of a WG mono Sat. Maj. which doesn't exist). And my WG Decca 1st press (shown above) has a UK sleeve (TXS 103, Robert Stace) and comes from someone who definitely bought it new and never swapped the inners because he had no other copy.
    And I have yet to see a WG original in a "smoke" inner.

All Down The Line and Giorgio like this.
  10. All Down The Line

That's that!

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Look at my later post. I had just another brain fart back then.

All Down The Line likes this.
  12. Mlle. Aurora

French Kraftwerk compilation ... with suggestions how to handle your records.

[​IMG]

c-eling, andrewskyDE and Giorgio like this.
  13. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

I had the same obsession with the Capitol US sleeves early in my Beatles collecting and found this guy had already done much of the research for me:

http://www.friktech.com/btls/inner.pdf

14. All Down The Line

No worries.

Giorgio likes this.
  15. All Down The Line

A. Not every one but as many as I possibly can so that is the majority.

Giorgio likes this.
  16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

All Down The Line and Giorgio like this.
  17. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bingo Bongo and letmerollit like this.
  18. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

:tiphat:

Giorgio likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's cool!

letmerollit and Giorgio like this.
  20. Michael

my copy of MTB has the blue Sinatra inner sleeve...

letmerollit and Giorgio like this.
  21. Jskoda

Jskoda Forum Resident

Yes, this is great! One thing Capitol used to do in the 50s and into the early 60s was write the catalog number of the LP, usually in blue pencil, on the bottom of the white sleeve during the assembly process. So for those early LPs, you can still tell if the sleeve is the right one!

I think this was unique to Capitol--don't know of any other company that did that.

izgoblin and Giorgio like this.
  22. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident Thread Starter

For standard inner agreed!

23. Michael

I agree...I've haven't seen any other...

Giorgio likes this.
  24. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

It doesn't work for me.

First, a record made 1 or 2 months after the release date does not equate to a "repress" or a reissue. This shows a lack of understanding on how manufacturing on a large scale works. Records were made in runs with stampers getting replaced. Manufacturing continued as long as demand existed. With a popular record theres no clear distinct point at which an 'issue' (as in first or second issue) was occurring. There were rarely big clean distinct breaks. That first / second issue stuff is all collector made up verbiage that is in accurate except for small run records. And major labels often used multiple plants that were pressing independent of each other - s o which one was first?

As far as advertising inner sleeves, a record depicted on the paper does not need to be in an actual released state in order for it to be shown on a sleeve. If it was slated for release the following month - so be it. Its on the sleeve to be advertised. These advertising inners were made up by the labels themselves, by their marketing department or whatever. They knew what was in the pipeline for release in the near future, or, had already released. This is not rocket science. So these hyper technical break downs of what is on the sleeve and what state of release they were in is just silliness. This leaves out the notion of how accurate those release dates were in fact. A gander through old Billboard and other trade magazines shows how elastic this stuff was.

The original inner for Who's Next? I've seen them with the Headhunters and the classic Polydor date code inners with various dates before and around the official release date. The fact that the Headhunter sleeve states the LP is 'released' does not mean that the sleeve must have been made later. Guess what? -- its possible to run off paper before or about the same time a record is being released so that a few weeks pr months down the road the advertisment is accurate.

I have quite a number of UK pressings that have their original inner showing dates that are sometimes several months before the published (and supposedly accurate?) release date. Big mystery? Nope, just means they were being sleeved with inner sleeves stocks on hand. No one cared that records going out in January 1969 were being assembled with sleeves having a date code of October 1968.

25. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Looks good. RCA in the UK (in the early 70') used a plain square sleeve with the center window using paer that had a finished or coated outside and a distinctly 'textured' inside. The 'important notice' text seems to shw up around 1974 or so. Then starting in 1975 they added a nifty little date code to the bottom corner. For example '10-75'

Giorgio likes this.